Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

detection seems pretty good here. not as high as i would say some of the very top ones are but its free. and its still very good. the emalware error happened yesterday on e a few systems but was fixed and auto updated within maybe 20min after i saw that error. actually i installed this on a clients pc today who used to run avast free and got tired of the pop ups as well was upset it installed chrome AND the google toolbar on his system when it updated without asking him. so far its only been one day but he said its working very well for him and plans to by it for the 10$

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

So what? :doubt: Ignore that guy's test, after all Roboscan does not have cloud or browser sandbox functions. GData and F-Secure at times have "lost" to BD despite using their latest engine. :cool: If you can't trust an AV you shouldn't use it.

I like that it uses the BD engine, yes. But I also like it's usability, performance, stability, and the nicely designed GUI. ;)

BitDefender is an awesome engine and all, however, maybe some of us are overestimating its detection. :doubt: It is possible for it to miss a lot of things.

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Tried it out (as per the VBulletin thread) and it wasn't usable on my system. GUI crashes, freezing when changing options, and would take excessive time to initialise for a scan or to cancel a scan. I'm not really interested to work out what the issue was.

Tested against a big list of malware samples taken from malwaretips, and it hardly found any of them. By comparison, Panda/MBAM/Kingsoft found most of them - as did manual scanners Dr Web CureIT & McAfee Stinger.

These are my personal experiences with it, YMMV.

4. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

REAL TIME PROTECTION IN ACTION ON WIN 8
    I found a FP :D but is a good way to check if Roboscan works or not
    - Make sure RealTime Protection is enabled and setAutomatic clean and Notify ON
    - Download Foobar 2000 last beta version 1.1.14 from their site
    When download is complete, it disappear and you have a popup near the clock, clicking on it appears the main realtime windows and you can manage quarantine for this file
    The file is not really cleaned but simply moved (backup to tell the true) to quarantine so you can easy manage it

Everyone can try

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

With regard to the poor detection rates some are experiencing, ff you look at the most recent Virus Bulletin RAP tests, Roboscan is only very slightly behind Bitdefender for reactive detection. It even outscores Kaspersky.

It is behind in proactive detection, and suprisingly ESTsoft scores higher here.
    However it does score better than Avast, AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I keep coming back to it. It really is that good.

A word on testing sites, in no way do they really reflect the average user so in reality it is hard to say that a product is good or bad for you when you have not seen it tested how you would use it.

7. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

+1 on that, I think lack of firewall control is the one area where RIS has any shortcomings. I really like the program though, have it on my desktop, both of my kids desktops, and my wife's laptop. What's pretty cool is after installing RIS on my kids pc's, they both came to me to say their pc's are suddenly much faster doing almost anything.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Glad to see after 8 months of being out, people are finally discovering this program.

9. blasev

blasev Registered Member

yup, it's very light, I like it so much :D

10. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

romagnolo1973,

How do you move FP out of quarantine and back to where it belongs?

Tks.

11. Romagnolo1973

is simply impossible :D :thumbd:
    Roboscan tells you when you try restore it that you have to disable "RealTine Protection automatically cleans" under configuration setting, but even if you do it Roboscan prompt you about the virus and still continue Quarantine it
    I try to set an exclusion for Foobar setting but Roboscan seems not seeng this exclusion:mad:
    So the only way is disable Roboscan, install Foobar and restart Robo

I hope some Alyac\Roboscan programmers take a look at this issue and solve it

It would be great read some changelogs in their site too
    The realy problem of Robo is that somehing not works as expected you have simply pray god solve it.
    Excluding this thing Robo is realy good, but in IT world have a costumer service is the base for survive

In Korean with google translate must bee something like this :) hoping someone in Roboscan read wilders

단순히 불가능
    당신은 구성 설정에서 'RealTine 제한이 자동으로 청소 "하지만, 당신이 할 경우에도 그것이 Roboscan 바이러스에 대해 메시지를 표시하고 여전히 검역을 계속 사용하지 않도록해야한다는 그것을 복원하려고 할 때 Roboscan 당신을 알려줍니다
    나는 Foobar 설정에 대한 배제를 설정하려고했지만 Roboscan이 제외 seeng되지 않는 것으로 보입니다
    그래서 유일한 방법은, Roboscan 해제 Foobar를 설치하고 로보를 다시 시작합니다

좀 Alyac \ Roboscan 프로그래머가이 문제를 한 번 봐, 그리고 그것을 해결 바랍니다

이거 너무 자신의 사이트에서 일부 changelogs을 읽고 좋을 것
    로보의 realy 문제는 일이 아니라는 단순히 하나님 께서 그것을 해결기도했을 것으로 예상 이치가 아니라는 점이다.
    이 일이 로보를 제외하는 것은 정말 좋지만, 안에 IT가 세계 costumer 서비스를하는 것은 생존을위한 거점

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have Auto Clean - OFF. I'll make the decision.

13. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

is it similar as AUTO PILOT feature of BD ?

many good review of wilders, I'd like to test it in my XP. :D

does RSI compatible with MBAM Pro when installing ?

14. roger_m

Yes it doesn't ask you to uninstall it.

15. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

That translation has a few mistakes. One part looks like a broken sentence, and by the way it is spelled "really". :) Its hard to translate english sentences a little 'cause the words are not organized and many of the words can be interchangeable.

Roboscan in Korean may be 로보 스캔. You would have to put a space between "robo" and "scan" otherwise it won't translate. For "really" (3-4 interchangeable words) you may be able to use 정말 (jeungmal). It may be best to write to them in english than attempting Korean through google translate, or having someone translate it for you.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Roboscan is based in San Fransisco California. here

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am also actively working on getting a rep for them here.

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yeah, we already know Roboscan is based there. :) But like clocks said, it is funny how the product has been out for months and people are just starting to take notice of it. Perhaps us courageous "wilder ones" were the guinea pigs.

A rep is already here, just has not returned yet. Thats all. On the bright side, they appear to working out the leadership issues quite well.

19. zfactor

the only thing that bugs me about this program is i have yet to see it scan anything html wise. everything seems to have to hit the hdd before it gets scanned and or detected. ive tried with a few infected website which i know 100% are malware and this doesnt make a sound. however if i let the system download the file in question it pics it up either once done or upon execution. not sure why.

has anyone else seen the same or have you had detections prior to the download starting or during the download process??

i did buy a couple of the pro versions to support them and use the free on the rest because honestly i dont see any benefit for the "cleaners" it comes with didnt seem to find anything else than my jv16 or auslogics found and a lot of things it didnt find at all that they did.

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I guess it doesn't has a webfilter.Or i'm missing something?

21. Romagnolo1973

Thanks Cloud I imagine Google is not so great in translation. Corean is not so easy I think. And my english is not so great too.
    trjam I know they have an office in USA S.Francisco bay but last time I wrote to Roboscan, concerning the autoupdate issue, I receive only an answer in Korean (could be a auto-response I don't know):thumbd:

zapjb even if you have auto-clean off is impossible execute the file because Robo isolate it. This happens in my Win8 system, I don't try in 7 but I think is the same

zfactor RIS don't have a webfilter so it does not prompt you if you are in a malware site and download something. But as you can see in the pics I attach, if something strange is inside the exe Robo quarantine it. If is a zip file Robo allert you only when you execute the compressed file. Is normal.
    A webfilter\webguard is aimless because if AV don't recognize the malware when you execute it, it does not recognize it when you are dowloadin the file. So is simply a aimless thing, only a marketing idea nothing more than this. Thanks god Robo have not this kind of "features"
    Just use Norton DNS, is 100 times better than webguards

I like Roboscan so I made a thread talking about it (with a little guide\review) in a well know italian IT site
    -http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2488727
    Hoping some italian user use it, talking about RIS I do my best.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  22. zfactor

for the time being i uninstalled this in the pro version format on one of my main machines. it was working okay except the terrible slowdown during startup it was so slllloooowww and this was on a fresh system in which eset avast and others are fine during startup, otherwise it was light. but i need the web scanning on this machine being a work system and one in a while i have a employee who will browse places they shouldnt. so this system back to eset.

i am however still using it on the wife and mothers system for a while to see how that goes.

23. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I've noticed some really slow boot times also, had one yesterday which had to be close to 20 seconds. Also a pretty fresh system with no start up issues with other av programs. It doesn't happen on every start up though, sometimes there's actually no lag at all..

24. zfactor

same here sometimes its fast as can be but man when its slow its really slow...

25. roger_m

I just purchased the pro version. Once again, there's nothing extra I need in the pro version, just supporting the developers.

I haven't really paid any attention to startup times, with Roboscan installed. However this won't be an issue for me as I only reboot when it absolutely necessary - when Windows starts suffering from problems which can only be fixed by restarting. I never reboot when Windows or antivirus updates require a reboot to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.