Roboscan ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

Hey guys. I've been intrigued by this since it's the only (quality) free AV using BitDefender's engine. I am thinking of recommending it along with the three A's, and Panda Cloud AV, but I have a couple questions:

1. Earlier in this thread, it sounds like detection is pretty poor, despite it using BitDefender's engine. Has detection improved?

2. Can the firewall be disabled in case someone wants to use a 3rd-party firewall with it?

Other than that it meets the requirements of being low on bugs and light.

Thanks

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Re: ESTsoft ALYac Antivirus Basic Free: Uses BitDefender and ESTsoft’s Tera Engine

In my tests, it has always performed very well. I would rank it up there with any of the other free AVs. The FW is disabled by default.

3. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

The latest RAP chart shows that ESTSoft scores better than Avast, AVG and most other av's.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Oct11-Apr12-large.jpg

4. Brandonn2010

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

well you can change it to whatever you want and it will display there

6. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

The GUI is very well designed, even the nag screen after each update gives you some useful info regarding number of updated files, and it only behaves like a normal notification above the systray, compared to other freebies' in-your-face nags.

7. Brandonn2010

I put this on my brother's computer to test it. It seems light, the ad is not annoying, and it uses Bitdefender's engine plus their own. The settings are fairly easy to modify. My only complaint is that I dont like the GUI being green :D

8. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Light green (at the right saturation) can help prevent tired eyes. ;)

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like the GUIs color. For a while red was being over-useds by AVs, now black is being over-used. The green stands out a bit.

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I like the green robot logo compared to others logo :D

11. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

i intend to try roboscan but until now i was looking for a link to manually download the database especially for 1st update after install which according to many is quite big & found one today.it is from their korean site as this feature is still not available on their english site.
    http://alyac.altools.co.kr/Public/Download/DbUpdate.aspx
    speed is quite good(~660KBps or ~6mbps on a single connection using remote upload) & i think it is quite handy for those having fast &/or limited plans & intend to install roboscan on a pc with slow/no net access or install frequently/multiple machines.

12. quanzi_1507

13. whitestar_999

it says "coming soon" & judging by previous experiences of some other users users here it takes a long time to update/fix anything related to their international site(english) & product(again english).

14. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I see the manual database download is still "coming soon"

but...
    what was taking so long to fix on their english ver product?
    I didn't find any bug myself, maybe you can point it out?

If it was found, I'll try to report to their korean sites

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  15. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I doubt they speak any english.

16. whitestar_999

i meant issues related to manual/auto update where many users couldn't update completely or the update info shown was older than the bitdefender's own definitions version posted on their site but this has been fixed now.still it is safe to assume that manual downloading of databases feature will take time to become available on their english site.

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

By using my korean friend :D

Ok, the issues has been resolved :thumb:

18. whitestar_999

just tried running the downloaded database file & it gave an error.can someone else check it as i think this definition update file is incompatible with english v2.5 of roboscan.
    http://alyac.altools.co.kr/Public/Download/DbUpdate.aspx

19. quanzi_1507

Maybe because that file wasn't intended for the English version.

Back when the issue with auto-updating was still around I used to download manual DB from the old global ALYac site:

http://global.alyac.com/support/manual_db.aspx

but it proved not to be compatible with Roboscan although technically they are the same thing.

20. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Previously when manual database was available from the global site then too when I had tried it used to mention Roboscan Internet Security need to be installed when infact RIS was already installed. I downloaded the whole manual database twice but the same error.

I tried this software few times but everytimes at the time of install or few days later autoupdate had always prob updating to the latest signatures.

Finally I gave up on this product.

21. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Naren. :D

lol Of course it won't work, the file is in Hangul and is meant for the Korean version.

22. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I had downloaded from the following site when manual database was available & its english language

http://www.roboscan.com/support/manual_db.aspx

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been using RoboScan for a few days (I only heard of it a few days ago), and my exprience so far has been very positive.

I rarely use any antivirus software, as they all cause a performance hit, and even without using any protection it is very rare for me to get infected. From time to time, if an antivirus product looks interesting I'll install it to test it, but I usually uninstall it after a few days.

However, in this case I think I'm going to stick with RoboScan - fast scan times, low memory usage and using Bitdefender's scan engine are all plus points in my opinion. On top of that, so far it has not caused any major impact on my system.

For the time being I'm going to keep using RoboScan, along with the new Kingsoft Antivirus (which works quite happily alongside other security software). Perhaps, my computers will go from being infected once or twice a year to never.

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

That's the combo I have on my main computer.

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You guys are running both RIS & KSAV in real time?

Or is 1 on demand?

To echo, RIS is shaping up to be my favorite AV/IS of all time. I just stopped using KIS for the 1st time in years & years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.