Roboscan. Does anyone use it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brocke, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

just looking for thoughts. I forgot it was even around and wondering if anyone uses it.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What it hasn't been updated in forever.

3. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I never heard of it, till now from you.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It was abandoned three years ago. It still receives Bitdefender and its own definition updates, it is almost always extremely light, and works fine under Windows 10 even though it's too old to officially support it. But, detection rates are not as good as newer products using Bitdefender signnatures.

The Korean language version, ALYac is still in development, and was last updated two months ago.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. boredog

boredog Registered Member

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

A client of mine came with a laptop where I installed this AV back in 2012. The AV still works but the banner below where it used to have ads it now says Feb 28 2017 End of Service click here to learn more. That takes me to their website but there is no news there about it. The links to download it were taken down though. Weird thing is that even though it says that, the definition updates said march 17 2017. So it was still updating somehow. I check the korean website and there is no news there either. Nothing new at all. All the news is old. Too bad because I really liked this AV.

9. roger_m

The installers for Roboscan have not been taken down yet. They've just removed the download links from their website. I just visited the website for the Korean version and it now users Sophos signatures in addition to Bitdefender, while still claiming to be very light. It also says they use whitelisting to reduce false positives.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sheesh Roger you make it sound so appealing. LOL. I really miss it too. I wish ALYac would update the English installers. It was the easiest install & setup of any AV with BD sigs IME.

11. roger_m

I loved Roboscan in the early days. It had good detection rates and was one of the lightest antiviruses.

12. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

I read somewhere that Roboscan violated Microsoft copyright policy about icons which uses (e.g. IE,Recycle bin) and Roboscan ceased to produce Roboscan IS...But as soon as I know, same thing is with Twister antivirus but it is still available...

13. steveangel

steveangel Registered Member

I have used this Software since 2013 somtimes....

I installed this at the beginning of the year but it does not make any signatures updates.
    I am sad about this because I have no speed problems with this software and the protection was really good.
    Is there a possibility at the moment to make manual updates?

Greetz
    Steve

14. roger_m

You can manually download the zip file with the latest signatures from Bitdefender's website and extract it to Roboscan's definitions folder. However, I strongly advise against that, as Roboscan does not offer very good detection rates. If you compare Roboscan with other antiviruses using Bitdefender signatures, Roboscan will detect less malware. If you combine that with Roboscan's lack of proactive protection, it is not worth using anymore.

There are other free antivirus which continue to be updated and have minimal impact on performance.

15. gery

gery Registered Member

Why not use BD FREE instead . Light and very safe

16. roger_m

BD is a good alternative, but will probably be heavier than Roboscan, and has auto quarantine, which may be an issue for some people.

17. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Roger does this still update sigs? The updated Bitdefender free doesn't support XP and Vista anymore. I'm interested in this since it still supports XP and Vista. Thanks.

18. roger_m

I tested it a few months ago under Windows 10, and while it was able to download the latest definitions, it was not able to scan anything. Scans finished immediately without scanning any files. I'm sure it has worked for me under Windows 10 in the past. On an XP or Vista computer, quite possibly it would work, but as I've mentioned earlier the detection rate is not as good as other antiviruses using BD signatures.

You would be better off with an antvirus that is still in development, such as Panda Free, which still also supports XP and Vista.

19. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Thank you Roger.

I've read Panda doesn't auto upgrade versions and they don't seem to have a sample submission form on their site. Their support form requires your email be linked to a subscription.

20. roger_m

Yes it doesn't auto upgrade, which is a shame.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.