roboform alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

LastPass is free, if you use it on PC's atleast.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It is free only when your passwords and other stuff is kept in Cloud on their server.

If you want the PC specific version, then you have to pay yearly.

3. keysersozeuk

keysersozeuk Registered Member

Wrong, https://lastpass.com/features_compare.php

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

My vote for Lastpass too. I had Roboform back in 2009 and was pretty happy with it. But then I decided to migrate to Linux and upon asking I learnt that Roboform had no linux version and had no plans to port it to Linux.
    I am really glad for that answer now, I would not had tried Lastpass otherwise. Today I cant live with out it. Perfect on travel when you need your passwords. With the toolbar on FF it fills all passwords automatically if you choose. Of course it has a form filler too.. All my 175 passwords are variations like this: d$B#a$$aPwpqNymJh!A@w9DUDZO9e# (except for some silly sites wich dont allow special characters or long passwords for some insane reason!!?)
    No worries using them on cyber cafes. Dont have to worry about a USB stick, just remember the master password. You can lock out every other computer than the ones that you trust, then you dont even have to worry about someone knowing your master password! Unless he or she has access to your trusted computers of course.
    I choose to pay the yearly $12 just because I love it, even if it is free. Would pay the double or triple every year if it comes to that!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. aladdin

No, I am not wrong. YOU ARE WRONG. Read carefully about keeping your data in the CLOUD!

With RofoForm Everywhere, your data is in CLOUD and PC.

With RoboForm Desktop, you data is only in PC. You have an option if you want to keep it in CLOUD too!

See the difference!

6. guest

guest Guest

If you install the LastPass extension for Firefox, you can check that it keeps the data in Cloud and in PC - you can access the LastPass saved data when you're offline, you can login with the extension when offline and access the data.

All for free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  7. guest

guest Guest

BTW the data saved by LastPass - in the Cloud and in the PC - is fully encrypted and can't be accessed by anyone other than the one that holds the password to decrypt it (to login).

8. aladdin

YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT IN CLOUD!

YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!

THIS IS THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE!

WITH ROBOFORM DESKTOP, YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

9. guest

guest Guest

Yes, this is quite obvious. Since its beginning, LastPass is cloud-based. RoboForm only "recently" (after LastPass' popularity boom) approached the cloud.

10. aladdin

WRONG, guest!

RoboForm had CLOUD ten years ago. However, they offered RoboForm Everywhere 18 months ago with v7, which is only CLOUD based like LastPass!

11. guest

guest Guest

Ye, I forgot to add the word "seriously" before "approached".

12. aladdin

I keep my RoboForm data and other data in my choice of CLOUD called, "Dropbox" with "CloudFogger"!

13. guest

guest Guest

Interesting. With LastPass, one can export the encrypted data and save wherever he wants.

http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/tools/exporting/

The big plus of automatically saving to LastPass' cloud is, of course, automatic synchronization. Security is not compromised in any way too - if a cracker or a bad LastPass' employer decides to access your cloud data (let's assume he successfully bypass all the cloud's barriers), all he gets are very strongly encrypted files, totally useless without your password.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  14. guest

guest Guest

15. aladdin

You failed to understand again.

With Dropbox my all my data is encrypted and sent to the CLOUD, and then it gets automatically synchronized on all my computers through my LAN.

Once the RoboForm data is in Dropbox CLOUD, it is encrypted and it is password protected with 52 characters. However, the other data is not encrypted and not password protected.

Here comes CloudFogger as it encrypts and password protect all the data in Dropbox, thus my RoboForm data is double encrypted and double password protected in Dropbox.

16. guest

guest Guest

What I failed to understand? I'm not discussing how you/DropBox/CloudFogger do things, I'm talking about LastPass.

17. aladdin

18. aladdin

And, the data in LastPass CLOUD is decrypted.

19. guest

guest Guest

No hype. The "login" command downloads the data and locally decrypts it.

20. guest

guest Guest

21. aladdin

Login in the LastPass and you will see your data decrypted in the CLOUD. You can do this from a CAFE!

For this reason you can access the data from any computer and anywhere!

It is all hype. You need to understand CLOUD. To understand CLOUD, you need to understand Dropbox and CloudFogger.

CloudFogger creates a virtual drive in your computer and decrypts all data from the CLOUD in your computer.

22. guest

guest Guest

You are the one that needs to understand what is being done by the LastPass login command. It is not decrypting the data in the cloud, is is decrypting the data in the PC you are actually logging in from.

LastPass has opted to use SHA-256, a slower hashing algorithm that provides more protection against brute-force attacks. LastPass utilizes the PBKDF2 function implemented with SHA-256 to turn your master password into your encryption key. LastPass performs x number of rounds of the function to create the encryption key, before a single additional round of PBKDF2 is done to create your login hash. The entire process is conducted client-side. The resulting login hash is what is communicated with LastPass. LastPass uses the hash to verify that you are entering the correct master password when logging in to your account. LastPass also performs a large number of rounds of PBKDF2 server-side. This implementation of PBKDF2 client-side and server-side ensures that the two pieces of your data, the part that's stored offline locally and the part that's stored online on LastPass servers, are thoroughly protected.

23. aladdin

24. guest

guest Guest

No hype, that's the reality of things, which several independent security analysts and companies already checked. It's so good that even Webroot (for example) actually partnered with them.

25. aladdin

And, it is called, "MARKETING"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.