roboform alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

not sure if this is the correct place to post this so sorry in advance if its wrong.

i have been a roboform pro user for many years and now accumulated over 700+ logins at the last count.... when i first bought roboform they said it was a lifetime license, but now its changed into a paid fee for any updates. are there any opensource or free alternatives that can import my saved logins and at the same time remain secure ?. i have briefly tried lastpass and keepass but i dont like the idea of logging into a website before i can access my logins cos i feel its unsecure.

i am open to suggestions and experiences from others.........

Gazzer

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

LastPass!

3. aladdin

I had two lifetime licenses for v6. I went ahead and bought two licenses for v7, though I threw a big fit.

4. garry35

i also upgraded from v6 to 7 and now the current version. regarding lastpass i dont like the idea of logging on to a server before i can access my logins.

i maybe wrong but this seems like a security risk and also they could in theory hold your login data to ransom if the site ever went down or they decided to start charging for everything.

5. bullmose

bullmose Registered Member

i personally like keepass, there are plug-ins that you can use to have it auto-fill information if you are into that. what i really like about keepass thought is the Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation http://keepass.info/help/v2/autotype_obfuscation.html

http://keepass.info/plugins.html have a look at some of the plugins lots of interesting ones to make it more useful. No need to log into a website to get your passwords out either.

6. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

7. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thank you for the reference. It convinced me enough that I have just installed Lastpass and imported my Roboform data to it. Roboform was good but it perturbed me that my version of Roboform would not work with the latest release of Firefox.

8. aladdin

I am surprised, are you saying that the latest v7.7.7.1 of Roboform doesn't work with the latest v13 of Firefox?

Best regards,

KOR!

9. aladdin

Dear Gazzer,

I read the above but didn't understand, and I should have asked your earlier.

What do you mean by, "upgraded from v6 to 7 and now the current version."

v7 is the current version. Have they now come up with v8?

Best regards,

KOR!

10. garry35

i mean i originally got v6 the back when their upgrade policy was for lifetime upgrades/updates, then upgraded to v7 when it came out thinking it was a free update.

because i had already got loads of logins but after about 14 days it said i needed to pay cos v7 was a PAID upgrade and am currently on v7.7.7.1 which is still a free update under v7.xxx new upgrade policy.......until they decide to change it again. i suspect loads of ppl complained cos on their page it now say that v7 is a paid upgrade, but at the time i upgraded from v6 to v7 i couldnt see any mention of it and unknown to me v7 had reverted to a trial. i dont see any mentions of v8, but its only a matter of time before it arrives and they demand ANOTHER upgrade fee

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  11. aladdin

v7 has been a paid upgrade for more than a year now. Lots of people like me bought v6 with lifetime upgrades/updates, but then I had to buy it a year ago.

Best regards,

KOR!

12. garry35

read above

13. aladdin

14. garry35

can u elaborate please, somewhere i think i have missed the point your trying to make. what i was saying is that when i bought my roboform pro back in v6xxx they said that all upgrades/updates are FREE for life. then along comes v7 and they changed their upgrade policy, effectively going back on their previous promises. i dont know whether this is legal or not but it puts serious doubt in my mind as to whether we can trust anything said by publishers, when they can just move the goal posts at will............. when i upgraded from 6 to 7xxx i was under the impression that the upgrade was free and my login data was safe. but instead after approx 14 days i find out the software was a trial and NOT covered as a free update, so i then have the choice of going to a different password manager or paying their fee, considering i had 700+ logins etc it was an easy decision. my original question was to try and find out if there are any decent alternatives.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  15. aladdin

v7 is not a new update, it has been out for more than a year and half!

What is the current version, if not v7, and it has been out for more than a year and half!

16. aladdin

What you just found out right now, we discussed it about a year and half ago in the thread I posted for you. We all bitched, but in the end most of us went ahead and paid for v7 again, even though like you we all owned v6 with lifetime free upgrades/updates.

17. aladdin

If you read my above post #2, I already told you LastPass. But alas, LastPass charges hefty yearly fees, just live RoboForm Everywhere.

But not RoboForm Desktop!

18. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I changed to LastPass because the Roboform version I have on this machine is Version 6.10.1 and I would have to buy a license to upgrade to a version that would work with the latest version of Firefox. It wouldn't be so bad but I use a few different computers and Roboform requires a license for each of them.

LastPass has changed a lot since I last checked it out and the free version does everything I need it to do. The free version is fully functional with the exception of mobile devices, Sesame, Yubikey, advertising, and e-mail/phone support. So far I am very impressed.

19. aladdin

What I fail to understand that if you consider the upgrade/update to v7 from v6 is free, why it took you one and half year to upgrade to v7 from v6?

Why didn't you do it earlier, about one and half year ago?

20. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

LastPass :thumb:

21. garry35

i never said it took 18 month to upgrade YOU did or rather you assumed. i upgraded almost as soon as v7 appeared, but approx 14 days after installing it, it said i had to pay for a new license albeit at a discounted upgrade price

22. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I prefer sticky password.You have to pay for upgrades but ive used version 5 for nearly 2 years now and it still works even though version 6 has just been released.

23. aladdin

It is the best. I bought v2 from them and I am a beta tester for them. Since, then they have provided me every version for free. The best ever!

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

$12 per year is a hefty fee? And that's only if you can't get by with the free version.

25. aladdin

Well by that standard Roboform is cheap. For $10 per year you get RoboForm Everywhere, which can be used on all your computers.

My upgrade to RoboForm Desktop to v7 was $19, the second license was for $10, which I can use on two desktops and two laptops. The earlier v6 lasted for years. Maybe, by this standard v8 will be years to come.

To me LastPass paying $12 per year for LastPass is hefty.

Used v6 for almost 8 years and now been using v7 for almost one and half year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.