ROBBED!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DVD+R, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

A good alarm system, a well trained german shepperd and a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun is all I need :D

Hey djohn, would you advise some electric wire? There has been an increase in burglaries in my neighbourhood lately. My house is pretty safe (I like to call it my bunker), but I'd like some extra layer on the perimeter....

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well what I do is all low voltage 22 gauge 4 conductor or 18 gauge firewire,my lic only cover up to phone work. but for outdoor lighting running house current such as motion sensored flood lights Probably 12 gauge 3 conductor or 14 it depends on lighting and current. I will not hurt lets say you have a 4 conductor wire,example lets say a lght switch has three wires one being the ground the fourth wire or leg just gets twisted back unused spare so to so to speak.the lower the gauge the more heavy or thick the wire is such as 12 gauge is thicker then 14 gauge.Hope this helps.Also refer to as AWG 12 or AWG 14 (American Wire gauge)Ps be carefull with the the pump in tends to splater things to pieces.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And when said chihuahau comes back for the tackle you'll be benched for awhile, hehe.

Edit: If you really want to prevent home intrusions:

1. Add motion detector, that, when triggered, turns on driveway lights that run the full length of the driveway. These need to be reasonably bright lights.

2. With deterrent number 1 in place, string tripwire (preferably as close to green in color as your grass) around the perimeter just a little under ankle level close to your porch, windows, garage (if you have a door inside the garage that leads into the home), etc. Attach 6in high intensity glow sticks to each end of the tripwire.

3. With deterrent number 2 in place, it's time to concentrate on the inside of the home. Your front and back door should (IMHO on this one) be hollow-core metal, and equipped with wide-angle peephole, deadbolt, and chain. If you have a patio sliding glass door, stick a broom handle down inside the track that runs the entire length of it. You may also want to place screws in the upper track to prevent the lifting out of the door. My glass door is made of polycarbonate, so it not shattered.

If you have a garage that has a door leading to the inside of the house, padlock the garage door and install another hollow core metal (solid core too if you wish) with deadbolt. A good way to secure windows is to use lockable folding metal screens. These secure the windows, but allow you easier escape in case of fire (provided the key to the lock is close at hand inside the home.

Always, always have an alarm system, and the loudest one available. You do not care that the neighbors may be irritated if it goes off accidently, they'll get over it. Guns are a matter of personal preference, so I will not get into that.

4. Dark Shadow

LOL.:eek:

5. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Forget using the chihuahua...For the ultimate in home protection how about having on guard a super intelligent "army of trained rats with an appetite for flesh" as seen in the movie Willard...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_(1971_film). :D

6. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

:blink: :blink: :blink:

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only problem is when there is a lack of burglars around, you'll start catching the rats making suspicious glances at you until one night you'll wake up with one rat holding a salt shaker, another peeling various vegetables, one adjusting oven temperature, and another thumbing through a Betty Crocker cookbook.

8. Dark Shadow

Lets get Ben:thumb:

9. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

And at the same moment you're thinking "hmm.. I would swear we had a cat".

10. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Hehehe!! A sign with the picture of a big black rat and the words "WARNING! BEN ON GUARD!" would be enough to strike fear into the heart of any burglar who saw the movie. ;)

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I actually have a cat, so I'm not sure how the rat idea would work out, lol.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

OK folks. We've gone from security issue (and I empathize - same thing occurred with me a few years ago - except the perps took - and used the cell phones they stole without considering the traceability aspect - got everything back in short order...) to coverage of B-grade horror flicks. Given that we really don't need to sink to the straight-to-DVD genre, I'll call it a wrap and close this thread down.

OK - it's a wrap!

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.