rising internet security? anyone use it

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

what you are using is not the light type of software but it is surely more efficient then Rising AV par of RIS. I would rather choose other applications for protection such as AVAST free or AVIRA free combined with SAS or MBAM and PCTOOLS Firewall but you are the one to decide

2. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

Rising AV took very long time for system scan because:
    1- It hasn't a very fast scan engine.
    2- The first system scan takes a lot more time because hash check of every file scanned (for not scan successfully if files not change), so next scans can be more fast.

Rising AV is only a component of Rising Internet Security, and (for me) not the more important or critical, and must be properly configured if you like the "highest" protection.
    For anti-trojan/anti-spyware you can use also Rising PC Doctor (downloadable from their home page). After installing it you should show it included at "Tools" tab from Rising Internet Security.

But all the other tools you named, PC Tools, and others, Avira, Avast!, Comodo, .... are very good solutions also.

3. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

I've been testing Rising Internet Security 2009 for almost a couple of weeks and here is what I think about it:

PROS:
    A more than acceptable detection rate (failed some old viruses/worms)
    Light on resources
    No slowdown on my Core2Duo laptop
    HIPS protection
    Highly customizable and efficient firewall (even blocked 1 port more than Norton Internet Security 2009)
    Boot up scan
    Rising Cloud Security
    Scans files transferred via Live Messenger

CONS:
    Detection rate not as good as Kaspersky's, McAfee's, Avira, etc.
    No antispyware module (Rising recommends to install PC Doctor but PC Doctor doesn't update daily and I didn't feel it like a serious piece of software)
    No parental control
    Two daily updates (I'm used to hourly updates like in Kaspersky and Norton)
    No "security vault" where one can enter part of a credit card number or sensitive data and alerts when the data tries to leave the computer

I didn't feel well protected probably because I'm used to frequently updates or McAfee's Artemis system, etc., also because it missed some viruses, worms and malware I tested against it.

I have a valid subscription to McAfee Total Security but it's network control module fails in my laptop so I finally installed Norton Internet Security to try it's new Pulse system and blah, blah. The thing updates each 5 to 10 minutes, runs very fast and it's very lightweight. I will keep testing it but something I don't like is it's limited customizable firewall.

4. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

My goals is protection, second light on the system resources. I have other programs that protect the system but again they run once don't stick around. I have' tried what you have mention here prior years. PC Tools Firewall Plus the 3.14 is the best one after that too slow. I need the system to to be quick, not dragging. AVAST Free doesn't catch everything and when I turned on PC Tools SDAV it found more than what AVAST was trying to do which was nothing. F-Prot AV F-Securied but they had issues not catching everything or couldn't remove effected software. Spyware Doctor with AV SE is good enough, the Full with everything enable slows the system and network down. Rising AV might sound great, I know fellow network IT guy uses it, but doesn't mean to say what works for him might not work for me. I am sure you guys like this program.

I had installed software that had a known Trojan embeded and I wanted to see which AV could detect it. One of those Worm-Bots. AVAST never detected it, but PC Tools SDAV didn't let it install on the system big red sign popup Block or Allow the process, then RegAdmin and PCFWP also had there warnings since it uses code injection.

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Avira back in 2001 was great, but then it wasn't protecting the system, so was AVAST. I've gone back to check how they are. Ads or nags in Avira Free I don't know about the pay version. AVAST Free and Pro too me still hog the system. PC Tools AV free did a better job finding so much nasty stuff on my server as AVAST doesn't work on Server OS, but PC Tools Free SDAV does along with their Firewall Plus.

SDAV updates and scans daily on it's own, all pre-set. Full scans over the weekend. FWP udpates on it's own also. I know AVAST does speak and let you know what it's doing that's okay but it doesn't scan the system auto you have to do it manually. Comodo firewall didn't support more nodes on a network only one or two nodes, but their software was slow to scan for malware on start-up. I didn't care for the full version with AV either. AVG not a fan of that one either.

Everything here runs PC Tools Firewall Plus and SDAV even on older PCs like DELL C600 with PIII 850MHz/512MB of RAM XP Pro SP3 no problem even a 11 year old laptop made by Toshiba Tecra 8000 PII 266MHz/256MB of RAM runs XP Pro SP3 wireless Buffalo HP G54 PCMICA. Key with that one is to uses 7200RPM HDD. I've rebuilt the laptop and repair them also. Make to them keep on going.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

One thing that I don't like about RAV, Rising PC Doctor, or RIS is that should one decide to uninstall any of these, then one had best go into each "subcomponent" and uncheck anything with a check beside it, system.ini, hosts protection, etc. Otherwise there could be a "hooked" unistall. From what I'v seen, there are many free AVs out there which are better and lighter with respect to ram and resource usage. Hopefully, RAV shall become a real contender which is still light.

Dave

7. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

What is the difference between the Internet security and using the av and firewall separately? Does it have more features?

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

better compaitiblity i guess? all in one package makes it more streamlined i suppose, other than that im not sure abotu specifics.

9. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Several of this company's executives were arrested recently and face charges for fraud and corruption. I do not trust anything from Rising. Just check how many times your Rising apps connect to Chinese IP's each day. For what?

10. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

11. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I'm done with Rising -- too many calls to home without my permission. It would be very nice if some rep from Rising would chance posting here as to explain why this free AV is causing so much concern amongst those who used it.

Dave

12. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

For now, I'm still using it and happy with its performances and low resources needs.

Glad to see it updates more times in one day now.

No problem for me if they do not post here, because allways I've got replyes from their support team.

HIPS, AV & FW for free..., runs ok for needs of mine..., uhmm..., I like it! :)

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i THINK that the reason it homes home is because it has some sort of in-cloud tech, u can expect this from ALL incloud software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.