Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

AVG 8 detected this, c my thread on this.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising is not depending on signature and detection, rather HIPS where even if it goes past the scanner, it would be blocked. Different concept.

3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

that's why post 244 in this thread is so scary. rising detected the trojan but couldn't stop it from running even after the user selected 'delete'. what's worse the HIPS portion of rising also failed to stop the trojan from doing it's thing.

that's pretty discouraging. :ouch:

4. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

exactly. one really does not even need to run live malware to see this in action. i tested first with Matousecs full suite of POC's/Leaktest, before and after Kees' tweeks (yes i realise they are merely leak-test, but they still involve process manipulations, that test HIPS more precisely than FW's). what would happen is Risng one pop-up on several of the test, but the end result, after applying deny/delete/quarantee, or whatever responses were offered, would occur anyway. those observations are what actually made me test against real malware.

again out of a superbly miniscule sampling of malware, Rising detected and stopped 8 of 11. number 9 came up Risng told me this is a bad thing do you want to eradicate it? i chose yes, the malware scoffed and went on it's business. Rising AV did not stay on my system long enough to see samples 10 & 11.

i don't mind an HIPS/AV missing something, because they all do, and always will. but i do expect a security app to be capable of stopping what it does find...period, no exceptions.

Mike

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

That was what i was afraid for the 4H product life cycle

Hype,
    Hope
    Help
    Horror

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

The scary thing was the blind faith placed in the HIPS portion of the product after the AV detection part was shown to be lacking.

7. subset

subset Registered Member

Was ist the same or a similar trojan like in this thread?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=216224
    If so, it seems not to be an exclusive Rising problem.
    Or bye bye Rising and bye bye NOD? :ouch:

Cheers

8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

An interesting test Rising about here.

9. whoiam

whoiam Registered Member

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Good to see that, that means they are improving and becoming a viable free alternative in the likes of Avira and Avast.

11. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Did rising free av got HIPSo_O??

im wondering about install the free version and uninstall my avira free

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  12. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Comes Rising AntiVirus Free with Rising Firewall?

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising AV free comes with HIPS which works under x32 OS but not x64.

14. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

What were the settings of the Rising AV HIPS modules, and would Rising DARE test its AV with the HIPS completely disabled?

Dave

MAJOR EDIT: Removing Rising AV from a Win 2000 PC could lead to a reinstall of Windows -- 2 PCs thus far. And I think, Avira is MUCH more safe on XP PCs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  15. cruelsister

No way it's of any value without the HIPS. Case in point is an email that's going around yesterday and today regarding upgrading to IE7 (seemed to be from Microsoft). Contained a trojan, of course. Actually it was just a renamed "Antivirus XP 2008" trojan that's been around for a while. Rising was one of the 4 out of 36 that missed it (Virustotal).

Better hope the HIPS is of real high quality; you'll need it.

16. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

UPDATE

It's very easy to reproduce in XP the problems described above for 2000.

Before you install this "stuff," ask yourself, "Do I want to live with this AV, which is not at all the the best?"

17. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

WOW!
    These kind of emails don't even get any chance to reach my system at all, they are filtered out by the excellent server side filters of my free email service.
    Also: AV's don't function on SSL connections, and that is what I use for email.
    I don't need an anti virus at all for this basic protection.

Each and every solution has pro's and cons. No matter if it is AV or HIPS that is functioning, together Rising offers a lightweight solution without nagging. And that's what I appreciate.

18. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I have to admit, you're right: who among us has caught in one night EVERY virus, worm, trojan or malware covered by, say, Avira.

19. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising is an excellent free alternative and offers quite a lot as well, the HIPS alone is worth its weight in gold.

20. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for the info; I'm using Rising Firewall Free and I have similar thought. I'll try it AntiVirus as soon as possible.

Noticed that Rising support is good - quick feedback.

21. cruelsister

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

First of all you have to have confidence in this test which I don't . It would be different if all the testing sites were anywhere near close in their results, but there is such a difference in their findings that it about removes any confidene in any of these tests.

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

* Testing tests... *

1- One HERE.

2- More...

Source.

24. JediSB

JediSB Registered Member

Rising just gave me a false positive on Spyware Blaster. However, it did not do it when the program opened, or when I updated it. It only detected it when I closed Spyware Blaster down, and Rising offered to delete the file. I found this to be very odd behavior. Obviously I want my AV to stop a malicious program from running in the first place, not after the fact. I even tested it with just opening Spyware Blaster, doing nothing else but closing. I thought perhaps it didn't apply its updates until it closed and maybe that was what caused Rising to catch it then. However, just opening and closing it was enough. Rising caught it again - when I closed Spyware Blaster.

I was hoping for good things from this program as it seemed very thorough in its features was light on system resources at the same time. Needless to say, I uninstalled it.

25. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

There is no option "Scan with Rising Antivirus" in context menu of Free Commander, only in context menu of Windows Explorer? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.