Rising AV - free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pykko, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Just add Opera to application protection, has teh same effect

2. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

OK, I admit it. I'm addicted to Rising AV.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like Rising AV (and FW) a lot so far.

4. Kees1958

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

6. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi Kees,.............I have..... but occasionally tweaking to a small degree to stop pop-ups whilst maintaining security--I hope.

Gordon

7. Kees1958

False Positive, plus by adding custom rules to HIPS your sort of concentrate on the core OS-functionality. When you use SBIE/SafeSpace/GW/DW it the behavioral protection only slows down your PC (while effectively adding very little to security, due to the Custom setup of Rising's HIPS)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

9. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I followed the photos you posted.

Dave

10. Kees1958

TIPS/suggestions for improvement, I will promise to collect them and ran some testing against it (to discover impact). I always like useability improvements (less pop-ups), so I welcome suggestions.

Reason for doing so: my wife sort of allows every pop-up on the XP box, so user interaction should be as less as possible (is the weakest link in the chain anyway) and my son does not want game interfering on his Vista64 box.

11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I was using NOD32 and Commodo D+ and WinPatrol. After a month, I got tired of the bloat in Commodo.

So, for the last several days, thanks to your excellent posts, I have also tried DW with Threatfire and Alvira Antivir. I also tried GW, but had some problems.

Now I have DW 2.45 beta and Rising AV and FW with your settings. I also switched WinPatrol for Anvir Task Manager after reading one of your posts. I kept Alvira for the right click Scan On Demand only for downloads, just as a double check. I use FD-ISR Pro and ShadowProtect for ISR and imaging.

So far, your setup has been tight as a tick, fun to use, and very light on resources. Thanks to you I am really beginning to understand this stuff. Your help is much appreciated.

Silver

12. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Today I received an Email supposedly from UPS saying that a package was undeliverable. There was an attachment with the email (obviously malware). I did some checking and UPS is aware of it and sent out warnings. Panda was the first company out with a warning that the file contained a trojan.

I had Rising on my system for a trial. I saved the attachment to a directory and had Rising scan it. Nothing found.

Bye Bye Rising.

13. silver0066

If you had DW, that would not have been a problem as long as you have your mail reader set to Untrusted.

14. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

you know, not to sound like a rising apologist, but there are LOTS of times when certain AV software finds a virus that others miss. it's not just rising, heck check jotti any given day to see what i'm talking about.

even if rising missed this one, it's HIPS would have been there to pick up the slack if it was run. this according to panda (the people who discovered this virus first) :
    http://pandalabs.pandasecurity.com/

userinit.exe is one of the files SPECIFICALLY protected by rising HIPS.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  15. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising of all AVs has a different approach relying heavily on HIPS than just signatures alone which makes sense on a system that doesn't have net access or updates are not that frequent. I prefer it to just updates as there can be a gap between updates and getting infected. HIPS is the wave of future for all AVs, even Avira is conteplating it for their next version.

16. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

It seems that the assumption being made is that the HIPS portion of Rising is high quality. Personally I would question this as the AV already proved itself as lacking.

Although I like to fish in troubled waters by trying new security products, I think that it's time to throw this one back.

17. simmikie

my findings after updating Rising AV with Kees tweeks, is that the pop-up response increased with POC's, but on several after denying, Rising lacked the horsepower to actually halt the process manipulation. i had a very small malware collection (11) which i ran against Rising AV & FW. Rising stopped cold the first 8, got to 9 )trojan-psw.qqcy.12.b (not absolutely sure about the 'cy' and have since deleted) Rising poped-up, i clicked delete, trojan ran anyway, jumped Returnils system drive protection and infected my D & E drives. fortunately i had AVZ onboard which found and cleaned d:\d.exe and the same for E drive, as well as autorun.inf's.

pretty disappointed, as i wanted Rising to replace my current primary snapshot security apps. i am sure my findings will meet with resistance, but it is what it is, and now Rising on my system is no longer.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  18. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

could it have been : trojan-psw.qqspy.12.b ? hmm i wish you still had the sample i'd love to test it against other popular HIPS.

i agree, since rising mentions that it monitors global hooks as part of it's system reinforcement. what's more disappointing is that it seems that there's no way to contact these people to let them know what's going on.

19. simmikie

to Risings credit, it did identify the trojan, but was unable to stop it from running. i am not well versed enough to know if it was bypassed by utilyzing hooks or not.

i should be able to find the sample again. i will pm you when i do.

Mike

20. Kees1958

Mike good testing, I can not recal (on a different image now) whether I had set global hook testing on in System Reïnforcement.

21. silver0066

No, you didn't set it on. It is now set on in my setup.

Thanks for the info.

Silver

22. Kees1958

Silver,

Would you post a screenshot of it in the original thread, I am on a different image now

Thanks

23. silver0066

Kees1958,

Here you go. I also posted it in original thread.

Silver

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  24. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Did anyone test RAV hips against aklt.exe keylogger test? I get varying results when I tested it but my general conclusion was that RAV hips fails against aklt.exe.

25. simmikie

i did, and yes it does.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.