Rising Antivirus Questions and Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I wonder how much extra protection running Rising PC Doctor alongside the AV would offer.o_O

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I would rather run Immunet Protect Free.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Do you guy find that Rising gives off a lot of popups, similar to the HIPS in a program like CIS?

4. whitedragon551

I have yet to see a pop up from it. Although I do have mostly default options selected.

5. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Are you running free or paid version?

6. whitedragon551

I have the Free version installed on my Win 7 x64 Pro VM.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Does that matter? I figured they would both behave in a similar fashion.

8. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I suppose it doesn't. Just curious.

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You guys weren't kidding about the updates. I installed in VirtualBox, and the initial update is still going 40+ min later.

10. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Hi Guys,
    I know a lot of people here don't like Rising but I have been using Rising Free AV for nearly 3 years now without any major problems. The only pop ups I get are when I defrag the hard drive and I get a pop up saying the defragger was not allowed access to the AV due to it's self protection layer which is satisfying.
    I have trimmed down all my realtime protection, and for a year now I have just had Rising running. It's very light on resources and I've had no infections, having said that I use Chrome and Opera browsers with javascript disabled to help keep the baddies out. On the couple of times I have had minor problems, the support has been good even though it's free, I always have a reply from them within 24 hours and in English.
    My only disappointment is that each year when they release the next version of Rising, the updates stop and you have to uninstall your present Rising AV and download and install the next one. A process which we will no doubt have to do in the next couple of months when I assume Rising 2011 is released, so when the the updates stop go looking for the next issue.

Regards Gordon

Win XP SP2, 2GB RAM, Rising in realtime, MBAM and Emsisoft A squared on demand.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  11. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Yeah and another thing i noticed is that they still did not change the problem with right click scan(Context menu in english i think?). Two years ago when i was using RAV Free 2008 for a while i noticed that you could only scan a file through the right mouse button in Windows Explorer or through Start/Download map.

From what i could tell from before i tried the 2010 update function they still did not fix this, even though i submitted a ticket about it in 2008 and they promised to solve it. Any self respecting AV can scan a file through context menu in any File manager and not just Windows Explorer.

Maybe a small thing, but i find it some what weird that they appear to refuse to change that.

12. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I also have Rising Free 2010 version on my XP system since quite a long time (end of 2009 actually...). I noticed the 2010 vs 2009 upgrade issue, but after a while even on PC running 2009 version, the 2010 version was installed through the regular update.

The only minor issue I have is that, since a few months ago, .lng files take a long time when scanned, especially during installations. These are simple data files, not executable, so it's difficult to see why it takes so much time.

Apart from that, I highly recommend it.

13. whitedragon551

Do you have any experience removing malware or detection of malware or suspicious files?

14. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Well I've seen the hips and behavior blocker in action and it's quite good. The detection as an av component only it's been said to be below others.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Risings support staff seem very good. I submitted some malware samples through that and all of them were added to their database. Product questions were answered very quickly.

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Anyone trying their beta?

17. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Yes and no, I did encountered a few infected files within mail or elsewhere, I don't recall any specific issue.

18. whitedragon551

Im using it as my main AV on my home system. So far no issues other than a 45 minute update at installation time.

Anyone know the difference between the Silent Mode and Standard Mode? The descriptions within RAV are not clear at all.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I tried RAV free AV 2011 beta briefly in VM today. Very long install, and it keep Process Explorer and MBAM from running. More trouble than it is worth at this point IMO.

20. whitedragon551

Im using RAV 2010 stable. I dont have an issue with MBAM running or Process Hacker running as my replacement task manager.

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Tested Rising AV 2010 free + Rising PC Doctor Combo today in VM. Pretty good proactive detections. Signature detection not so good against the ~30 fresh malware links from MDL. Both RPD abd RAV alerts me about many suspicious activity which I denied and after a complete execution off all threats and two successive reboots I performed a full scan where it detected 4 others as suspicious which I submitted and then deleted.
    After that I run Quick and default scan with HMP and also Quick and full scan with MBAM. From that I understood that my test VM was infected mainly with a DNS changer trojan and all other threats that were found were not memory resident.

HMP quick
    http://imgur.com/JU78H.jpg

HMP default
    http://imgur.com/IKsgH.jpg

MBAM quick
    http://imgur.com/sF1G9.jpg

MBAM full
    http://imgur.com/xNWfH.jpg

So I am so happy with the results and thinking of using it again in v2011.

22. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

So was Rising PC doctor detecting threats in real time? I have not seen it active yet so I have no idea how it fully works in real time yet.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Actually I uses IE and it detects downloads that tries to run automatically but do not have digital signatures. I just stopped excution by that and execute them separately when RAV blocked those.

24. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

So is the RAV Free update issue solved? Or must one d/L the 80+ MB app over and over?

Dave

25. whitedragon551

Its not an issue. Its what RAV Free is. RAV paid comes with the latest updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.