Rising Antivirus Free Edition 2009 out Now!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Thanks for the link Country2.

But I prefer just the av.
    I have OA free alrerady and I like that for a firewall.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Rising generates pop-ups with GeSWall, it runs okay with DefenseWall

Running it with a lot advanced selected (shutdown, driver directory guard etc). Does not seem to impadt performance much

Cheers

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I already have a Chinese notebook (Lenovo ideapad y510) and a German Red Umbrella and a firewall from Australia protecting me.

I tried the previous version of Rising antivirus free and I was so overwhelmed by all the options on it! Just depends on how bad the economy is if I will consider going back to freeware security at the end of the year.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Have you ever heard of Rising like 2 years ago in US and EU ? It was mostly focused on China market and ppl there know it well. However i really doubt anyone would give a try to a chinese program. But look what happens when you offer it for free. Bam, news everywhere, your program becomes well known in a matter of days all over the world. This is probably more effective than any even the most aggressive ad campaign. Then you either get your revenue with personalized tech support (Comodo) or by offering more powerful packages (most of free AV solutions out there). And this model seems to work pretty well it appears.

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Is it compatible with 64 bit Vista?

6. Kees1958

Last year I played with Rising AV. I like its lightness and HIPS.

Rising AV

Well good news is: the HIPS became smarter

I have enabled
    1. System Reïnforcement
    a) System Action Monitor ALL ENABLED
    b) Registry Protect ALL ENABLED except DEFAULT PRINTER (of other settings)
    c) Protect Critical Processes ALL ENABLED except OTHER PROGRAMS (of IE BRowser Restrictions, because I play with it in combination of DefenseWall)
    d) Protect System Files ALL ENABLED

2 Application control
    - Entered all internet facing aps to monitor

3 Malicious Program Interception set to HIGH

4 USB/DVD/CD all selected (inform me)

5 Web Trojan Defense all selected (default deny)

6 Self Protection enabled

7. Custom whitelist I have added
    a) C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\srdiag.exe
    b) C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\\rstrui.exe
    c) DefenseWall program and service
    d) Malware Defender program and service

DefenseWall
    I run DW more or less default out of the box (only selected "Automatically remove items from File and Registry List + consider network drives + CD/DVD as untrusted)

Malware Defender
    I run Malware Defender (File, Registry, Application, Network protection)
    only all registry (except Network) and file rules disabled (except autostart locations).

To add protection on top Rising I have process protection limited to Physical Memory, Low Level regsitry and keyboard access (everything else is handled by Rising)

To add protection on top DW, I have my network protection enabled and :
    a) P2P Program LimeWire restricted to only access D:\Incomplete D:\Shared Folder and D;\LimeWire and all HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry access limited (DW takes care of HKLM plus all my custom resource protection rules garding vulnarable keys/registry of HKU, which is implemented in DW since release 2.44 by default, so I have default Resource Protection, since Outlook Express WAB and messages are also extra protected by Resource Protection of DW)

b) Internet Explorer protected from changing and limited access to D:\Downloads directory and denied of the HKU=HKEY_CURRENT_USER entries not related to IE7

c) Chrome limited access to D:\Downloads and HKU registry

d) Outlook Express just protected for modification and HKU registry not related to OE

So Malware Defenser is configured as the old freebie SensiveGuard,

Conclusion
    I have test driven Rising last year. I like the seperate source of attack and object of attack accros process, file and registry. This really decreases the amount of Pop-ups. At the moment I am running the HIPS on full and it is QUIET and the programs performs better

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  7. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Has anyone tried it on Win 95? I'm thinking about upgrading. :D

Seriously, it would be nice to see how much realtime this offers the older OSs from 95 16-bit, 95 32-bit, 98, 98 Gold, 98 SE and ME. The scanner was good, but the realtime was terrible. Also, FOR ANY OS, why does Rising use DCOM and in-so-doing create a security risk?

Dave

8. country2

country2 Registered Member

Right now I have the free antivirus running on it with no problem.

9. GES/POR

Yer sorry checked it on the website n the 08 version was allready supporting it.

10. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I wonder how good the detection is (signature + heuristic). Anyone<-->Test?

11. GES/POR

It is slowing down my browsing but i dont see a webscanner in the gui

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Maybe the "in the clouds" technology is phoning home and thus eating bandwifth from your connection?

Anyway, i don't know how the global detection is, but with so many modules i would expect it to be at least decent and a great free way for people to protect their PCs.

Western AVs are going to suffer economically if news about this should become well known.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No they won't. With all the things packed into this AV, it'll be too complicated to mess with "for the masses".

14. Fuzzfas

Ah, i see. It's plagued by the complicatd gui disease.... Chinese products do tend to have too many menus, submenus, etc. I tried Micropoint, which is supposed to be behaviour blocker and i thought "no way this is BB"! Comparison with TF was impossible. TF is 1000 times simpler.

A pity for the consumers...

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I wasn't referring to the GUI :) I mean with all the registry protection, file protection, and the numerous other options in there, either it will be deemed too complicated for those folks or they will have it sorely misconfigured and open up more problems than they had.

16. Fuzzfas

Ah, i understand now. Yes, many modules provide high level of safety, but if they haven't found a way to merge the info into real and comprehensible alerts, then most people will be scared. I also saw the screenshots in the first page and in deed, misconfiguration with so many menus is a real danger.

Still, for Wilders' tinkerers, it's a nice new toy!

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not really. I bumped everything to High and it worked just the same as before. Except now it asked me when i performed actions on critical system files and folders. Just the same as other AVs work...

18. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Shortcut in context menu when using Free Commander? :rolleyes:

Previous version did not have shortcut in context menu in Free Commander (Free Commander is very popular free file management software) so you could not scann files or folders using context menu. I do not know if such a problem existed with Total Commander and other file management software except Windows Explorer.

I reported the problem to Rising and they promised that will be removed.

19. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Rising seems interesting. Does it produce a lot of FPs? Whats its self protection like? Is its on demand scanning quick? Is its HIPS comparable to OA free?

20. Kees1958

As far as I can see:
    - critical system components protection (file + registry) = decent, say 70% of what a full registry startup control would protect, the file protection is tuned down to core components (I allways reduce file protection to core OS modules and file system, so to me it is 100%, but for people like ALycon and Easter it would provide only 20% of their desired file protection scope)

- direct disk, shut down, driver loading protection in HIPS, say 40% of what OA free covers

- no injection/process modification protection (apart from protected core modules of OS), you are supposed to add internet facing programs in the behavior blocker part: I have no idead about its effectiveness, I can see the increased CPU time when I put it up to high (so it is obvious checking things).

The HIPS does not watch all the attack vectors like SSM or Comodo, in stead it monitors a few sources (the behavior blocker) and protects critical OS parts. Combined they call it the HIPS. The HIPS seems to be designed to get enough additional protection to enable an ANTI VIRUS to take effective repair/remove actions. So when a zero day might slip through it won't be able to completely own your PC, thus making it possible with an traditional anti virus to remove the infection withhout bringing you system down (say the next day)

It is really a pity it won't work well with GeSWall (at least I can not get some decision to be remembered), because you could craft a very good freeware set with GW and Rising AV/HIPS

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Anyone willing to test Rising with samples? I'm just curious how good their signatures and heuristics.

22. faterider

faterider Registered Member

I do. Never before done this, curious to try. Where can I find these baddies? PM?

23. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

... ...

24. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Not very well, at least not on malware circulating in Russia. Always <<90% in our findings.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Bah, no Active Defense under Vista x64...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.