Riot Isolator [Beta]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hsdev, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If it can't pass we geeks, I wouldn't turn it loose on average users

2. hsdev

hsdev Developer

@Peter2150 You may misunderstand the Aero requirement. Aero is needed otherwise Riot Isolator cannot work as expected. Some overlaying APIs do not work when Aero is disabled.
    Why do you dislike the name? Tool names like Crap Cleaner have a similar name structure and no swear word is used (anyway I am not a native English).

The icon consists out of 2 parts: shield (intended for protection) and a clenched fist (riot symbol). This is meant to fit to the tools name. The anti-virus called Avira uses an umbrella (Rejection of unwanted substances -> rain / trojans).

3. guest

guest Guest

I would expect a more constructive feedback here in Wilders Security

4. hsdev

hsdev Developer

@guest
    1) A presentation mode which blocks any window focus change to different applications. Unlock via the Windows password. So you can leave your computer unlocked and let others watch a movie, see a Powerpoint presentation or let them play a game without worrying about them doing something different or stealing data.
    2) A scan button which allows users to analyze executables without starting them (like packer detection).
    3) An e-mail notification when any threat is detected.

If you have any ideas you can let me know! Or just tell me what you think about these features!

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes exactly, but I wonder what the anti-PE feature is about. I also don't have a problem with the GUI and the name, who cares if it looks a bit like the one from HMPA?

What type of features? Perhaps you can make it into a lightweight HIPS.

6. Hendrik,

True, but also communism and black power.

Your avatar is a combination of a Prussian helmet with a laurel wreath both hinting to emperors dominating the world and ruling society in a totalitarian way. The name and icon of riot isolator matches that in brand personality. Those might not be the symbols people tend to connect with naturally and spontaneously. So maybe you should ask your friends, family and neighbors before making design or identity decisions for your brand or product (as you did with the GUI).

As @Hiltihome mentions correctly there is nothing wrong with your GUI-design. It is a normal tile design with matching (secondary/tertiary) colors and a standard icon set. There are just a lot of HPMA fanboys who think the GUI and color scheme and icon set are invented by Surfright and think you copied it on purpose. HPMA was the first security program on Wilders to use the M$ UI-paradigm, compare it with the first man on the moon, first comes first takes.

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016
  7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I did not take this thought to that level, I did remark twice on the similarity and then took note of the developer's responses. Please do not confuse my curiosity about a feature with something more cynical. Thanks and have a nice day.

hsdev: Thank you for info on the costs.

8. hsdev

hsdev Developer

@Rasheed187 See my previous post for the 3 future features. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/riot-isolator-beta.390949/page-2#post-2641402
    RunPE is a wide spread used technique to hide trojans in legit processes by injecting trojans into their memory. This is detected by Riot Isolator.
    I am giving my best to improve this application to build a good optional protection suite without any costs, but I am limited to my freetime.

@Windows_Security Thank you for your opinion. I personally do not connect software with political elements. When I see football with Oakland Raiders, I do not expect them to wear a folt-out. If you see icons in a strict way, you could not use any symbol. Unicef does not endsore any emperors dominating the world by using a laurel wreath in their logo. Or do you think so?

9. Peter2150

I understand why you need Aero, but with the security software choices today, I don't see the need to have aero activated. Others might not care, but for me it's a pass.

As to the name, Riots are generally a destabilizing and destructive social phenomenon, and maybe it's just me, but a just don't want a product with that name. Totally different to me then crap.

10. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

It's not just you.

11. hsdev

hsdev Developer

I do not want to affect the general security by using Aero, but I use it since it is required for Riot Isolator to work. Otherwise a few functions wont work. This Aero requirement only affetcs Windows Vista and 7, newer systems do not have this limitation anymore.

If you dislike the tools name why would people use the tool HitmanPro? "A hitman is an assassin who is hired to kill another person. (Wikipedia)". Does not sound positive or nice to me either? @Buddel You are using HitmanPro, but dislike the word Riot in this application? Does not make sense to me. Same to @Peter2150
    I understand your view and respect it, but the name will not be changed.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  12. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

lol, valid retort and besides the comments on the software name is finicky and irrelevant to its purpose and function.

13. Hendrik,

A Prussian helmet with a laurel wreath sends a different signal than a mother caring a baby with a laurel wreath. Every signal is interpreted in the receiver's cultural context and experience. You associate a fist in the air with riots, others with communism or black power. It was just a tip to prevent you falling in the self-reference trap as it is called (in branding and marketing).

Regards Kees

14. hsdev

hsdev Developer

@Windows_Security What do you think about the logo of Cunard? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line
    It is using a laurel wreath and a crown of a king. So it is kind of the same to my avatar.

You can never satisfy all persons, but you can try to make the majority happy. That is why my tool is free and I do not think you should be stopped because of a logo or a name where you interpretate things.
    Black power uses a black fist while this one is not. "The raised fist, or the clenched fist, is a symbol of solidarity and support. It is also used as a salute to express unity, strength, defiance, or resistance."(Wikipedia)

15. Peter2150

hsdev

I respect your right to call your product whatever you want. I also reserve the right to not do anything with it.

16. hsdev

hsdev Developer

Thanks for your feedback.

I am looking for further feedback about the functions as @clubhouse1 said. Or did you find any bug, do you have any feature you miss?

17. No you don't, you are arguing with ratio against emotions. You are also asking feedback while rejecting all comments, why bother to ask feedback at all. Better to answer "let me think about the name" and continue with a question like "aside from the name, what would you suggest to add or improve to my program?"

Here you go again. Why are choosing the opposite position? You are discussing your forum Avatar to death while you asked feedback on your program. What is important to you, feedback to improve your program or discuss symbolism of your avatar?

P.S. Cunard line was founded in 1840 as the British and North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Company (so that explains the crown).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016
  18. guest

guest Guest

Thanks, is extremely important for everyone to know that you are not going to do anything with this software. As well as your reiterated opinion about the product name

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

"hsdev

I respect your right to call your product whatever you want. I also reserve the right to not do anything with it."

this was not a quote from the dev but from peter. i go that he is saying he doesn't have to use it. that was not a dev quote.

What the the double L has become of this thread? When the dev mentions hitman pro that alot of people adore and you still bat your beautiful eyelashes at his choice of name? owo

20. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Usual suspects droning on, I remember when this site wasn't so juvenile.

21. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I have been using this for past two days, didn't notice any conflicts with my setup. No apparent performance issues or bugs either.

Personally, I really don't care about a name as long it does the intended job. Disputes about names always remind me of MikeRoweSoft issue.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I really do wish we could move on to the functionality of the program, rather than arguing about small thing's, such as software name and interface similarities.

@hsdev Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the growth of Riot Isolator.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Got it. Thanks.

I admit that I don't mind taking a bite of noob first release beta material.

Just kind of curious what this one offers differently then what's already around so i'll check it out myself.

Not to knock on the name and that either (so I won't) but however oddball this is not the first one labeled a bit, shall we say, differently?

24. hsdev

hsdev Developer

@subhrobhandari I am glad that it does the intended job for you.
    @Tyrizian Thank you for your nice words.

The next update is estimated for the end of this week.

If anyone wants to help on translations, you can message me or post here.

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Sorry about that, I completely missed that post. But cool to see that you managed to integrate all of your standalone tools. At the moment I don't need it on my main PC, because I'm already using SpyShelter, but it's a nice tool to have when you're working on other possibly not-secure PC's. About the anti-PE feature, is it the same as anti-DLL/code injection?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.