Right-click scan-solution?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thought through the things users said on my previous topic... what I'm searching for is a great right-click scanner, which I just ask for a second opinion on things that I'm unsure about.

The solution can preferably be multi-engine or have other factors (heuristics, behavior analyzis, etc.) which makes it logically more effective, and should be able to run without things in the background all the time (services, processes, etc.).

When you post a suggestion, please include instructions on how to turn off the software from running in the background (if necessary). ;)

Thanks in advance for any tips! :)

2. thathagat

thathagat Guest

3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I use Avira for this on one machine and Avast on another. During the installation just unselect the real-time scanners. With Avira I have the scheduler and the tray gizmo in the background. Together they are using a total of 1.5 MB memory and so far today have used two seconds of CPU, so I don't bother turning them off. You could do this easily by opening services.msc and setting the services to manual. I'll have to take a look at the other with Avast, but I assume it's the about the same.

4. raven211

Thanks guys - I'll run Avira On-Demand for the time being, probably the easiest and a very effective way to go anyways without consuming resources. :)

5. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

doesnt hitman pro use multi engines, but the free one doesnt remove, but for right click scanning it can tell you if somethings ok or not, if i recall correctly it uses prevx avira and some others to scan.
    edit: it uses
    • avira
    • nod32
    • g data
    • prevx
    • a2
    which is pretty decent i think, im happy myself with just avast, and i have actually had some problems with right click scanning with the shell extension freezing up my computer, which i will talk to someone about if i get the chance.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. raven211

That's true, but here comes the little problem... it doesn't feature right-click scanning yet! :D Believe me - otherwise it would be golden. :)

7. dell boy

but, im sure there are ways of doing it, for example downloading to a folder, then creating a scan in hitman and do a custom scan to specific folder, untill they create their right click scanning feature, prevx alone is also pretty good for right click scanning,even the free one will atleast tell you whats good and not. apart from those any other anti-malware on the market will pretty much do right click scanning so pick one you like, or which has good detection rate, btw whats wrong with just using your av?
    if you really wanted to know how safe something is you could always use virustotal...

8. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I use PrevX 3.0 sans the realtime protection. Fast and effective :thumb:

9. dell boy

yes im sure it is very fast and effective, its also 20 quid a year though, so a no go for me.

10. thathagat

thathagat Guest

vijayind means sans protection only scanning realtime and OD which is free

11. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

One comment on this - if the AV is prevented from running in the background, you will:

- Lose the ability for self protection (meaning if malware does run, it could cripple/disable the AV)

- Lose the ability to support limited users/fast user switching,

- Lose the ability for caching/system monitoring which could improve the speed of the scanning of the new file or intelligence gathering (i.e. taking into account the way that the file came onto the system if it came from the web/network/USB/etc.)

- Lose the ability for full system monitoring - protection wouldn't be enabled and no full system background scans would take place, which could rescan other files you've previously scanned with the right click scanner to see if they've now been detected as malicious.

- Lose the ability for background updates (for conventional AVs)

and a handful of other components as well. The best way to get around these would be to just disable the AV's realtime protection components and leave the rest running in the background. Even though there might be a small performance hit, it should be negligible to the time it takes for the AV to load everything in preparation for your scan (read the signatures from disk, parse them, load GUI components, start services, etc.)

Just my $0.02 :)

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks thathagat:thumb:
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

@PrevxHelp: From what I understand, OP states that he already has a Anti-malware/HIPS/BB in realtime. But with exponential growth in malware, 1 product can no longer be depended upon. Hence OP wants a good OD scanner which he can use to double check.

And also off topic as pointed out @DellBoy, 20 quid is a lot for full-on Prevx protection. How about some relief in this time of crunch :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  13. raven211

Thank you for your input, Joe. :) I do run like Johnny mentioned - only disabling the guard during installation. Everything else like updates and proper scan settings, etc. are all there on my setup. :)

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Sounds decent so if you know of a way to do it, please share with us because I don't think it's possible as of right now. I could be wrong though.

15. raven211

Not quite... as of now, I restrict my normal operation extremely, then check things that I'm unsure about and about to run with Avira AntiVir Personal (highest heuristic settings applied). This is all just precautions in case any danger should actually appear - I've not bounced into ANY malware through many reformats in my continous hard-core testing of software. :D

16. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

raven listen me, please:

* cool tool: SpyDLLRemover v2.50 http://rootkitanalytics.com/userland/spy-dll-remover.php - for rootkit detection and ...
    ... and another tool is: Advanced Windows service Manager http://securityxploded.com/winservicemanager.php ... of rootkits also ...

* spbat.exe from Brock: http://bugczech.fu8.com/

* Process Hacker - link on my Sign.

*RSIT.exe (with HijackThis Trend Micro and +): https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=242949

* other good antirootkits

* ESET SysInspector.

P.

17. raven211

Thank you, Pro - all tips are welcome. It's not only beneficial for me, but anyone at this forum - either with the same setup, or simply looking for On-demand tools to use. :)

18. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can run Avira updates with the Windows Task Scheduler (run update.exe on a schedule) and do away with the scheduling service. You can set the drivers to manual load as well (IIRC, none are required for manual scans).

19. PROROOTECT

Hi Espresso, run Avira AntiVir update with the Windows Task Scheduler - is an idea very appealing. I could get rid with pleasure a process in my task manager: sched.exe (Working Set- Use Memory: 816 KB, Handles: 161, Threads: :cool:.
    Now set the driver to manual load - even better idea, how, please?

Could you give us the detailled prescription, docteur?

(I ask not only for me but for all those who do not know).

PROROOTECT

20. PROROOTECT

Cool Espresso, I put the service sched.exe in 'Manual', in my Services/Avira AntiVir Scheduler. And then: restart of computer (for put off your sched.exe, easy and safe). That's all.

And then, when I want (once a day ...):

* Services/Avira AntiVir Scheduler/right click: Start. And then
    * Right click on Avira icon in the System Tray: Start Update.
    * After Update: restart your PC.
    Et voila!

Thank you for Espresso idea!:argh:

PROROOTECT:thumb:

PS. I have the link of Sevices on my Desktop, of course. Allways.

P.

21. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the free version of MBAM.
    Context menu scanning included, and , I believe, without running a background service.
    Spybot (current version) can do this as well.
    Asquared runs a background service, even when not in use. Good, though.
    SAS has context menu scanning, but only provided the application is already running. (Good, too. I can't run it though; Ive had to uninstall it due to an apparent confliction with Threatfire.)

22. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

23. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wow nice find with the virustotal right click. i never knew about it. definetly gunna use that now especially with my new setup. :thumb:

24. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

QFT!

Thanks for this Joey!:cool: :thumb:

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm seems to me in Vista im not seeing the option to send to VirusTotal. o well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.