RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Re: Rising Firewall Free Edition?

Thanks Mefer. What about this link?

http://rsdownload.rising.com.cn/for_down/rsfree/rfwfree09.exe

It appears after clicking this:
    http://fw.rising.com.cn/download/transfer.asp?ver=free6

Seems a free version of the firewall (rFWfree). The previous free version was ending in "free" too.

Unfortunately i don't speak chinese so i 've no idea of what it's written in that page. But from the name of the setup, i would suspect it to be Firewall 2009 free. o_O

2. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

use Google but not much explanation.

3. Fuzzfas

Whatever you install, READ THE EULA carefully. I am installing over Shadow Defender the rfwfree09.exe and this is what's in the EULA.

Rising has gone to the clouds too and it's taking us with it! :D

A firewall that automatically sends data home isn't for my taste.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Sounds just the same as agnitums improvenet to me
    ellison

5. Fuzzfas

I don't know... I installed the installer with the rfwfree09.exe installer, without uninstalling AShampoo.

This COULD be the free firewall. It asked me no registration. It's 21.19.01.

Soon after installation you can OPT OUT from the "clouds" (uncheck the join the clouds thingie that's checked by default):

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2354/73371491ce1.png

You can disable automatic updates and network access to firewall's exes. Still, as soon as i click the tray to open the GUI, i get RSMain.exe, outbound port 80 to 211.103.159.73 (Beijing Bitone United Networks Technology Service Co.,Ltd.) . The Alert was from Ashampoo, not Rising. 4-5 at a time.

My guess is that it's the free version for 2009, but i think i will stay with Ashampoo. The idea that i open the gui and the firewall calls Beijing doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's from a conflict with Ashampoo, but then again, maybe it's not. Time to flush Shadow Defender.

This is the "about" entry:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4642/47520620wf2.png

Anyone remembers what the previous free version was showing here?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. subset

subset Registered Member

The download link from the blog is the same like in MeFer's post (#125).

Is this some sort of promo or the free FW?
    It's really difficult to find out with Rising which version it is...o_O

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

so which .exe is the right one, the "rfwz08" or the "rfwfree09"?

8. firzen771

this is about the firewall, we weren't talking about their AV :p

9. Re: Rising Firewall Free Edition?

oops my error I appologize to all, sorry to intrude. My old eyes are not what they once were just saw that Rising name and I was concerned.

10. firzen771

np man :D

11. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Tried the 2009 version. Actually it's touted as "Rising Firewall ii". No internet access for me, I'm afraid. I'm very familiar with its 2008 counterpart which worked very well, so I'll go out on a limb and say that this monkey is a beta release. Cloud tech and all.

12. Fuzzfas

In my case, the rfwfree09 installer, worked well, even without uninstalling Ashampoo! I had actually forgotten to shut down Emule and it started working with emule too on the fly (asked me permission). So i had 2 firewalls and emule running all together!

What i did notice is that the gui had slow response times compared to the "old" free version. But that can be because of running together with Ashampoo and/or over Shadow Defender.

13. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

14. firzen771

so again, which is the right .exe file. is it the "rfwz08" or the "rfwfree09" im not sure which one im supposed to install?

15. Fuzzfas

I don't know about the 08, but i would bet that the rfwfree09 is the free version. I saw no mention to register , no countdown or reference of trial period and the tag "free" is encouraging.

Just my opinion.

16. ellison64

And to complicate things even more the link i gave in earlier post ,gives you the executable called rfwxl.exe at just over 17 meg and is completly different to previous screenshots :)
    ellison

Attached Files:

17. Fuzzfas

LOL! This one looks more polished! But the version number is older. o_O

The whole firewall management has been very unprofessional from Rising's part. They used to have the free version at TuCows. On Rising's site, there wasn't any free version. Then the free version wanted registration. Then they said they fixed the issue and won't happen again, but they removed the file from TuCows and now there isn't any free version anywhere. Now we come up with 2 different versions and 3 different installers of what MIGHT be the free version , all found from unofficial sources.

Why don't they make up their mind in Rising? Do they want to have a free version or not? If they do, then why don't they say so in their site and keep the installer updated? o_O

This company is really weird. And it's a shame because the firewall is very light and thus can become a good solution for people who want simple outbound control with no frills.

18. ellison64

I liked it so much that i was willing to purchase it,however its one of those softwares that becomes disabled and useless when the yearly license runs out,something that i abhor so i wont pay for it.
    ellison

19. Fuzzfas

Really!? I had no idea! I don't think there is any other firewall with such a policy! :ninja:

20. ellison64

Yes i contacted rising with a view to purchase but was told that when the license runs out the firewall ceases to function.
    ellison

21. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I'm with the version that was on Tucows. RFWFREE.exe 14.4 MB.The one that i had trouble with updates on 2 PC which was not the product fault.
    I had tried rfwz08.exe 15,6MB from Mefer 2nd link.Seems that there is a little bit more of a code there :) (more running processes+a new outbound flood attack module disabled by default)but the product didn't lost it's lightweight performance at least on the PC i tried it.
    Since i'm not sure how long this will be free i will remain with the 1st choice.

22. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I tested a few 0 day malware samples with the rfwz08.exe version from Mefer which in about diplays as Rising Personal Firewall 2009 talking about confusion eeh :) )and i found the alert window very good for such a simple product considering that it displays even the modules.
    Also it has a track IP feature in case of an attack but unfortunately it takes you to a chinese site ,of which i don't understand nothing even with google translate,or babylon :)

Attached Files:

23. firzen771

hmm, i see, well im still really lost to which .exe to install, so i guess ill wait until someone is POSITIVE of which is the correct one :p

24. firzen771

ok ive been looking at all the details for the "rfwz08" and "rfwfree09" and they seem to be EXACTLY the same, just have a different name for the .exe which i guess makes sense depending who uploaded the .exe

so im just gunna give one of them a shot considering they appear to be the same file.

*EDIT*

after installing Rising FW, i lost all internet access, none of my programs could connect, so even though the program seemed to be very feature rich i guess i won't be using it until that issue is resolved.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.