RFW 2009 (Rising Firewall) Free + RIS 2009 Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Someone, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Okay now I've uncovered this..

Those with 2009 are not Free

Rising PC Doctor is a free software you can download in Rising website directly. It enables you to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer & Windows, to examine your computer far away from Trojan Behavior. Rising PC Doctor will greatly enhance your security protection against malware and cyber threats.

But not the same, Rising Antivirus 2009, Rising Firewall 2009 and Rising Internet Security 2009, these three official multilingual paid software programs, will be three defensive walls during the process of Anti-spyware and recovering activities. Rising Internet Security 2009 contains a zero day protection allowing users to communicate with Rising virus lab in a rapid response network to catch Trojans and other Internet malware. Besides, Rising Internet Security 2009 protects you away from malicious viruses, Trojans, Worms, Rootkits, spyware, and other malware, and provides you strong security protection while online.

The Rising Firewall 2009, will keep your computer off the malicious websites throughout a daily updating method. To intercept website and malicious network attacks, Rising Cloud Security will update the malicious data system and enter the rule database, in turn to prevent attack from Trojan, long-distance and browsers.

For the prevention of Trojan, Rising Antivirus 2009 is the effective tool. With the monitoring control of malicious website and Trojan spreading rules, Rising Antivirus 2009 will lay importance on its aggressive behavior, afterwards, it will cut off its spreading media.

To sum up, the version 2009 of Rising Security software, will be always engaged in computer virus prevention in the world. Developed by Rising International Software, which is a leading and earliest enterprise for internet environment management and development, the 2009 Rising Security software will bring you a different browsing experience. The most important thing is, with Rising Security software, your computer and personal settings will be protected in an effective and safe way.

Rising Internet Security 2009 protects you apart from malicious viruses, Trojans, Worms, Rootkits, spyware, and other malware, and provides you strong security protection while online. Rising Internet Security 2009 also has a friendly interface and is easy-to-use for beginners; also there are many customizable options for advanced users who wish this software to run as according to his/her personal settings.

2. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Yes, and there's also a network of servers for the updates so not everybody's requests go to the same place. My guess is that they haven't yet got round to programing all the update servers with the information required to spot out of region downloads and prompt them to register.

Internal communications within Rising don't seem too smart either and I'm not sure they know themselves exactly what it is they have spread around the globe.

3. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

If this is correct (I don't know it) is so new and no information about was published by RISING, at least I don't have seen it. I've asked to "risingsupport" about freewares licenses in the past (2008 year) and they answered me that their freewares are freewares without limitations. After some time I've asked them about their "Installer Creation Tool" for the 2009 versions and they answered me that is only available for paid softwares....Some things can be changing about their freewares now, but I've used their 2008 free versions (RAV & RFW) the entire 2008 year without issues and/or limitations. Who knows the next...?

Can be this, or throught the IP user ID (I'm a registered user at "risingsupport.com", and I've sent some "tickets"), but the reality for me now is that I'm using it (RIS2009 in my desktop, and RAV & RFW 2009 in my laptop) without license issues, but I don't know for how many more time, all the 2009 year, 1 month, some days...¿?

Thanks,

zen_usuario

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  4. zen_usuario

I think the same. Rising's final installation process starts before Windows logging, so uninstallation process could be completed by the same way.

5. zen_usuario

Some more about RISING (RAV, the antivirus), I think of interest because shows some "technical issues" with free & trial versions, so license issues also:

"NOTICE - For Upgrade!
    Rising Antivirus Free Edition Upgrade

Dear RISING Users:

RISING, the famous security vendor, has released Rising Antivirus Free Edition 2009.
    Because of technical issue, some users who get upgrade through old Rising Antivirus Free Edition will get Rising Antivirus 2009 trial version product, or failed to get upgrade.We are very sorry about this issue.
    In order to continue using Rising Antivirus Free Edition, please uninstall Rising Antivirus Free Edition 2008 or Rising Antivirus 2009 trial version product, then download and install Rising Antivirus Free Edition 2009.

The latest Rising Antivirus Free Edition has the same service and function as Rising Antivirus 2009 paid version, but there are some differences which need users to know:
    1. Information centre service:
    Rising Antivirus Free Edition has Information centre window in its main interface, and this window drive users get latest news of RISING. But Rising Antivirus 2009 paid version not;
    2. Update Service:
    RISING paid version product gets update through high speed update server each day, but Rising Antivirus Free Edition product does not;
    3. Technical support:
    RISING provides fast response technical support to each paid version product user; but the support to RISING free version product user may be limited;
    4. Users buy Rising Antivirus paid version can get a Rising Firewall with same service life in FREE; but Rising Antivirus Free version users could not.

Users who get problem in upgrade, please contact Rising Support Centre.
    Click here to know more about RISING security product.

RISING Team"

Source: freerav.com

6. deadmeat

So are they saying here that the Free updates are still daily but just slower, or is there another timescale allocated?

This would certainly be a cause for concern if the updates were not frequent or as comprehensive in nature (remember Spyware Doctor Free edition?). Even if manual updating is an option not everyone remembers (or can be bothered) to do this.

As per my other post I've found it quite frustrating dealing with Rising. The only operation that performs effectively is their automated response to my emails. When a "human" reply arrives it's often from someone else who says something completely different to the one I was mailing before.

I appreciate the challenges involved with a global operation which has a fair sized customer base alien to your native language but if they're happy enough to sell the stuff here then really it ought to be more clear what we get for our money, free or otherwise.

7. tipstir

Forget RIS 2009 then but those with the license showing or displaying on the status are the ones to avoid... But after doing some deep searching.. RFW / RAV are available for free 100%. But not the ones with 09 in the file name.

8. tipstir

Found Free 100% RFW and well I had the Free 100% RAV

Okay enough is enough with Comodo Internet Security was screwing my internet connections with sites and AV kept on reporting software that didn't have viruses in there and malware same crap showing winrar images as malware. So any..

So with some deep old fashion searching I found a free version RFW and I already had a free version of RAV the one they offer you as free. There are two free RAVINT - international and freeav shown below.

There was a link to the free RFW but that's dead as a door nail. But with some deeper searching I found below as you can see no license message loads as rfwfree.exe. The RAV which is found on Cnet and Rising is suppose to be free though the license words show up. I know the RAVINT doesn't have that. Anyway I'll use this free one for now.

Attached Files:

9. tipstir

These post seem to be delayed here. I never seen any of these replies. I'll see how the updates go..

10. zen_usuario

They didn't explained this and it's important to know what is the update behavior: slow download daily automated update or not automated daily update available? I think the first, but....I frequently update it manually, also I've observed the same day automated updates more than one time.
    I sure to you that the information I've posted about was yesterday on te main page of freerav.com, so updated.
    I've sended a "ticket" to them asking for this. If they reply me with an answer, I'll inform you about.
    I've got some accurate & appropiate replies from them. I've not got issues with risingsupport by the moment.
    No license issues by the moment also with RIS, all running ok and updated to 21.44.31.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  11. tipstir

All there files are on virtual servers.. So the links you had provided where for the trial versions. These same servers are where the free version are that house Rising PC Doctor Free, Rising AV Free, Rising Internet Security Free (yes there is a free one without 09 in the file name and Rising Firewall Free.

Rising Internet Security Free English/Chinese Version
    risfree.exe (free) this one has to be tested and see if it goes beyond 3 months

Rising Internet Security 2009 Free/Trial English/Chinese Version
    risfree09.exe (trial)

Rising Firewall Free English/Chinese Version
    rfwfree.exe (free)

Rising Firewall 2009 Free/Trial English/Chinese Version

rfwfree09.exe (trial)

Rising Anti-Virus Free English/Chinese Version
    ravfree.exe (free)

Rising Anti-Virus Free International Version
    ravintfree.exe (free)

Rising Anti-Virus 2009 Free/Trial English/Chinese Version
    ravfree09.exe (trial)

I see no difference between the ravfree.exe and ravintfree.exe except for the extra languages that's about it and file size. Downloads speeds are quick for me as my internet is fast. Okay use those links a few postings back and drop the 09 off the .exe and the free versions will download from the virtual Chinese servers.

There are more files on those virtual servers like..

/kakatool/KakaSetup.exe (this is the Chinese version only of Rising PC Doctor)
    /rsfree/ravolusrfree.exe
    /rsfree/Ravd23.exe.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The installer for the free antivirus that I used is called "freerav".
    The program is identical to the screenshot that tipstir posted.
    I can confirm that the installer is for the free antivirus.

Updates are automatic and silent. It works, but on occasion I have been able to find updates by checking manually.

13. tipstir

Well I am testing the RIS Free (risfree.exe installer) out on my main wireless laptop only and see how this goes. Before I start putting it back on the rest on the network. For now I'll install rfwfree.exe, ravfree.exe for now on the rest of the systems. If risfree.exe keeps going as so far it is as this is the same system that had the risfree09.exe which had prompted for buying the product. Now with it's free version is going beyond that request. No more popups.

14. zen_usuario

Yeah, thanks! :argh:
    I've attempted to dowload a risintfree.exe and a rfwintfree.exe and both shows the "The file that you request has removed" message ¿?, How many more "combinations" can be available? *puppy* (Don't name me fool, please, I'm just kidding with the names and their download servers).

They (RISING) published Rising PC Doctor (Rising main page) and Rising Antivirus (freerav.com) are free versions available, but for the rest nothing, still their download servers are fully accessible for other free versions (english/chinese). Who understand this?
    If the others free versions are only for the chinese market, why no letters about?
    When I've installed the ...free09 versions I've clicked "yes" to the license information, and I don't remember something saying "only for chinese market use". But perhaps I've not readed all the text, or I've missed something...:blink:

I'll like to see some "Rising official" explanation about this here, if happens. Because I don't like to stay on the "dark side" and waste my time with "semi-legal" or "not clear for what or where" supposed freewares.

This somethings seems the "Rising Circus", with all the respects, and we are their clowns. :argh:

By the moment all my installed RISING's are running ok (risfree09, ravfree09 and rfwfree09). :D

Cheers,

zen_usuario

15. tipstir

There is no intl of RIS, RFW versions. Only free versions which are free and the free with 09 that are free for 3 months trial. RIS Free risfree.exe installer is working.. Updates an etc..

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  16. zen_usuario

From the rising-global.com page, the installer names of the downloadable trial versions are:

RIS 2009 trial: RisINT_AU.exe
    RAV 2009 trial: RavINT_AU.exe
    RFW 2009 trial: RfwINT_AU.exe

All these are international versions.

The names show very different than risfree09, ravfree09 or rfwfree09.
    So can be their servers are not updated and still remain old versions, or other things. But I think "free" is free, not trial. Trial versions have different names.

Why a free version changes to a trial, for me, is the question to answer.

I've suffered this with rfwfree09 in the past, and after an update some days later, the issue was resolved.

If RISING can help us...I'll agree them, and more people also I guess

17. tipstir

AU is a different. Are you getting that from the Austria sites? I am just sticking with the risfree, rfwfree and ravfree for now.. I only running the risfree on one system. The rest including server will use rfwfree/ravfree for now. So far so good..

Just have to see by end of August 2009 what happens.. Do the notices popup or not.. on rfwfree, ravfree, risfree.

18. tipstir

Some issues with RAV/RFW on systems with less than 1GB. Memory leak. Don't know which one is leaking. But on those system I used risfree.exe installer those update without any prompts.

19. tipstir

Okay leaked fixed just run the next update. ...

20. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

Regarding my version rfwfree09 circa 19Feb09 it was installed longer than 90 days since appearance of license issue with free firewall. This seems anomalous to a 90 day countdown. When updating firewall, is it possible to download an expiration to an already running prog . I ask because i have original as well as 08. My thought was to uninstall present and install as previous but not to update, and why update firewall anyway, it either works or does not ? (present updated 21.43.6 installation seems suddenly crippled, worse than an unobtrusive license popup).

Tipstir has warned that uninstalling Rising with Revo may damage registry. If you have a spare moment tipster could you explain? Do timeouts need to be manually removed to avoid damage for instance? I had thought to try this but now hesitate.

I also use ravINTfree, only updated defs and eng since first couple updates, i think, no problems but i have no mal to confirm it is working still, no expired license anyway. Sorry if i am not getting it, and apologize as well for not being in context with RIS, but if stand-alones are problematic more so a suite i would guess. Seems as if a reversion to previous satisfactory functionality (without compromising security) would be ok, esp. if one were hooked on freeware.

21. tipstir

WebSecurity feature in RFW free works better than RIS still seems to be a bug there? I update everything, as being a programmer I know that modules do fail and can crash. I use RIS on wireless laptops that don't have a gig of RAM since RIS free is lite on system resources.

Revo would uninstall files that are needed for Rising to complete remove itself after the reboot. I know this because of the program that I use that monitors the Registry Run or Run as as Rising adds something to that entry. Revo would remove everything then Rising would popup error.

Anyway RFW and RAV both free versions seems to be working and updating I hope they keep going like that. Just takes so much time out of my day to run around to my systems to remove software to get things working. I really don't want to worry about anything. Each RAV and RIS are set to clean a virus, if it can't clean it, it has orders to delete it. My server OS is very important to me so that needs to be protected and RIS Free is installed there. I didn't have the time to install RAV free then update it and then reboot then configure it. Takes so much time. Then you I have to install RFW free, update it reboot and that's it.. Everything is password protected. I don't need someone to come over like my nephews and try to disable the firewall on the laptop, because they can't get to MYSPACE, FACEBOOK or TWITTER.

I like Rising cloud protection better than anything out there right now. They have enterprise versions of their RFW and RAV for business in China, middle east, Austria.

If you don't have issues then leave your versions as they are. I would update them fully though. But that's up to you..

22. zen_usuario

Not from Austria, from rising-global.com "produts" page, clicking "download trial".
    I don't know where have their servers located...but _AU appears in all international trial installers names.

23. zen_usuario

Hi deadmeat,

Today I've got a reply from risingsupport:
    "Hi,

For Antivirus Free Edition, update version is released everyday. However, daily upgrade frequency is lower than paid edition. So, automatic update of Free Edition is slightly slow.

Any problem do not hesitate to contact us."

Fastly answered from risingsupport...

24. zen_usuario

In the case of Rising Firewall, the updates implements also new antitrojan protections with the newest definitions database....so its a valuable protection part.

Here all running ok, updated to 21.44.42 (full update, defs & components)

25. deadmeat

Thanks for the heads up - appreciated. So no real issue here, just a bit slower.

I also double checked with my own contact at Rising and the only programs which can be legally used "free" outside of China (except for specific local promotions) are the AV and PC Doctor, not the Internet Security Suite or Firewall.

I'm lucky enough to have been given a key for the firewall to enable me to complete a comparative article for my own website, but if you ask me now I would most certainly pay for one otherwise. I've always resisted suites, not because the concept is flawed, but because trying to build in functionality for users with unstable systems and little desire to run anything outside of default settings is often what causes the HIPS component conflicts. The amount of issues (some serious) still being reported in the various forums would suggest that many vendors are still some way off achieving this goal.

I'm certainly no network expert (like Stem) but in some ways that gives me an edge because I use things like average people and so encounter the same things they do. Over the past two years I've used and abused most of the major products and apart from some of the oldies that are solid enough (like NetVeda and Sygate) the only two current firewalls to give me no issues at all have been Privatefirewall and Rising. I should also include Look 'n' Stop although I did have an issue with not being able to re-establish a dropped connection without a restart but this was a peculiarity of the odd USB modem I use and so would not affect anyone else.

Preferring to adopt a layered approach I've kept Rising on my least mucked about with machine together with Avira free, System Safety Monitor and CMF and it runs flawlessly. The other thing I like about Rising is the choice to set IP for rules priority over applications, but this is just my personal preference. I've always felt that the best solution for someone is the one they can understand and work with the most, no matter where it might happen to appear in someone else's "test" chart. In this respect Rising has probably the best working interface in the business and the layout, although "pretty", is also highly functional. It always amazes me how some vendors seem to add in their log features almost as an afterthought. Considering that for rule creation this area requires a clear presentation Rising again do better than many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.