Reward Beta testers

Discussion in 'polls' started by nikanthpromod, Jan 18, 2010.

?

Reward Beta Testers

1. Yes , By money

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Yes ,By giving them a free license

47 vote(s)
    87.0%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Should software vendors reward Beta testers for finding vulnerabilities in their software?

2. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

and yet after countless testing, ive never been given a free license to anything.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Let's say they reward with a license. How many errors do you need to find to earn a $2000 license for example?
    There are many cases where vendors give away software for free, asking nothing in return. So why wouldn't there be cases where users test a software and report errors, also asking nothing in return? Seems like a fair trade to me.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well A-Squared's current closed beta offers free licenses and amazon gift cards to active testers.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

This question is like a 2-edged sword. I have particpated in betas like Aviras and they are very generous. I have recieved a free license, polo shirt and a nice Avira duffle bag in the past.

Closed betas I am sure testers get free licences. Open betas it comes down to how much you participate. Kaspersky has a ton of testers, and I am sure they reward the ones that are active with posting feedback through the entire beta.

Just registering though should never qualify you for a free license.

In all my years here, most vendors look to reward those who actually care and assist them in trying to make the beta right.

6. subset

subset Registered Member

Beta Tester Union demands statutory minimum wage. :D

No, if someone is in beta testing just for the money, he is really wasting his time.
    If someone spends only an our per week for testing and gets a free license every year, he earns most likely less than $1 per hour. :p

I think for most it's just a hobby or to throw one's weight around or whatever.
    And as there are always more than enough volunteers around - why should companies pay for it?

Cheers

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have been beta testing with Sunbelt, since 2005, and have always received a free license at the end of testing. :)

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A free license is reasonable for beta testers who at least put in a decent effort. Agnitum (Outpost Firewall) have been very generous, imo, to their beta testers.

9. nikanthpromod

10. nikanthpromod

wow coooool:thumb:

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I certainly wouldn't vote 'no', because I appreciate what they do, but don't beta testers get a reward of sorts just by getting their itchy fingers on something brand new and untouched by the masses?

12. shakethebabyass

shakethebabyass Registered Member

Norton/Symantec Beta Testers

Norton Beta Testers always get a NFR (not for resale) version of the product they tested as long as they submit feedback and help out in the forums. You do not have to find a major bug or become king of the forums either. I just tested Norton 2010.5 which is now released as of 3 days ago and now I do not have to extend my product because it is free!

I know most beta testers win things like Ipods, and free software IF they find a bug.. by the time I usually do find a bug its been reported a million times.

*dont give me the Norton sucks crap, I know alot of you will never give them a second chance.. who cares. Its totally all the protection and lightness I could ask for on ALL of my PC's.

ALL beta testers should not get rewarded. Some of them only want to get it because it is a free version and they use it as if it is the real thing on a production system. They usually do not contribute anything to the testing project but a useless download and invitation that could be used by someone who will do what they are suppose to do, find bugs and problems for the public when it becomes available.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  13. Get

Get Registered Member

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think rewarding beta testers with a free license is a good idea IF you actively participate- submit bugs etc...

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And free licenses doesn't cost them anything :D
    And they get another happy camper in their faction :ninja:

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it indirectly costs them since thats 1 less potential customer who buys the license since they have it free, i think giving licenses to ACTIVE beta testers is a good idea, but im just letting u know they do loose something potentially, but that loss culd also indirectly lead to a gain by say that tester getting a friend to purchase the product, etc.

17. icr

icr Registered Member

I too agree with giving away free license for active testers

18. guest

guest Guest

Of course, and by very high amounts of money if it is a security issue/vulnerability - be it serious or not.

A free licence should be a prerequisite to minimally beta test something , i.e. at least four confirmed bugs reported.

19. ameyap

ameyap Registered Member

wow 83 + % in favor of a free licence just like me. we have a clear winner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.