Revo Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller Alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tyrizian, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

It certainly is. My Photoshop install, for some reason, was nowhere to be found in Control Panel and neither CCleaner nor Revo could find it. This program, however, managed to somehow do so. Thanks! :)

3. Tyrizian

No problem, Glad this utility helped you out. I got rid of my Revo Uninstaller for this. I think GeekUninstaller is way better.

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

In their Home Page they claim that is portable. Not exactly!
    Checked with SandboxIE and tracked with SandboxDiff:
    Code:
    [SIZE="2"]Files:
    > R:\Sandbox\<User>\DefaultBox\user\current\AppData\Local\Temp\geekuninstaller_x64.exe
    > R:\Sandbox\<User>\DefaultBox\user\current\AppData\Roaming\Geek Uninstaller\cache.dat
    > R:\Sandbox\<User>\DefaultBox\user\current\AppData\Roaming\Geek Uninstaller\prefs.xml
    Registry:
    > \Sandbox_<User>_DefaultBox\user\current\software\Geek Uninstaller\LastRunDate [11] = 570AFFFFFFAB4F00000000[/SIZE]

They say: "Version valid until 6.2012"; what that means really?
    Other than that, since it's x64 compatible, is an interesting option to Revo (like IObit).

5. Tyrizian

Not unless that date is their cutoff cap before they decide to push out an update, which in turn will give a different valid date for the newer version...Not too sure really.

Yes, it is a very nice alternative to Revo and IObit.

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Does it scan for remnants after removal ? And even advanced uninstaller pro is free now

7. Tyrizian

Yes, it does scan for remnants after uninstall.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Awesome program thanks for the share. :D

9. Tyrizian

No problem :thumb:

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I just read about this yesterday,so it's good to see some positive feedback.

One very good feature is the option to look in some detail at installed programs and see their associated files and registry entries.It also offers a google search of the software and the developer from the right click menu,very promising utility.:thumb:

11. Tyrizian

It definitely has a lot of useful features...Not bad for freeware.

12. Tyrizian

Version 1.0.0.2 has been released today

1.0.0.2 adds:

fixed small issues in removing traces, program list drawing fix

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I was going to try this and see how well it performs, but Raymond beat me to it: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/uninstal...ampaign=Feed: RaymondccBlog (Raymond.CC Blog)

Revo does a much better job of finding leftovers.

I did try it and it, and it won't scan for leftovers if you cancel an uninstall, unlike Revo, IoBit and others - something which I like about the other uninstallers, as it lets you test how well they work without actually having to uninstall anything. However when actually uninstall a program, the scan fir leftovers was very fast. If they make a non portable version I may actually use this, since I don't bother with other uninstallers as they take to long - usually I'm uninstalling 20 or 30 one after the other, so speed is a big consideration for me.

14. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Uninstallers are crap, snake oil, and sometimes break other reg entries for other programs

I tried Revo Uninstaller Pro and refunded it after it broke my firefox + all addons after I uninstalled JAVA 6 update 30

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

OFFTOPIC: This is one of the reasoning I really hated. One product does bad, and all the products on the same category is bad. The last time I recall Revo clearly warns when removing registry entries. It's your fault for happy triggering the check box when removing entries.

As for Geekuninstaller, if you haven't tested the product, then don't make such comments. Geekuninstaller is not as strong as Revo when removing left overs. So I pretty much say that it's safe.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I liked your old avatar better. Same rant though. :p

17. roger_m

I just used this to uninstall 30 programs - I'm continually installing new software on my computer, and never do a fresh install of Windows so I end up with a lot of software installed.

Some of the software had already been uninstalled, but was still showing up (this was only for software installed with Windows installer) - for such instances there is a "Force Removal" option, which removes the uninstall entry and also search for leftovers.

The speed of scanning for leftovers is impressive - at the expense of finding fewer leftovers than other uninstallers. However, on occasion as with other uninstallers unrelated files and registry keys are found - and these should not be deleted of course. On the plus side, the way the results are organised, any such false positives are immediately recognisable and can be deselected.

18. Tyrizian

For being the new kid on the block, I think the software is quite impressive in it's early development. I find this software way more useful than Revo and IObit Uninstallers. I think GeekUninstaller is on the right track.

19. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

None of the scanning uninstallers is nearly as thorough as you think they are. Most of what they do is:
    - remove the application's folder in Program Files;
    - remove the application's shortcuts from the Start menu;
    - remove the application's folders in AppData and LocalAppData;
    - remove the application's keys in HKLM\Software and HKCU\Software.
    That's about 90% of what all uninstallers do. Some don't even do all of these.

Geek Uninstaller is and won't be any different than the rest.

20. Tyrizian

Revo and IObit both had these problems

1. Didn't show a complete list of your programs
    2. Could delete other directories not associated with the program you're trying to uninstall, therefore leaving other programs useless (Basically it performed a cleanup for other programs that you didn't intend on uninstalling). Although this didn't happen all the time, it did happen occasionally.

GeekUninstaller does not do this at all, and that is why I consider it far more superior than the others. GeekUninstaller is by no means the greatest, it still needs some work, but as far as functionality goes...it's pretty solid.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  21. Night_Raven

That's good and all but it doesn't really make these uninstallers really necessary. They don't do anything even remotely complicated that the user can't do himself. And considering that the possible leftovers are almost never problematic in any way, I see no real reason for people to risk losing an important file/folder if the uninstaller delete it by mistake, regardless how low that risk is.
    Same thing as with registry cleaners.

22. Tyrizian

Well, I find GeekUninstaller useful and I like using it. As for the registry cleaner thing....I have used them for many years now, and never ran into a registry cleaner that gave me issues. Some people will like them, Some people won't.

It's kind of like saying that an Antivirus isn't necessary because signatures can't keep up with today's threats. It might be true to some, but others find it necessary to have.

Every single product will have a downside...It's inevitable.

23. Night_Raven

With the difference that an antivirus has a much, MUCH higher chance of actually doing something useful (which in its case would be protecting the user), unlike uninstallers and registry cleaners that are 99.99% useless. :D

24. Tyrizian

I still like to use them, so nothing changes that. If you don't use them and find them useless, then you're entitled to that. Since I have had no bad experiences using GeekUninstaller or any Registry Cleaner for that matter, I will have them on my system. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on anything...Which is fine.

And by the way, where did you hear that those utilities are 99.99% useless, is this a known fact or are you basing this off your own assumption?

Hope that doesn't sound rude, my intentions are not to be.

25. roger_m

This is actually not the case, as Geek Uninstaller does sometimes find unrelated leftovers - just like Revo and the other uninstallers which scan for leftovers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.