Revo Uninstaller: Installing Apps that install other apps+reboots

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Glad that you concur with me about activation. On four machines I am having the similar problems about activation.

I bought TU, 18 months ago for two years with family license. Paid an arm and a leg. Within 6 months, no more updates will be allowed.

After buying, 2 months later had the same "Catastrophic error" on all four machines, with both v5 and now with v6. Waste of money and time.

Been working with support for the last two days, the last I heard this morning from them is following:

So far, it has been wastage of emails for two days, and trying to install their debug TU.

2. aladdin

Dear ellison64.

You compared TU activation process to Shadow Protect. I don't think it matters to Shadow Protect, which country one is activating from.

Here is my email to support when I first tried to install v6 and activate:

Here is their response:

As I said earlier, the developer of TU is more busy trying to stop the paid users than trying to really work on his program.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I dont like these limited activations either but it seems lots of software going that way.I know its no consolation but i would have thought if all 4 machines had the same catastrophic error then in theory it should be easier to discover the problem as you have more to compare with.I hope the debug can help and i hope you let us know outcome.

4. aladdin

You can bet that they will blame on "system restore" I had Rollback Rx on them, and since Rollback Rx turns off the "system restore", I had to manually turn it on about sometime ago.

But still I am thinking to turn off the "system restore" as I might be buying Deep Freeze.

5. aladdin

I am sorry that I don't agree with you.

It is insane that one purchases the software in one country, activates it in that country, then he/she travels, it then asks for activation while traveling, but he/she cannot activate it because he/she is in a different country, then he/she bought it from.

Do you know any other software which requires this?

6. ellison64

Well due to politics ,some software that was bought in some countries cant be updated at all anymore.That isnt fair either.I didnt know that TU was country specific activated to be honest ,although i guessed it was hardware id activated,and knew it was limited activations though support could reset the activations if required.That said ,if TU actually works on a system and has no activation problem ,then it is the current best uninstaller.That isnt going to help you though ,so i hope that TU support can work something out with you.

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Last time I checked Revo couldn't handle monitoring an install across reboots. It's a major failing of the product imo and another reason why Total Uninstall is a more preferable solution. TU would handle the Nero install just fine.

Just to balance this thread out a little, I have never experienced any activation issues with TU. The concept of having to reactivate TU monthly (as per KOR) has simply never occurred on my PC. I've activated TU a grand total of once in the past few years. Either I'm just lucky, or KOR is just unlucky...who knows.

8. aladdin

And, what version of TU you own?

9. Scoobs72

Version 5 here.

10. aladdin

I thought so!

I bought v5 about 18 months ago, with 2 years update. V6 was released with a new key. I tried to activate it in Oman, though I purchased it in USA. Here is the error, I got:

The Customer Country [US] is not the same with the Computer Location [OM].

Science has nothing to do with luck. Read very carefully my posts #27 and #30.

11. aladdin

It has nothing to do with politics. I again, I hate to disagree with you.

TU is both hardware and country specific activated.

12. Scoobs72

Seems a perfectly reasonable approach for preventing pirating of software to me. But anyway, I don't think your activation issues are what this thread is about.

13. aladdin

This thread is about REVO and not TU. You are singing the songs of TU.

Do you know any other software which is country and hardware activation specific?

14. Scoobs72

No, I answered the OP's question. Revo will not monitor installations across reboots. For that he would need TU.

I'm not interested. It's too far off-topic.

15. aladdin

Someone started to sing TU songs. I am just trying to balance it since I paid an arm and a leg for a family license (four licenses) for two years update:

1. The developer is working on activating and pirating rather than improving his software.

2. It has not been working on my four machines since v5, giving "Catastrophic error".

Maybe, the developer should go back and work on his product, or someone will out shine him.

16. aladdin

What happened to Global Village?

What good is this software?

Imagine, one is traveling and wants to install a software and wants to monitor this installation with TU, or wants to uninstall a software with TU.

So, one starts the software. Now, the software is deactivated. WHY? Because one is in a different country. So, what one should do.

Imagine, every software worked like above.

What good is this software?

What happened to Global Village?

For those who have no activation problem with v5, should keep it and don't pay their hard earned money to upgrade to v6.

17. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

False, many relevant updates and recently a new major version just released with many improvements, while Revo for example just release language and some unspecified minor bug fixes months between and lacks behind TU in previous mentioned areas.

TU has very good piracy protection, good support and it works like charm for me.

18. ellison64

well i guess the answer is (for those in this thread is that are interested) that if your gonna travel outiside your country,dont purchase TU.I didnt know this until you mentioned it ,although i cant see it affecting me personally.Do you know if theres anything at the TU site that mentions the activation by country thing/ or is it something you learned later?.It would not be good practise to hide this fact to prospective buyers if thats the case.I have an account at forum so ill ask later too.

19. aladdin

When I purchased v5 with two years update from Oman [OM] ip address, I gave my USA [US] address and credit card. When v6, was released I was sent a new serial key for v6. When I tried to activate v6 from Oman [OM], I got the following error:

The Customer Country [US] is not the same with the Computer Location [OM].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.