Returnstar Recovery PCI card

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Espresso, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Anyone ever use one of these? You can get them for under $10 with free shipping. They have a software-only program as well (32 & 64bit). It does appear to save changes through reboots so it should work for testing software. It only appears to protect the first physical hard drive from what I read in the user's guide.

sku_2896_1.jpg

http://www.recoverystar.com/recovery.html

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I am guessing it works like any other virtualization. It uses RAM? And the card is just like RAM?

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

http://returnstar.co.uk/page_1245331325984.html

Don't see any reviews anywhere hmmmm

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

No, it uses free drive space for shadowing, like most, if not all light virtualization programs. The card appears to be only for security issues (locking the drive) and choosing modes as far as I can tell from the user's guide. The link for the latest 32 bit version is down now so I can't try it. I assume you get the software with the card so ~$10 is a pretty good price, if it works well and saves the session through reboots.

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'm sure there's a discussion here somewhere about 'em - hardware recovery.

They are okay but obviously fall down and where software comes in when installing across a large network. Not sure how they have progressed with feature set but when I last looked not as much as a software based recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.