Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by LenC, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Coldmoon,

You were supposed to get back to me on my question about license expiration for the free version (post #22). Any info yet?

Thanks

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

See post 19, your question was answered there I believe.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    You were correct and I apologize for the confusion :oops: I corrected the post on the first page so that new readers get the info without having to read through to the second page

Mike

4. Firebytes

Coldmoon thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

bgoodman4 thanks for pointing out that the answer had already been posted. I just didn't think to look to an earlier post than the one where I asked the question for the answer. :D

5. bgoodman4

Yes, I thought it was a bit odd that you asked a question that had just been answered, but alls well that ends well.

6. Purplexity

Purplexity Registered Member

Excellent, thankyou Coldmoon, and sorry for asking so many questions, also thanks for answering them all ! :) I think you enjoyed doing so, and hoping others benefit from your reply also :)
    Being a Nerd isn't easy ...
    Concerning KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security):
    What I mean, and believe to happen is that the Kaspersky server notes it has already sent me a VDB update, whereas it dissapears obviously on rebooting. No major headache, as I said, I believe doing your "Housekeeping" before enabling Returnil is essential.
    Cookies, such as in the case of Kaspersky updating (? ...just guessing their server notes updates with a cookie, no matter how it's done, it is noted, but updates can be invoked, no drama really) , is a tricky consideration for all subscribed topics, read posts, within a browser- server relationship, etc., with time I'm sure I'll iron out my misinterpretation of such events reading your resonses. I'll make a Doc out of this info for later reference.
    Again some great advice and suggestions configurationally, thanks !
    Your suggestions are spot on, I tried to think of all minor issues I may run into and you have helped me greatly.
    As far as Malware, I really am very secure, through my habits and setup. For when my young Son spends hours doing whatever "teenagers" do online Returnil is a godsend, I very much enjoy knowing I can return my Computer to a unblemished state, once he's finished :D
    Also for testing software great advantages to be gained .

Thanks Mike for your time,
    Kind Regards .

7. Firebytes

I actually asked the question before the information was provided. Coldmoon just answered me by going back and editing his earlier post and I neglected to reread the whole thread since I expected the answer to come in a later post. No big deal, I just didn't want you to think I was a complete idiot (LOL)... close but not complete. ;)

8. bgoodman4

I realise that now but at the time I posted my original comment I did not know thats what had happened.

9. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

What exactly is a non-system drive? How am I more vulnerable if its not protected?

10. Coldmoon

Your System partition or alternately: boot partition, is where your operating system is installed (usually C:\ ). Non-system partitions or drives are any other drive or partition on your system.

Content saved on non-system drives are inert unless there are changes made to your system partition that would make that content active. With RVS protection on, bad files could be saved to these alternate volumes but because the changes that are needed to make it active are lost at restart, you are not infected beyond left-over (orphaned) files.

We have included a new feature in the 2.0.1 series (currently Beta) called File Protection that allows you to deny access to any file, folder, or partition on non-system drives. Further, this feature can also be used to block access to the entire non-system drive if required.

11. bgoodman4

Nice.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I think this will be a great feature. I do have a couple questions though.

1. Do you intend to make this fairly bulletproof? In other words, would it be possible to block crafty malware or it's remnants from a certain location during a session?

2. Will this feature be easy to turn on and off during a session to save data to keep the window of opportunity for malware to a minimum. Could or would a popup present itself asking if you meant to save the data in this "protected" location and if so, you would need to turn the protection off?

Thanks

13. bgoodman4

If I am not mistaken the 2nd already exists in the current version (paid).
    As to the first is it really conceivable that a fully bullet proof security system exists? Or could? But with every layer of security you add you reduce the opportunity and likelihood.

At least thats my opinion.

14. innerpeace

Hi bgoodman4,

I didn't say fully bullet proof. I said "fairly" bullet proof :). I guess I wanted to know if the "File Protection" feature could be considered a security feature and if so, would it be actively improved if bypassed by malware.

Peter2150 had run into malware about a year or so ago that left remnants on a data partition. This data partition was supposed to be protected by a partition locking program. I should have mentioned this in my post and now you can see my concern. I really need protection for my data partition because of some of the things I do. Otherwise, I'll have to eventually get a program that virtualizes all partitions.

15. bgoodman4

Understood. I don't know if this would be of value to you but my solution regarding highly important files that are changed/modified daily is to use a service called IDrive. Its an off site storage service that you can set to update backup files that are less than 50 meg in size every 10 min (otherwise it will update/backup daily). For $4.95 a month or $49 a year you get 150 gigs of storage and up to 30 versions (you set the limit) of the file will be maintained. The version history does not count toward the 150 gig limit. You can get a fully function free service at IDrive for up to 2 gig. It has works flawlessly for me since I began using it 2 months ago.

There is also another somewhat more expensive service that will not only back your files up off site (if you wish) but also will instantly sync your file folder with a folder on another PC via the Internet or network. I chose IDrive over this 2nd one partly because its more expensive but mainly because you have to have the files that are being watched in a set, single, folder.

The program just came out of Beta and you get 50 gigs for $99 a year. Its called DropBox and you can learn more about it at http://www.getdropbox.com/

Other sync solutions can be found at the following links (these are among programs I looked at when searching for a "highly sensitive" file protection solution).

http://www.peridotec.com/datasync/

http://peccatte.karefil.com/software/Idem/Idemhelpeng.htm

http://web.it.kth.se/~cmasus/

http://www.allsync.biz/backup-software/en_file_synchronization.htm

http://www.goodsync.com.au/goodsync/resources.html

http://www.diginaut.com/shareware/fw/

16. arran

arran Registered Member

Don't forget that you can also setup sandboxie to prevent access to your other partitions.

But yea it would good to have returnil as well for a second security layer. I can't see it possible for any thing being able to get passed both.

17. innerpeace

Thanks for alternative solution bgoodman4. I do backup to an external hard drive although not as often as I should. Most of my info really isn't important, but I do want to keep it clean. I have a feeling Returnil's File Protection will probably be good as they are always preaching about have a separate data partition.

Yep, I do have Sbie blocking access to my data partition, but it's only effective with something running in the sandbox. I hope Returnil can fill that gap. And I agree, it would tough for anything to get through both programs.

18. Purplexity

Hello Coldmoon AKA Mike.

I have a few questions that I'd be greatful if they could be cleared up so I can fully get a grasp on Returnil's settings, and config, I'm trialling the free version.
    I have multiple drives, and as by default on Win XP, C:\ is my System Drive.
    So a Single Drive setup would require the "Partition", but if you have alternative drives, using them is a prefered option, so as not to waste precious System Drive Space I believe ?
    I'm unsure / wondering if this Virtual Drive (Partition) 'Houses' the Mirror, or "Virtual System" RVS creates ?
    From the HELP notes: The Returnil Virtual System 2008 is a powerful virtualization technology that completely mirrors your actual computer setup |
    and it can create a virtual storage disk within your PC where you can save documents, data, and files while using the System Protection feature.
    The reason for asking this is related to the Partition I created during installation. The Virtual Storage Partition, which does not lose data after a ReBoot.
    Makes sense !
    Once the VP file (Virtual Drive) is deleted, any data saved within it will also be deleted.
    Makes sense also !
    So if I unmount, it's still there, just not accessible ? I understand this, like mounting an ISO .

So physically, where is the Mirror of my System whilst Returnil "Protection Status" is ON ?

I presume the complete mirror of My Actual Computer Setup must be held somewhere on my machine?
    Is that virtual storage "Partition" where Returnil houses the "Virtual mirror" of my System ? I understand the virtual storage disk can store files, data, and documents.
    Does it also host this Mirror of my System?
    If not I could use the Disk space, as I have alternate storage, HDD's, USB drives where I can store data off of my C:\ Drive, whilst Returnil is turned on, but being the System Drive, I really don't need a 4 GB unused Virtual hole, if in fact that is what it is ? Systems grow, especially in Windows.

I suspect un checking the box to load the Virtual Partition when Windows starts, is a better option, as I wont use it for storage. I wont be running RVS always, just for specific sessions.Deleting the partition is also a confusing issue. I suspect this option returns the partition back to my C:\ Drive, as usable space, not that it isn't useable, but if RVS is OFF I see no point to having the Virtual Partition active ?

Yes, I have read the Help file, and I still don't have a clear picture of these issues. What are the "Session Lock"
    functions as compared to Turning ON the "Protection Status" ?

Thankyou for your time
    Regards

Purplexity.

19. Coldmoon

Hi Purplexity,

Yes, but I would not say that space on the system partition is the real issue. Keeping the real system stable and clean is the real goal. For the most part there is little need to make "permanent" changes to the system outside of specific maintenance (Microsoft and AV updates, program upgrades, new installations, etc).

No, the VP is just a storage volume in the form of a file with special properites. The cloning is done within the cache (disk or memory depending on which one you are using).

Yes

Yes

In the cache

Take the space back :D

As you have an alternate place to save your files and data, you do not need the VP. If you do not anticipate the need to save any content on the C:\ drive then you might consider using the memory cache mode which would free up the sapce being used by the disk cache. In fact I encourage you to experiment with both modes and see which works best for you and how you use your computer ;)

If you do not need the VP, simply select the "Skip" button during the install. If you already created one but did not need or want it do the following:

1) Open Returnil
    2) Click the "Dismount" link to the right side of the "Virtual Partition" section in the main window and then check My Computer to make sure the VP no longer shows as an optional drive
    3) Navigate to C:\Returnil and delete the RVSYSTEM.img file. This folder is hidden so you will need to activate the "Show hidden files and folders" option in Windows Explorer.

They are essentially the same thing; the only difference is one of persistence. Session Lock is only valid during the current boot session. In plain English this means that it is only valid until you turn your computer off. When you turn the system back on, the protection will be off.

When you change the mode for System Protection to "ON" (as opposed to "OFF" or "Session Lock") you force Returnil to keep the protection active across restarts of your computer. IOW, when you turn the computer off and then back on, Returnil's System Protection will still be active.

20. Purplexity

Thank you Coldmoon, I ask the stupid questions so no one else has to ;)

Seriously , that's excellent, I have picked your brain till I have no further questions. Sorry to have been a pest, but I'd rather ask, than be left wondering !
    Thankyou again,

Regards,

Purplexity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.