Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by maddawgz, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Is the VP locked from diskaccess in every way,cause it can hold some bad stuff obviously.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I would imagine not, at least I see no evidence of this, in fact 99% certain not, but personally I don't see this as a risk for me

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I ask this because VP means Virtual and by way of design should be isolated from the remaining C:\ or am i wrong !?! o_O
    Its a little weird cause VP survives reboot.

4. tradetime

Hmnn.....I am sure I have installed software from the VP, not in the VP mind, but installed a program on my real system that had been saved to the VP and not copied over, this would indicate no isolation....yes....I will have to check to be sure.
    I believe the VP is only technically isolated from the system when Session lock is on, but that is more a function of the session lock than anything else, as you could say when session lock is on everything is isolated from the system.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sure a very exotic kinda Virtual coding,maybe should THE Solution because data survived the reboot ,and at the same time is virtual in Sessionlock !! For me its a mistery how this is possible.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If the virtual partition is mounted it isn't isolated from the system either with or with session lock. It becomes another disk. So yes you could download and put something there, reboot, and then install it from there. Same thing if you had a second disk.

Pete

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I always thought so but then the naming is disturbing,VIRTUAL means something different as to how it works. Then you can easily say every location other then C:\ is by definition in Returnil language VIRTUAL. So the use of this term is somewhat misleading,nothing to do with real virtualisation .

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Perhaps Vista didnt like the VP , wait to sp1 comes, ok i see session lock thanks :rolleyes:

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Virtual because it's not a real partition. It's just a file named RVSYSTEM.IMG located in the C:\Returnil folder. The file is now hidden in the new Returnil version so you would have to enable show hidden files/folders. When the VP is mounted, you can move files back and forth at will. It's just like a real partition in that respect. It will also be visible when you access My Computer. You can also take the VP with you and use on other computers with Returnil installed.

From the help file:

10. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Think of the virtual drive as any other drive, whether it's a separate partition on your main drive, a second or third hard disk, USB drive, thumb drive or whatever. As long as it's not your root drive "C", it s not a part of the Returnal protection. Just as any other drive, other than the protected drive "C" survives the reboot without loss of changes, then the virtual drive from Returnal would survive.

The virtual drive Returnal provides is nothing new. Virtual drives creators can be downloaded from freeware sites, or can be mounted within some encryption packages. Returnil's virual drive is not an essential, but is only a gift of convenience.

11. fce

fce Registered Member

i'm using Returnil 1.7 but everytime i restart my computer to erase Kernel_Power error in Event Viewer it doesn't erase the Kernel Power error.

but when i'm using Rollback Rx (Semi Freeze System) restore to previous/latest snapshot during restart....Kernel Power error in Event Viewer is gone.

does it mean that Semi Freeze system of Rollback Rx is better than Returnil?

12. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Not sure if I should post this here (as the thread name is merely Returnil) or if I should start a new thread (Mods feel free to move it if needed).

I am having an issue with Returnil:

I have two computers which are both running XP home SP2. I am running the latest version of Returnil on both of them. I just noticed a problem tonight with Returnil on one of them.

On my laptop I can copy files from my C drive to the virtual partition or I can save downloaded files directly from the internet into the virtual partition. On my desktop I can copy files from my C drive into the virtual partition but I cannot save downloaded files directly from the internet and into the virtual partition. If I try to do so this is what I see:

I am under an administrative account on both systems and I have already tried uninstalling Returnil on the desktop system and then reinstalling it. I still get the same result. I never noticed this problem on the desktop system before tonight but I don't think I ever had to download anything directly into the VP on it before this either.

I was hoping Coldmoon or a Wilders member wiser than myself could shed some light into what is wrong with the program, the computer, or me. o_O

Attached Files:

13. Firebytes

Oops, accidentally placed the attached image at the bottom of my last post instead of under "If I try to do so this is what I see:" but you get the idea, right? :D

14. tradetime

could perhaps, you be using a download manager on one (the problem computer) and not the other? Just a thought to fill the time.

15. Firebytes

No download managers on either computer. Actually both computers are basically set up the same with a few exceptions. The desktop has Cyberhawk installed and the laptop doesn't and the laptop has a Nvidia video card and the desktop has a built in card. There may be other small differences but I have mostly the same programs running on each.

Also, when I installed Returnil on both systems I made sure I disabled other running programs (antivirus, firewall, etc) when I did the installations.

This really has me puzzled because my accounts on both computers are administrator accounts and yet I can save on the one and not the other.

I will be gone until Wednesday morning but I look forward to coming back and having the answer to my problems waiting on me. ;)

16. Firebytes

I was thinking and the only real differences I can think of between the two computers is that the laptop has a SATA drive and the desktop doesn't. Also, I had to do a repair install of Windows on the desktop not to long ago but it was done before I ever installed Returnil.

Have a good day all.

17. Peter2150

Have you tried turning off Cyberhawk. It may be protecting something.

18. Firebytes

OK, I am at work now but I wanted to take a second to let everyone know not to waste any more time trying to help me on this problem. I was thinking and I believe I figured out the problem. It basically boils down to this...I am an idiot.

I didn't even think of this because I have had it for so long but the browser I use on that computer is run under DropMyRights. I am almost 100% sure that is the problem. I do not use DropMyRights on the laptop. Since the browser has reduced rights I can't save to the virtual partition because that requires admin rights.

I will test it when I get home Wednesday and if that doesn't work I will try what Peter suggested.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my stupidity.:oops:

19. fce

fce Registered Member

does returnil save all download file "automatically" to Virual Partition (Z)?

mine is not or i dont see any file in my virtual partition whenever i download a file from internet.

20. Peter2150

No. System does what it normally does, If you want the download saved you either change download location or move it.

21. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Firebytes,
    This is exactly the reason for the permissions error. Limited users do not have write access to the root of the VP. To work with this without issue in the future, simply create a folder in the VP and then save the files in this folder.

Mike

22. Firebytes

OK, I tried saving in the VP while not using a browser under DropMyRights and it worked fine. I then created a folder in the VP and was able to save into it even with my browser running under DropMyRights just as Coldmoon said.

So once again it was just my own ignorance that was causing the problem. I guess if I knew everything I wouldn't need to come to this forum though, huh. :D

Thanks for taking the time to respond Coldmoon. The quick support here for Returnil is one of the reasons I like it so much.

Thanks again to everyone else who responded as well.

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just rebooted with Returnil protection on and received a message saying can not
    create win.ini Problem seemes to be related to a program called Speed Startup
    http://www.regvac.com/speedstartup.htm I rebooted and the problem was gone.

My only interest was to know how this is possible if returnil is returning a system state to a previous state ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.