Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by biatche, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

If you're not satisfied with Returnil you don't have to use it ErikAlbert. And just because a great software development originates in a country of a different tongue/language, pitting one app against another for that purpose is not what developers of Returnil had in mind i'm sure, but rather to offer the general users/business another more unique approach to this fine virtualization method.

I can't help but get the feeling you're reaching for difference only to feed some prejudice that this app does what that other app can't do mentality.

Returnil or any other app of this nature for that matter will always feature DIFFERENT methods then other similar types designed to be useful for security and protecting data/system and not for competition purposes as you elude to. That only incites needless nitpicking which always leads to useless arguement away from the real benefits all users need to learn of between similar products.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but I'm getting 2 Returnil errors when I ask Perfect Disk for an offline defrag - apon reboot, returnil error 149011 and 189037, then it will defrag the system files in a black screen.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I can confirm this behavior on my system. RVS protection is OFF. System is XP Pro, latest version of PD. I haven't noted any after effects.

Blue

4. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I think it can be too easy to focus on the minor inconveniences of using an appliance like Returnil. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. The big picture is what we need to focus on and this includes superb protection, stability and a GUI that couldn't be simpler.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I couldn't agree more.

@BOTH BlueZannetti & Meriadoc

Thank you both for bringing that up. I'm sure Coldmoon will address that concern with his reply soon.

Since i use UD i not noticed the same so hopefully it's something specific to PD that can be easily ironed out for you guys.

Returnil is a nice change from the norm so far and just think, this is only it's very first release so we are sure to find more features upcoming.

6. BlueZannetti

On the other hand, as I have to tell people I work with on occasion, I can only fix the problems that I know about. If I don't know about it, I can't fix it.

At this point, I don't see any untoward results and perhaps it is simply operational messages, and not really errors, reflecting certain system states that allows PD to perform it's defrag function. In any event, if it occurs, the question will pop up at some point and earlier is usually better.

Blue

7. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

The PD defragging issue seems to be related to the VP.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Try again with the Virtual Partition dismounted. I suspect that is the issue.

Pete

9. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

I can also confirm this bug.. I just did an offline defrag and got a BLUE scren with 2 ERRORS before the defrag starts..
    Did these error did any harm to my computer? hmm
    I have no VP partitions.. and RVS Protection is OFF.. So by right, RVS should not be activated at all yet it causes the erroR? hm

10. WindBlade

Just to help debugging, below is the PD bootlog...
    DefragFs: NT Version: Major=0x5, Minor=0x1, Build=0xa28, CSD=Service Pack 2 (free).
    DefragFs: BOOT start. Date: 6/24/2007, Time: 16:29:50.343 GMT.
    DefragFs: Received Illegal Open, failing with error 0xc00000a2.
    Name: '\RETURNIL\RVSYSTEM.DAT'.
    DesiredAccess: 0x12019f.
    Disposition: 0x1.
    Options: 0x28.
    Origin is system process -- probably ExWorkerItem
    PDBoot: Pagefile Id = 27
    PDBoot: Boot-time defrag status: Completed
    PDBoot: Calling: NtShutdownSystem
    DefragFs: NT Version: Major=0x5, Minor=0x1, Build=0xa28, CSD=Service Pack 2 (free).
    DefragFs: BOOT start. Date: 6/24/2007, Time: 16:31:03.359 GMT.

11. BlueZannetti

Yes and no. Windblade's log points to that potential direction, but performing the challenge again with the VP dismounted and set not to mount on reboot yields no change in behavior/error messages, and no ill effects either...

Blue

12. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yes virtual partition dismounted and set not to mount on reboot - same result here also.

13. WindBlade

Hopefully Coldmoon can enlighten us on the cause of this error and what harm, if any, it caused.. :)

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

This also happened to me today after a defrag.
    I uninstalled RVS, reinstalled and the errors disappeared.

Maybe the problem is with moving the virtual partion.

I have turned off my schedueled defrag now anyways as i should no longer need to if there are no changes being made to my c drive.

15. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I tried the off line defrag and had the same error messages and I didn't set up the VP. Like everyone else the defram seems to have worked fine.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just tried it and I also got the error messages. As I recall when I tried it with the business edition beta this didn't occur.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Earth to Coldmoon, calling Coldmoon, we have an S.O.S. here. Please assist as soon as able.

Thank You

18. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Sorry for the ignorance but... does Returnil protect other partions besides system partition like PS Full Shadow? I'm getting confused

19. osip

osip Registered Member

only system partition...

20. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If Returnil protected all partitions, then you couldn't save data to your alternative partition or the VP right? I don't see this as a disadvantage as I have no data partition, or external devices to save to. I have to use the VP do to my current limited knowledge, but after 1 night of use, I do see the value in having a data only partition.

The VP is working great here and I was able to save 75.2MB of streaming music to the VP. I thought that might make a good test. I've been able to move files at will to and from the VP.

I also have been wondering about how and when to defrag with returnil and the VP. I did a defrag before I installed though.

For what it's worth and against all common sense. I did install RVS with PS 2.8.2 still installed. I haven't used their protection together and don't plan to. I just thought I would add my name to the list of those that have both installed. I also won't recommend it either do to the possible risks :p

edit: Easter, I haven't noticed any slowdown at bootup or shutdown.

21. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

i just started trying out retunil and i have avira security suite installed how will avira update?

22. innerpeace

Hi hyatt, with protection off you can do your updates. You can always enable protection after updates with session lock. This is what I do, I update my security software, then enable session lock which is the protection mode. After you enable protection, nothing is saved unless you save it to another partition other than your c: drive where windows is installed. You can also change the default save directory of avira updates, but that could be a pain and may not work.

Also, while in protection mode, if your using automatic updates for avira and don't change the default save location of the updates, it will continue to update, but the newest updates won't 'stick' after the reboot. You will be protected by the latest updates, but after you turn protection off, you will have to update it again for the changes to be permanent. Did that make sense?

23. hyatt69

makes perfect sense,can i change the update directory to the vitual drive(returnil)and if so do you have any idea how i do that?

to turn off protection i must reboot first right or am i missing a setting in returnil?

24. innerpeace

Someone else would have to help with that. I'm not sure it is possible either.

If your protection is currently on, you have to reboot to turn it off. The little backwards R icon in the tray is green when protection is off and red if it is on. You can also mouse-over the icon and it will tell you the status and if you click the S on the toolbar will give you the status.

edit: spelling

25. hyatt69

ok thanks innerpeace appreciate the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.