Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by biatche, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackDinn

JackDinn Registered Member

i was looking for this update/beta release yesterday but 4 some reason could only find the business edition, so many thx for the link.
    i will not know if my prob is solved just yet as its one of those intermittent faults (as i have noticed yesterday that RVS generates my fault on other occasions as well as when using uTorrent)

i will b sure to let you know asap
    many thx 4 the help
    Greg.

2. JackDinn

JackDinn Registered Member

Good news,

I updated the RVS to 1.7.0.6160 and low and behold it cured the problem.
    So many thx for the pointer in the right direction.
    Also thx for your response to my comment about having sent you a message through your web site which dident seem to have got to you. i was very pleased with your private response even though i had not asked or expected one,
    so excellent tech help, best i`v encountered.
    Thx to all the team :)
    Greg.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

1.7.0.6160 shows no errors now when I do an offline defrag but the reboot at the end of the defrag still does not work - I have to wait for the timer to run out. The funny thing is that my wife has no problems at all with off line defrag on her machine.

4. Long View

Playing around with Ultimate Defrag and Perfect disk I removed them and did a defrag with the basic windows defrag program. I then turned on system protection and forgot all about it. Today I noticed that my machine seemed to be running much better then previously. Could just be a co-incidence but I'm not sure that I want to re-install any 3rd party defrag. I wonder if in combination with Returnil the built in defrag might actually be best ?

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I doubt the 3rd party defrag has anything to do with it. Could it be the running in virtual with Retunil has lightened the load?

6. Long View

I don't use the virtual partition - never have done. Have been using Returnil for
    a few weeks and before that Deepfreeze 6. Setting up the system the way I want it, reg cleaning etc and then defraging and freezing has helped improve speed on this old machine (P4, 2.4 512 ram - 75 gig IDE HD). I removed all real time protections 7 months ago and that really help speed things up.

As I said it may just be a co-incidence ?

7. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Been testing the beta version in a virtual machine:

Have some questions

a.) I have a laptop with the Dell Diagnostic partition so that means
    windows is booting from partition (1).

Will Returnil not work or has this been addressed ?

b.) Have had a few (black screen startups) after which lost all settings in
    Returnil and had to reconfigure and restart the Protection.

Is this a common problem or is it because of the virtual machine ?

c.) I would not need the virtual partition because I have a (D) drive configured for data and storage.

Does the virtual partition serve any other purpose other than a place for data to survive a reboot ?

Thanks !

rrrh1(arch1)

edit: spellcheck missed an error

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello rrrh1,

a) "Will Returnil not work or has this been addressed?"

Returnil will function as expected with this configuration

b) "Is this a common problem or is it because of the virtual machine?"

This question needs some clarification before we can provide an answer other than to say that the Virtual Partition feature and the System Protection feature are different and separate in the software (IOW - Protection and VP features do not conflict or overlap). Are you reporting causality or effect? What might be of more use here is to describe the Black screen and when it happens.

1) Does it happen at every reboot?
    2) Is RVS Protection ON or OFF when this happens?
    3) When does the Black Screen happen? Is it immediately following startup or do you see the startup splash screen and then a Black Screen?
    4) Is your system free of spyware and malware? **It is important to make sure your system is clean prior to using/installing RVS for example...
    5) Have you recently updated or upgraded a video driver on this system?

c) "Does the virtual partition serve any other purpose other than a place for data to survive a reboot?"

No, The VP is included and was designed as a convenience for those who have only one partition to save data when using the System Protection/Session Lock feature. It is also transportable provided you have sufficient storage/transfer media or use a smaller VP size for this purpose.

Mike

9. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

I am currently testing the software in a vmware virtual machine.

1) Does it happen at every reboot?

No

2) Is RVS Protection ON or OFF when this happens?

ON

3) When does the Black Screen happen? Is it immediately following startup or do you see the startup splash screen and then a Black Screen?

Immediately on startup Windows wants to start in safe mode.

4) Is your system free of spyware and malware? **It is important to make sure your system is clean prior to using/installing RVS for example...

It was installed to a test installation within vmware which only has AVG antivirus installed. ( clean as far as I know ) It gets rolled back at the end of each testing session ( between software tests ). Has not been rolled back as I am still evaluating Returnil.

5) Have you recently updated or upgraded a video driver on this system?

No

Thanks !

rrrh1(arch1)

10. Coldmoon

Hi rrrh1,
    Sorry for the late reply. Please check for the existence of the following file when you boot into your VMWare image:

c:\windows\bootstat.dat

Thanks
    Mike

11. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Not much info in bootstat.dat

The file c:\windows\bootstat.dat does exist and all that was in it was error
    about printing and faxing and a related *.chm files.

I think this came about when I tried to print with the printer turned off...

The problem has not reoccurred for about 4 boot cycles, could the info have been overwritten ?

I will post here when it happens again...

rrrh1(arch1)

12. trooper11

trooper11 Registered Member

I have a question about this program. I downloaded it but noticed that it woudl only protect one drive, but I have 2 that I need protected. Does ReturnIL allow for applying the program to multiple drives? Thanks

13. Coldmoon

Hello trooper11,
    RVS will protect the current System Partition it is installed on but does not protect alternate partitions. If your system is dual-boot (more than one OS), then it needs to be installed within each OS seperately.

We are however nearing a new public Beta release for a new product that addresses secure/private data storage on alternate partitions - hopefully this week if all goes well...

Mike

14. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

It's good to know that these "extra" features are being put into a different product. This way Returnil stays bloat-free. :)

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

1.6.2.4117 business version on a system with SATA drives - the protected partition is C - this is the os partition. But it is listed as drive 3.

when I engage the protection - files can be added or deleted - ie the protection does not work at all.

Any fixes?

16. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Yup, you need 1.7.0.6160!

17. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'try that later

18. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

As before, I hope you will be announcing it here, as you did with Returnil.

Thanks.

19. Coldmoon

Hi kennyboy,
    Yes we will announce it here :)

20. True Orient

True Orient Registered Member

Really now! I always thought that the need to reboot was a Windows issue rather than an application limitation?

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It is, but some applications need to reboot, and some don't.

22. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Registered Member

I only have 256 megs of Ram. Since the hard drive is cloned in memory, how effective would I be able to use Returnil?

23. Coldmoon

Hi Gargoyle,
    The total amount of RAM is less important than your use of the available RAM. If your system is functioning on the extreme of its capabilities, then you should upgrade your RAM for better overall performance.

With Returnil however, you can use this as a loose "rule of thumb":

If Windows can, so can RVS. The only thing to remember is that overall performance is always better with more RAM - even if we are only talking about your OS performance..

Mike

Edit: Spelling

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Coldmoon

Small inquiry. Since one of the benefits of Retunil is to spare disk excess usage from wear & tear on virtualization, what about, if any extra load would a Memory Only program like Returnil place from repeated useage?

Thanks and feel free to go into technical details of the geometry of it if needed to make that distinction plain for all of us to better understand.

Thanks

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, don't stir up that silly debate. If you stop and think about it if the disk is constantly in one small area of the disk, there is probably less wear and tear. Heads aren't moving as much. What else is there, as the heads don't ride the disk, but float above it.

Cheers,

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.