Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by biatche, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

it created a folder in the vp itself called avira security suite

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Ultimate Boot Disk doesn't present this sort of action for me. Is PD doing something awkward that others don't?

So far so very good here. Thanks for the Virtual Drive feature, it's instant either on or off, pretty cool really.

I been using PARAGON'S Virtual CD ROM EMULATOR to make virtual drives before but i understand VP for Returnil is to help users SAVE data to it for later use when needed.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    As suspected, the install is to the Root of the VP which is read only for Limited users. Try the following:

1) Log into an admin account and then create a new folder.
    2) Install the AV into this folder rather than in the root of the VP as you have now

Mike

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, that makes sense. THanks.

5. hyatt69

when you say root what do you mean?theres nothing at all on the vp except the folder i created i am signed in with adm. account.

6. Coldmoon

Sorry for the confusion. To understand this in a practical sense, the root is where you have the folder now. If you log into an administrator account, you can save documents, files, etc in Z:\something.doc for example. You can read and write to this file, delete it, etc.

In a limited account you cannot save information in the same way, rather you would need to create a folder in Z:\SomeFolder\something.doc.

This is what I suspect is causing the Tray Icon not to appear because in a limited account, you only have read access to the file in the first example.

So make a new folder in the root (called Antivirus?) and then install Avira within this folder. This will now have the following path:

Z:\Antivirus\avira security suite

Please let me know if this helps

Mike

7. Someguy

Someguy Registered Member

I am currently using 3 separate partitions for WinXP system, applications and data.
    How would I use Returnil to test software with my setup?
    I would have to remove the installed parts on the "application" patition by hand, right?

How can you use Returnil as a security tool then when using multiple partitions?
    As any tool you install can make any changes it wants on the unprotected partitions, f.ex. modify executables etc.?

Thanks all.

8. Coldmoon

Hi Someguy,
    There is more information in this thread where this was discussed, so would point you towards the earlier pages. If the program did not require a reboot to complete the install, then the installation changes to the System Partition will be lost with a reboot, including changes to the registry that would point towards the content placed in the alternate partition. This content can then be deleted without issues (yes by "hand")

If you are looking for a complete testing environment, I would suggest VMWare (personal opinion - YMMV).

HTH
    Mike

9. hyatt69

no it doesnt work i think avira needs to be on windows partition for loading of services and drivers

10. osip

osip Registered Member

I don´t get the idea behind a separate partition for applications...Applications will always be related to the system partition.You will miss returnil´s potential completely...Change all your apps to portable ones...LoL

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon, I want to ask a Q about its licence. It says free for a single home PC. Does it mean that if I have two PCS, I can use it free only on one PC, not on both?

Thanks

12. Coldmoon

Hi aigle,
    No, if you have multiple home systems, you can install RVS on each one. If the systems or any one of the systems is being used for commercial purposes or used for your work, then it requires licensing of the Business edition.

13. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Any updates on the PerfectDisk error? Next beta version or anything? :)

14. Coldmoon

Yes, we have a new version that we want to test that addresses these issues. I sent you a PM about it and to everyone else who experienced this issue and wants a copy to try, please send me a PM and I will reply with the download link.

Please reply in the thread for results and feedback

Thanks
    Mike

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks coldmoon.

16. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Hi!
    I can confirm that the lastest "Beta" did NOT solve the problem..
    If any, the blue screen which displayed the error "149011" and "189037" is shown on the screen for a LONGER period of time..

Also, the PD Defragmentation screen is sort of corrupted..
    The status of the defragmentation by right should be shown in 1 line which updates continuously.. Instead, it is now shown on multiple lines.. In other words, it should be:

Defragmentation Completion [40%] <-- this line updates continuously..

With RVS installed, it becomes

Defragmentation Completion [40%]
    Defragmentation Completion [45%]
    Defragmentation Completion [48%]
    Defragmentation Completion [53%]
    and so on.......

Wonder why..
    I have excluded the RETURNIL directory and do NOT have any Virtual Partitions..

17. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I am trialing Returnil. I installed it with Admin rights, rebooted, turned protection ON with Session Lock. Tray icon turned red, and status button on the toolbar reported that system partition is protected from changes. I started a new instance of Total Commander, and started to do some damage. Deleted boot.ini, ntldr, Internet Explorer, changed desktop settings & firefox homepage. All of these are supposed to be not affecting the actual hard disk contents. I rebooted, but windows was unable to boot. After booting from rescue media, I observed that all my changes were actually done on the hard disk, as if I didn't have Returnil. So I restored the disk image from backup.
    Is this some kind of compatibility problem? I have WinXP sp2, Nod32, CounterSpy, and no other security soft.
    I strongly think that Returnil should somehow check that protection is actually loaded, with something like creating a dummy test file on the system drive, and NOT report active protection when it fails to load!
    What can I do to further investigate the problem?

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Definitely not normal behavior. Mike should be along to answer you.

19. Coldmoon

Hello hojtsy,
    Can you please detail the steps you went through? Please put detail emphasis on the reboot and what rescue media you used - thanks and we will investigate this as soon as possible..

Mike

20. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I installed Returnil 1.6.2.4107 with deafult settings. I skipped virtual partition creation. Rebooted as requested by the installer. Tray icon reported that protection is OFF. I closed every visible application. I opened main window, clicked Session Lock, tray icon reported that protection is ON. I started Total Commander, did some changes to system partition. Rebooted through Start button. Windows rejected to boot. I booted into Paragon Backup Capsule which is a hidden other primary partition on the same hard disk. I used the Paragon software on Backup Capsule to check contents of my system partition and observed that all changes was actually done to hard disk.
    I restored a previously created disk image.

I retried the whole experiment from the installation, reboot, session lock, modification and reboot. This time I only did some innocent changes so reboot was possible into the system partition. I found again that my changes during Returnil "protection" was permanent and present after reboot.

Edit: I also tried after removing the extra partition used by Backup Capsule, but I experienced the same: no protection provided.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  21. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just downloaded, for the first time, the free home version and followed your instructions. 2 errors reported but defrag completed ok.

22. Coldmoon

hojtsy,
    How many partitions do you have and how are they structured? Also please perform the following test:

1) Create a test file and then turn RVS Protection ON (default or Session Lock is equivalent).
    2) Save a copy of this file in each partition
    3) Reboot

Please let us know which partition lost its copy of the file after reboot.

Thanks
    Mike

23. Coldmoon

Ok, thanks for the report and has been noted by development...

Mike

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Has anyone used Returnil with Acronis and or FD-ISR ? I can't see Acronis being a problem - to make a full image of C: with Returnil installed but would it be better to have protection turned off when making an image or doesn't it matter ?

I still Like FR-ISR but the frozen image is less than Ideal ( takes up disk space and is too slow) Hopefully Returnil on a snap shot will also give better defrag results ?

Only other thought so far - As I use several physical drives and partitions it seems better to run without the virtual partition - or am I missing something ?

25. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

P-ATA hard drive connected to motherboard:
    - C: active primary partition NTFS, used as system partition
    - D: extended partition NTFS
    S-ATA hard drive connected to a PCI card:
    - F: primary partition NTFS, storing only data

The experiment shows that my F: drive is protected. It reverts any changes on that partition. But my OS files are all on C:. I looked around in device properies and strangly F: is \Device\HarddiskVolume1, C: is \Device\HarddiskVolume2, and D: is \Device\HarddiskVolume4. Maybe that is what mislead Returnil. I don't know how devices get numbered, or what could I do to change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.