Returnil & Disc Imaging

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Firebytes, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have read where people screwed up their computer by defragging their hard drive with Returnil's protection active, either due to the fact that they didn't know any better or they forgot Returnil was active when they defragged.

So I was curious, what (if any) effect would having Returnil active when you did a disc image be? Say you had Returnil active and didn't think about it when you imaged, would the image restore normally or would there be problems?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Firebytes,
    There shouldn't be any issues as long as the image is stored on a non-system partition. If you want to test this however, create one without RVS virtualization on and a second to do the actual test. If the second has any issues (let us know...), you can quickly revert to the one with RVS off.

Thanks
    Mike

3. Firebytes

Coldmoon,

I appreciate the information. I myself have just recently began learning imaging apps. I have made some images but have not yet attempted any restores. Maybe someone else with more experience with imaging apps will want to test it.

Thanks again

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The only thing I would suggest is that you remove or move the Virtual Partition (2x) or Virtual Disk (3x) to an alternate partition or drive that will not be imaged. It is a large, and often empty file that tends to make your images large as well.

Other than this, you should be good to go.

Mike

5. Firebytes

OK, thanks a bunch Coldmoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.