Returnil Commander - Client Tagging.

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Pelaez, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelaez

Pelaez Registered Member

Hello.

I have just been learning how to properly use Commander to manage my clients. I have found there is a user manual but I cannot seem to find where can I "tag" my clients for better identification. Is this possible? I don't always recognize the long strings they have as a name.

Thanks in advance.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Pelaez and welcome to the forums :)

The TAGS option has been discontinued primarily due to its lack of popularity with those using the RC console. This was then replaced with the Multi-edit option combined with search.

The first is to search for specific clients based on a common property. The most common would be via internal (Ref: sub network in a department) or external (ref: regional offices separated by geography) network IP. You can also search for common computer names:

Ex:

1. Clients at location or department "X" have a common name structure like sales1, sales2, etc
    2. Open the Clients tab and then search based on "Host name". In this example, the common part of the computer name would be "sales" which will result in a list of clients with similar names based on that search string.

Note: The search can also be done using version of Windows OS, country, and native language as additional options in networks with mixed Windows versions, offices in different countries, and user languages.

3. Once you have the sub list of clients in the client tab, you can then use the Multi-edit button to manage the sub-set selected.

Mike

3. Pelaez

Pelaez Registered Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the clear answer Mike.

However I have another doubt right now. I have been messing around and experimenting with the RC console and one of my clients. Due to an internet connection error, at one point I asked for a remote control action (a restart of the computer) and failed. Now every time that client goes online I get the same error message over and over again.

I have tried to "delete" this action on the RC console going to the remote control tab and clicking on the request ID but I get a message error every time saying "Unexpected error, please try again". I think I just want to cancel and delete all of the requests made to that client from the console and from the message center on that specific client. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Thanks again!

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Shoot us a support request to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with:

1. The Installation ID (client)
    2. The License Number
    3. The rvs3.log file in C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\Log
    4. The exact text of the error you get when you "...asked for a remote control action (a restart of the computer) and failed. Now every time that client goes online I get the same error message over and over again."

I will have the server lead investigate the server logs to see what is happening.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.