Returnil & Ayrecovery

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by karad, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

I'd like to try Ayrecovery in a pc where I usually run Returnil premium in RAM fashion.
    I guess there might be no conflict using them both...perhaps...but I fear Returnil might interfere with ayrecovery writing in the MBR, or first sector..
    Am i wrong?
    Better to uninstall one if trying the other?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi karad,
    No, you are not wrong, but this would only effect those writes attempted while RVS protection was on (mode = on or Session Lock). How often does AYR need to write to the MBR during normal use?

3. karad

karad Registered Member

Thank you for replying Coldmoon.
    I have Ayrecovery-trial for one year- installed in one test computer I only use sporadically which I deprived of Returnil free, so I cannot really tell if and when ayrecovery needs to write to the MBR.
    My question stemmed from the fact I wanted to move Ayrecovery to a new computer which already runs Returnil Premium, which I knew blocks any writing in the MBR when on.
    I guess Ayrecovery needs to write the MBR only if new snapshots are taken or there's a change.....practically quite often, but perhaps one could refrain from making any change with Ayrecovery while in Returnil active mode and that would open the avenue to a possible coexistence?
    Just to be sure I will install again Returnil free in that test computer and report back,just a day or two.
    Problem is Returnil free is not Premium in MBR affairs....

4. karad

karad Registered Member

In order to make the test more apt I downloaded Returnil Premium trial version , installed and used it in all possible manners,including standby with Returnil on,installing and deleting, and it worked flawlessly with Ayrecovery,apart from one very important fact:
    I made a snapshot while Returnil was on,active, and it survived Returnil reboots.
    I infer Ayrecovery prevents Returnil (in RAM fashion) from taking over certain areas belonging exclusively to that program.

Perhaps this fact does not prevent Returnil from taking care of business,perhaps it does,Coldmoon docet.

If anyone thinks such a combination (Ayr+Ret) has some validity or use, I'll try with the disk mode in Returnil, otherwise I will for the future use one or the other.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Ayrecovery sounds a bit like FD-ISR, I have used this alongside Returnil for quite some time now, likely two years with no problems, I do not tend to make snapshots, or archives etc whilst in Returnils proteccted mode however.

6. karad

karad Registered Member

Yes tradetime Ayrecovery I think is very much like EAZFIX and ,consequently, FD-ISR, at least in principle.
    I only took a snapshot in Returnil protected mode just for experimenting sake, as I was trying to understand how and when Ay could write to MBR or somehow interfere with R doings.
    The fact Ayrecovery could save the snapshot means it is preheminent in governing disk, as it should be I guess,as these progs have to take care not only of boot,but also of recovery in emergency.
    On the other hand Returnil,too,did what was expected (by me),since the sessions were taken care of and they vanished at reboot....

Did you use Returnil with the disk or RAM option alongside FD-ISR?

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Was using it with the RAM caching, the only thing I would say, as I am unfamiliar with Ayrecovery is that FD-ISR does not alter the MBR. so there should be no issue there, it would i imagine just be a case that Returnil would remove all changes made to anything on the partition in its protected mode, I would however imagine you could write to an archive on a partition that was not protected by Returnil while it was on. as for example I have used other simple copy software such as Karen's Replicator whilst in a Returnil session lock to copy to a partition that Returnil was not protecting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.