Returnil and my work. What happens.

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by AaLF, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I understand VM ware and how by operating in a VM a reboot will return all to the original state. But what about programs I download and MS Office & Photoshop etc.

What's happens to my work while Returnil is running?

Does it work like Sandboxie with designated folders for recovery?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

RSS/RVS and SBIE are actually compatible and work well together because they are very different types of virtualization. SBIE works at the application layer while RSS/RVS work at the disk level so they complement one another very well.

For the other questions, you have different options with RSS/RVS:

1. File Manager (paid versions): As opposed to traditional boot-to-restore solutions, our products make use of a more secure method for saving content to the real disk while in Virtual Mode (aka shadow mode or ISR). You define the files and folders (sub folders included) whose content you want saved to the real disk and then set the autosave option to an appropriate interval from 1 min - 24 hours.

This content is more secure because it is protected under the virtualization until the moment the content is to be saved to the real disk. While being saved to the real disk, the content is locked from changes by being loaded into Windows, and then is returned immediately to a secure status under the virtualization. In traditional ISR, exclusions are normally used that removes selected files and folders from the virtual protection thus making that content more susceptible to infection or exploitation.

2. Installation and testing of programs: Only mobile applications can be installed in Virtual Mode for evaluation. Anything that installs a service or drivers (I.E., requires a restart to install) would fail as the content would be lost at restart of the computer.

3. Backups, imaging, and MS/Windows Updates: The Virtual Mode protection must be deactivated to perform these activities.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.