Returnil, Am I thick or what?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by screamer, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I want the system to boot into protection mode. I want to be able to turn off protection mode at will (In order to make changes)

I seem to be stuck in a protection mode loop again:
    1) system boots into protection mode
    2) I invoke GUI and click |Change Protection Mode|
    3) screen pop up which has |Turn Protection Mode On| turn protection mode off is greyed out
    4) I click |Turn Protection Mode On| |OK|
    5) I need to click |Change Protection Mode| again
    6) screen pops up which has |Turn Protection Mode Off|
    7) I click |OK|
    :cool: Get the pop-up which say I need to re-boot for changes to take effect, I do and I'm back in Protection Mode.

...screamer

Attached Files:

2. screamer

See in the User Manual:

System Protection Mode:
    1) Turning System Protection On:
    2) Turning System Protection Off:

Both use the same image:

Turn System Protection Mode On

Shouldn't the image for 1) |Turning System Protection Mode On| have an image that states |Turn System Protection Off|? and (turn protection on) be greyed out?

I'm really confused here??

...screamer

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Ok am with what you want now :)
    However from your first screen you should not be in protection from boot. If you look it says "System Protection is currently ON. It will be OFF after you restart your computer.

So given what you want, you clicked "Change Protection Mode" and get the popup box which offers you the ability to "Turn the protection Feature ON" this is correct since this setting refers only to how the program behaves at boot. Since what you want is to have it on at boot you would select "Turn Protection ON" and click ok, job done.
    Now when your system reboots you will be in protection.
    Don't know why you would want to do this here? You are protected right now, you have just set the program to boot into protection so why would you be changing so soon?
    Yes if you were to do this, what you see is correct.
    Ok assuming you checked the "Turn Protection mode OFF" and clicked the ok button, and then clicked the ok button at the prompt you should boot out of protection.
    I will test my version now, although it is an older build.
    I do notice if you look back to Coldmoon's post he asked if sheduling was inactive and you said yes. I see from your screens sheduling is active, you might want to try disabling that and see how you get on.

4. tradetime

Ok here we go, I will update this post as I go as I will be rebooting along the way so keep an eye on the post.
    The first screen is my preferred MO my system does not boot into protection at start I display the GUI just to show info on the program, you can see the icon is green and the system is unprotected, I would normally rt click the icon and select "Sessin Lock" as shown in the screen, this will lock the session only as you can see in the second screen from the GUI "System protection is currently ON It will be OFF after you restart your computer, and it is, no need to show that.

Ok to achieve what you want, that is to boot into protection mode I have to select "Change Protection Mode" from the GUI , just as you did. I check the "Turn Protection Mode ON" since it is the only one available and click ok. There is no further confirmation, now when I reboot protection will be automatically on at reboot ......and every other reboot until I change protection mode.

Attached Files:

• R1.PNG
      R1.PNG
      File size:
      111.4 KB
      Views:
    • R2.PNG
      R2.PNG
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
    • R3.PNG
      R3.PNG
      File size:
      118.4 KB
      Views:
  5. screamer

Well I was able to turn off protection.

I needed to: Change Protection Mode, click, Turn Protection Mode On, re-boot, click, Change Protection Mode, click, Turn Protection Mode Off, re-boot.

After that box started w/ Protection Mode Off.
    BTW: this was w/ scheduler off. I'll try it w/ scheduler on. The scheduler is the reason for using Returnil in the first place. I want to allow scans and Windows updates.

This seems like an odd way for an app to be worked. Having to re-boot twice??

...screamer

Edit: Well now the above method doesn't work any longer. I'm stuck in Protection Mode again

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

screamer,

Are you using a product on this machine that may inhibit the execution of changes required to bounce between protected and unprotected modes? Say, SSM for example?

Blue

7. screamer

No BlueZannetti, the only apps on this box are:

Firefox, MS Office, XP Anti-Spy
    Tune-Up 2007, Comodo PFW
    Avira, Xplorer2, Foxit, GOM
    K9 Web Protection, JK DeFrag
    Revo un-installer, Tweak UI

The main reason for wanting this app was to allow updates and scans -un-attended. Otherwise I would opt for SD and pay for the app. At this point free is not an issue. I just want something that works as I'd like: Prevent All changes, allow saving Docs & Firefox profile, allow updates & scans.

geez, this is getting frustrating

...screamer

edit: ya know what, I'm gonna un-install and buy SD. The only drawback is up-dates. I only need to scan the D: data partition. This is getting too frustrating. I'm getting a headache

8. tradetime

Sorry screamer I don't know what the problem is, I can only suggest possibly the Schedule somehow is over riding you choice to exit protection. Coldmoon will be able to help you with this since he works with or is connected to the program

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

screamer,

I think we all feel your pain....

Could the problem be tied to a secondary factor associated with Comodo PFW? I don't use it, so I don't know all the features, but many current firewalls go beyond simple firewalling. Again, the only thing that I can speculate on as a potential cause of the behavior that you are seeing at this point is another application blocking a needed change at restart.

Blue

10. tradetime

I run Comodo on a desktop with Returnil and there are no issues, it does have a behavioral monitor. I still think this is related to the Returnil scheduler since it is shown as active in all screamers screens. Possibly the scheduler is dominant over the user pref instead of the other way around.

11. screamer

ehh, I don't know about CPFW preventing changes. I doubt it, it's not the version w/ HIPS.

In any case, I want to thank everyone for their efforts :)

...screamer

12. screamer

Tradetime, the reason for me to use this app, was the scheduler.

off to install SD.

...screamer

13. tradetime

Coldmoon will return to this, because obviously if there is an issue with the software he will want to get to the bottom of it.

14. tradetime

Yes, I gathered that, sorry we couldn't be more help :(

15. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi screamer,
    The way it is described is more akin to what will happen with Session Lock if you only log out of your user account and do not completely reboot the computer. If you only logout, the protection will not be released.

This is the first time we have recieved a report that Session Lock was not released at complete reboot of the computer. If you would be willing, could you activate the scheduler and then schedule the current hour to be off. Allow RVS to reboot your computer and then verify the status of the System Protection by logging into your account. Once the hour is configured, there will be a one minute delay then you will see the countdown/reboot warning window.

Mike

16. screamer

Hi Coldmon,

I'm sorry, I already un-installed the app.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.