return to an earlier build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bolan, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolan

Bolan Guest

Greetings,

Is it possible to return to an earlier build of TI7? I'm running TI7 build 627. I went to restore one of my drives and after using the boot disk and selecting the backup I wanted, it would freeze. No mouse movement, no anything.

I didn't have this problem with the previous build. I have a P4 3.4EE on an Asus P4C800E deluxe. I also have a seagate 160gig SATA hard drive as my boot drive.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Bolan

Should be, but make sure you make a full uninstall of #627.

Do you not have and old build BootDisk to use?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Bolan

Bolan Guest

Yes, I have the boot disk from the last build.

I just don't have the installation file.

4. TheQuest

Hi, Bolan

So what is the problem.

Take Care,

5. Bolan

Bolan Guest

It still freezes no matter which build boot disk I use. I was thinking, since the previous build of TI7, not just the boot disk, would work since it worked before without a problem.

6. TheQuest

Hi, Bolan

I do not know why the old BootDisk will not work.

If it worked before it should still work, as you are in memory.

Makes no sense to me.

Have you added any hardware or altered the BIOS, since the old BootDisk worked.

Take Care,

7. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

Nothing has been changed that I remember. The BIOS is pretty much all default for the most part but it's definitely not overclocked.

Is it possible I have to wait awhile while it checks the drives? Could that be causing it to freeze? I don't recall whether it took a little while to read the drives and such from my last restore.

I guess I could try it again just to see if in fact it does need a few minutes (or more)

Thank you for your help this far :)

8. TheQuest

Hi, Bolan

I agree it will not hurt to try again.

Glad to see you are now a Member of Wilders Forums. :D

So Welcomed to Wilders and Acronis Forums. and all the rest, enjoy your time here and around, so much help it hard to go else were other then Wilders and [DiamondCS. Private] :eek: :D

Take care,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  9. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

I tried again and it still freezes. It never did this with build 613.

I restored a few times with build 613, too. At this point, I'm at a loss. If I can't even use the restore function when I boot, TI7 is worthless to me.

The only thing that may have changed is the mouse I use. I went from a Logitech MX700 wireless to an MX510 corded. But the thing is, it freezes during the scan of my drives with the cursor in the hourglass.

I don't have any earlier boot disks aside from the last build. Any suggestions at this point would be appreciated. I'm not ready to scrap TI7 just yet. But I do need something reliable to use for backup.

Thank you

And thank you or the warm welcome :)

And I'm a long time user of TDS-3 as well :)

10. TheQuest

Hi, Bolan

Have you tried the old mouse, and is the new PS/2 or USB.

Take Care,

11. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

The new mouse is ps/2.

I haven't tried the old mouse yet. I have some work to do on this computer later, including changing out the PSU.

I'll try again after I'm done with the work I need to do. It may well be the PSU giving me problems. It seems to always freezes up when it's checking the C and D drive (1 SATA HDD, 2 partions). The PSU is running very very hot which is why I'm replacing it. The rails are all within spec though. But they could dip too low when the CD drive and the HDD are being accessed at the same time.

Going to get some sleep now since it's almost 4am EDT (New Jersey time :eek: ) so I'll see you in about 12 hours ;)

Again, thank you for your time and patience with me :)

12. thedakster

thedakster Registered Member

Hi, I have a P4C800-E MB with a Raid0 Array on the ICH5-R for boot and a separate 160GB SATA drive on the Promise 378 controller. My TI boot disk ALWAYS freezes EXCEPT when I disable the Promise 378 controller in the BIOS. I have tried all of the linux command lines parameters (acpi=off noapic) to no avail and am waiting for a further response. let me know if you have any success sooner. o_O

13. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I have an ISO of the Acronis Support Boot CD. It was made available as a download in March 2004 for users having restore freezes. Might be worth a try. PM me and I can e-mail it to you (it's 15 MB). I have boot CDs for every 7.0 build. When my restore froze, only the build 589 CD worked for me.

Nick

14. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

Hi All

I did the work I wanted to do on my computer, changed PSU, added ram and cleaned up cables.

It still freezes with the boot up disk with both builds. At this point, if I can't use the boot disk, TI7 is worse than useless. It's now a liability because I can't count on it.

Nick S. I PM'd you for that ISO. Maybe that'll solve the problem. I don't know what else to do.

If Acronis Support is reading this, please help me resolve this issue.

Thank you

15. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

I think I fixed the freezing problem. However, it only works with the build previous to 627....613 I believe is the build that works.

My new mouse is actually a USB mouse with a PS/2 adapter. I tried a true ps/2 mouse but it still froze. I took the adapter off my new mouse (MX510) and installed it into a USB port. I then enabled legacy USB devices in the BIOS, disabled ps/2 mouse support and booted to the 613 build boot disk. I was able to use all functions in the recovery area.

I tried the same thing with both build 627 and the ISO that Nick gave me but it froze both times.

I don't like having to use the mouse in the USB port as I believe it's a waste of resources for something so minor. But since it works, I'll keep things as they are.

Thanks for your help Nick S. and TheQuest. Very much appreciated.

Now I hope if I really do need to restore from a back up, it doesn't fail me. I guess I'll find out when the time comes :)

16. TheQuest

Hi, Bolan

Sorry to not get back sooner, but needed some sleep.

Glad to see you have it working.

Good luck and Imaging.

Take Care,

17. Charles Plumb

Charles Plumb Registered Member

I have mouse freeze on my Sony RZ32G Viao with all versions -- if I use acpi=off noacpi, the mouse works find on 7 Build 613

18. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

Where do you enter that command? I've read about it but never knew how to use it.

19. Charles Plumb

Gosh I hate doing this because its an exact copy form the forum and I can't remember who said it - so thanks to a forum member who said the following:

"As mentioned several times here (though surprisingly absent from the official documentation last time I checked), try booting from the full rescue CD and as soon as it starts booting press F11. Add the options "acpi=off noapic" to the kernel parameters."

"Alternatively, you could try the same F11 trick, but rather than adding the above items to the kernel options, remove the existing "quiet" option. This should give you an idea why the boot CD isn't working. (and possible workarounds"

20. TheQuest

Hi, Charles Plumb

No need to hate doing it, that what we all post for to share help.

The first to post about it was way back by a guest:- #1

Take Care,

21. Charles Plumb

Thanks Quest - I appreciate that :)

22. Bolan

Bolan Registered Member

Thank you Charles. That apic=no apic command worked for me with build 627 boot disk as well. And quite nicely I might add :)

Thank you all for the help. I'd be lost without this place :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.