Return code 120

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mavrick5, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavrick5

mavrick5 Registered Member

One of our PC's has just started getting Return Code 120 whenever it tries to do an update of the program modules. Updating of the virus definition files seems to be OK. Any ideas what a 120 code refers to?

Thanks

2. mavrick5

Further to this, I have also reset the user id and password but I am still getting the same error.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I am not sure what 120 error code means when NOD32 is installed but as you mention PCU ("update of program modules") one my think on installation . While installing NOD32 , 120 means "registering service error" .

Do you use this computer with "Limited user" account while doing the PCU

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, this is a Windows error on your computer that NOD32 is reporting.

Please complete the following to see what is missing or damaged within your Windows:

For Windows XP

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in cmd
    Click on OK
    Type in netsh winsock reset
    (Please note there are spaces between the netsh and winsock and reset)

Press ENTER
    Restart your computer.

If the above does not work then please download and run WinsockXPfix from here: http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

For Windows VISTA

1. Click Start. In the Start Search dialog box, type: cmd, and right-click cmd.
    2. Click Run as administrator.
    3. Type: netsh winsock reset, and then press the ENTER key.
    4. Type: Exit and press ENTER.
    5. Restart the computer

Sometimes this error is caused by insufficient permissions; even when you are logged as an Administrator.

Check if you have full control for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry. You can do this by right clicking on the mentioned registry from Regedit, select permissions and then set full control for Admin. Don't forget to mark Inherit from parent the permission entries.... found by clicking on the “Advanced” button of the same Permissions window.

AFTER the above please complete the following:

1. Download and save to your desktop a FRESH copy of NOD32 from http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

• NEW Installations ONLY – please see the following link that has very simple STEP by STEP PICTURES showing the correct method for doing so: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=201852#post201852

• Entering a Username and Password – please see the following link that has very simple STEP by STEP PICTURES showing the correct method for doing so: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=907626#post907626

2. Uninstall your current version of NOD32 through the Windows Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

3. Reboot your Computer.

4. Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

5. Install the FRESH copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using “Typical Settings”.

6. Check your settings against those found in the following NOD32 Tutorial: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

After this run a scan by following these steps:

1. Click on the NOD32 Control Centre (Green and White split square on the bottom right hand corner of your computers screen).
    2. Click on NOD32.
    3. Click on Run NOD32.
    4. Click on “Scan and Clean”.

Cheers :D

5. mavrick5

Yes, the error comes up with a limited user account but I have also tried logging in as an administrator and it comes up with the same error.

I will have a go at Blackspears suggestion with the winsock repair and reinstall.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

7. mavrick5

OK, here is the update and it is all bad news.

I tried the winsock reset only to discover that the pc only had XP SP1 and not SP2. So, I downloaded SP2 and tried to install it. It will not install. It comes up with an error. I googled the error and the only answer I can find is to re-register the licdll.dll file and then reboot, which I did. Unfortunately, it still will not work.

So, I thought I need to get NOD32 working, regardless of XP SP2 being installed or not. I used the winsockxpfix to reset winsock. It then wouldn't let me connect to the PC (I am doing all of this remotely). Finally got the pc up and running again so I uninstalled NOD32 and then tried to reinstall. I now get an error stating that I need winsock 2.0 to continue the installation, which is on XP SP2, but I can't load SP2.

I am going around in circles here. I need to get either SP2 installed or NOD32 installed. I do not want to take the pc back to our 3rd party for reinstallation from scratch as it will cost over $500 and I don't have a copy of XPPro with SP2 to install myself.

Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.