Restoring to new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jazzman122, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzman122

jazzman122 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am attempting to restore a Windows 2003 SBS install to new hardware using Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 with Universal Restore.

Old server has 2 IDE HDDS
    disk 1 has 2 partitions - c:\ and x:\
    disk 2 has 1 partition - d:\

c:\ contains an old install of NT4, and is the boot partition- windows' boot loader lets u choose between NT4 & SBS
    x:\ contains data only
    d:\ contains the Windows 2003 SBS install.

New server has 2 sata HDDS, completely different processor etc.

I proposed to make an image of d:\ then restore it to the new server, but it wont boot no matter what i do with boot.ini, fixmbr, bootcfg. The best i can get is a repeating boot/reset. Loading recovery console on the NEW server allows me to log on to the c:\windows installation, but bootcfg /sccan doesnt detect any windows installs. (HUH?) Can it be as simple as a drive letter error? ie registry refers to d:\ but it is now c:\

I did not want to image/restore disk 1 and 2 as it is a messy setup with c:\ being a waste of a partition, do i HAVE to image/restore everything (c:\, x;\, d:\) to retain the original mbr/boot.ini etc or can i fix my 'clean' restore?

Thanks in advance.

2. dr_otgonbayar

dr_otgonbayar Registered Member

hi. i think you need clone old hard to new hard and, after repair xp. all right.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jazzman122 and Dr_otgonbayar,

Thank you for using Acronis Server Disk Backup software

We'd like to inform you that you can do the following to get teh described result:

1. Restore all 3 partitions from the image so the letter of Win2003 partition will be saved.

2. Delete unnecessary partititons

3. Boot your computer from Windows Installation CD and issue the following commands:

FIXMBR D:
    FIXBOOT D:
    COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR D:\
    COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM D:\
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

You can create new partitions on the remaining unallocated space so all the drive capacity will be used.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.