Restoring to new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jazzman122, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzman122

jazzman122 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am attempting to restore a Windows 2003 SBS install to new hardware using Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 with Universal Restore.

Old server has 2 IDE HDDS
    disk 1 has 2 partitions - c:\ and x:\
    disk 2 has 1 partition - d:\

c:\ contains an old install of NT4, and is the boot partition- windows' boot loader lets u choose between NT4 & SBS
    x:\ contains data only
    d:\ contains the Windows 2003 SBS install.

New server has 2 sata HDDS, completely different processor etc.

I proposed to make an image of d:\ then restore it to the new server, but it wont boot no matter what i do with boot.ini, fixmbr, bootcfg. The best i can get is a repeating boot/reset. Loading recovery console on the NEW server allows me to log on to the c:\windows installation, but bootcfg /sccan doesnt detect any windows installs. (HUH?) Can it be as simple as a drive letter error? ie registry refers to d:\ but it is now c:\

I did not want to image/restore disk 1 and 2 as it is a messy setup with c:\ being a waste of a partition, do i HAVE to image/restore everything (c:\, x;\, d:\) to retain the original mbr/boot.ini etc or can i fix my 'clean' restore?

Thanks in advance.

2. dr_otgonbayar

dr_otgonbayar Registered Member

hi. i think you need clone old hard to new hard and, after repair xp. all right.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jazzman122 and Dr_otgonbayar,

Thank you for using Acronis Server Disk Backup software

We'd like to inform you that you can do the following to get teh described result:

1. Restore all 3 partitions from the image so the letter of Win2003 partition will be saved.

2. Delete unnecessary partititons

3. Boot your computer from Windows Installation CD and issue the following commands:

FIXMBR D:
    FIXBOOT D:
    COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR D:\
    COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM D:\
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

You can create new partitions on the remaining unallocated space so all the drive capacity will be used.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.