Restoring TI7 image using TI9 boot CD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mowog74, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mowog74

mowog74 Registered Member

I purchased TI7 a long time ago and recently used it to create a backup image. Now I want to restore this image but am unable to boot from my TI7 boot CD--I get the "acronis loader" message, then the graphical splash screen, then black, and nothing else.

After reading several forum posts, I tried hitting F-11, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Then I downloaded the TI9 trial and created a boot disc with it. With this CD, F-11 did work, and I was able to get the recovery console running by using the "acpi=off noacpi" option. But when I try to recover my TI7 image, it gets about halfway through before reporting that the image is corrupt.

Is this just because recovering a TI7 image with the TI9 recovery console isn't supported, or is my image really corrupt? It was created with normal compression, and is on a separate hard drive from the c: partition where I'd like to restore. If this isn't supported, does anyone have any tips for getting my TI7 boot CD to boot?

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mowog74,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 (within Windows and in rescue mode) can restore an image created with Acronis True Image 7.0.

Could you please verify your image archive integrity by using Check Archive tool of Acronis True Image 9.0 within Windows and rescue mode?

If you image is not corrupted, please try to restore it within Windows.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. mowog74

Hi Tatyana,
    Thank you for the reply and for the information. It doesn't appear that I can use the Check Archive function of TI9 in rescue mode since I'm only using the trial version (remember I have the full version of TI7, but only the trial of TI9). I would prefer not to buy an upgrade just for this.

I can't easily check anything within Windows as the computer will not boot at the moment (not an emergency, it's just a secondary computer).

Do you have any other suggestions for things to try? Thanks again!

Mike Powell

4. Acronis Support

Hello mowog74,

First of all, please note that the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 has no such limitation. It should allow you to check and restore images while running in rescue mode.

Could you please try to check the image archive integrity using Bootable Rescue CD created with the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more?

If you still can not perform this action for some reason then please let us know what exactly happens when you try to use the embedded Check Archive tool while the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running in rescue mode.

Please connect the hard drive your image archive resides on to any other computer which can boot into Windows, install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 on this computer and verify your image archive by means of the embedded Check Archive tool. Please inform us about the results.

As for the problem with booting from Acronis True Image 7.0 Bootable Rescue CD, please be aware that Acronis True Image 7.0 is a very old version and not being updated any more, so it might not support some modern hardware.

However, the first thing I would recommend you to do is to make sure that you use the latest build (63:cool: of Acronis True Image 7.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persist with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (63:cool: of Acronis True Image 7.0 then please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that since you use the older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears but not when the selection screen appears.

If nothing of the above helps and you still can not boot from Acronis True Image 7.0 Bootable Rescue CD, while at the same time you can boot the same PC from Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest you is to visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. mowog74

Once again, thank you for the reply. I'll try all of these as I have time and will post back with the results.

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed by the responsiveness and thoroughness of the support you guys provide through this forum. You've obviously read my posts carefully and have provided lots of information and options to try in response. Thanks again!

6. Acronis Support

Hello mowog74,

Please accept my sincere apologies for misleading you.

I've just been informed that the free trail version limitations have changed recently, so that it can only Restore images when running in rescue mode. Check Archive tool is not available when the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running in rescue mode.

This means that you will not be able to perform the first part of my instructions. However, you still can check your image archive from under Windows as it is described in the second part of my instructions.

Please post back with the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  7. bstansbury

bstansbury Registered Member

Alexey Popov,

I'm glad you corrected you statement about the Trial version. When you say it will perform a "Restore" from within REscue mode,... is that when it re-boots the system? When I did this, all of my drive numbers were scrambled. I could work around this because I know where my backup image is located. If this is true, you could have saved me alot of wasted time on my post. If this information was there, I would not need to even try to reboot from my TI ver 6 disk.

8. Acronis Support

Hello bstansbury,

Yes, you are correct. The free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to restore images when it is running in rescue mode, i.e. in the following cases:

- When using Bootable Rescue CD;

- When using Acronis Startup Recovery Manager;

- When the image restoration process is started from under Windows and Acronis True Image 9.0 reboots your PC into a special "standalone" mode, since the partition you try to restore is currently in use (e.g. the system partition).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. bstansbury

bstansbury Registered Member

Alexey Popov, Thanks again for the info. I think you last post is so important to all the users out there that is should be part of a "Sticky".

When I ran the trial version and tried to backup one of my disk, I got some kind of error message say, "The Trial version of TI 9 will not allow this process to run".

I made a bad assumption at that point that the Trial version would not complete "Any" task that was started.

I also believe I tried to make a "Boot" disk from inside TI 9 but also did not work. Would you confirm this.

Again, back to your post,.. if I had know that "Rescure" would work, I could have saved myself 3 days working with Acronis support, this forum, and 2 days of time on the phone with Microsoft. The post you could made could be titled "TrueImage V9,..What works and what doesn't"

Thanks again.

10. Acronis Support

Hello bstansbury,

We are glad to inform you that we are going to add the information about Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version limitations to the "Sticky" post in the nearest future.

Could you please clarify what exact action you want to perform? Please desribe your actions step by step.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.