Restoring partition - 5 seconds remaining, going on an hour

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dferrey, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dferrey

dferrey Registered Member

My Lenovo T61 laptop 100gb hard drive started dying. I was able to get Acronis Home 2009 installed and made a backup to a USB drive.

I put in a 320gb drive and did a restore starting from the recovery CD. It appeared to work perfectly, except that my new 320gb hard drive was now a 100gb hard drive :).

I clearly missed the step to expand it so.....

I went into Acronis from windows and started a new restore (from the same location), this time I expanded the partition to the full size.

I'm now looking (and have been for some time) at the Operation Status screen which says:

2 of 3 - Restoring Partition

Current operation progress: (bar about 75%)
    Total Progress: (bar at 100%)

Remaining time: 5 seconds

USB drive light blinking as is the laptop HD light

Should I be concerned?

2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Why not just clone your old existing HD to the new one in an enclosure? You'll be able to adjust the size of the partitions. Then switch them out. I've done it twice with no problems on the Acronis end. (just with Dell Media Direct the 1st time).

PS Sorry I didn't think that you're probably speaking of a desktop. I suppose you could still clone the new drive by putting it in an extra slot assuming you have one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. dferrey

I'm not sure why I would want to buy an enclosure when what I'm trying to do is supported exactly as I'm trying to do it (isn't it).

Beside, I said the drive was dying

4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Yeah, I thought more about your problem after I posted. I'm also not sure about backing up to a USB (thumb, HD). Do you mean ATI or your entire 100 gig HD?

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That oddity of the Total Progress bar has been mentioned a number of times here. The ironic thing is that in the 2009 beta it worked perfectly. Just let the process run and as long as the Current Operation bar moves you're okay.

6. dferrey

I took my eye off it for a few minutes, next I see the screen go blank and it's rebooting which scared me as I hadn't checked the reboot box.

However, it came up fine, and i now see the entire drive, yahoo.

Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.