Restoring files from full & incremental backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FredricJLowe, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Registered Member

I had to restore my Outlook Express inbox. Something happened to delete all emails in the inbox from 9/1/2005 to 10/25/06. I tried to do a Windows System Restore and made matters worse. System restore eventually froze and I had to disable it. So I started doing the Recovery. I cliked on View Files and Folders and Autoplay appeared indicating files and folders were being transferred, and finally they appeared as files and folders on the desktop. I then went to the inbox and copied the file to its location in Windows Explorer. I did this for the initial full backup I made last May 26. I then checked Outlook Express and the emails were recovered successfully up to May 25, 2006. I then did this for the first incremental backup and copied the folder to its .dbx inbox location and launched Outlook Express. In July, I had done a new full backup and changed the Acronis backup to not backup my external drive from which I backedup my C Drive. Incremental backups have occurred every week on Saturday since then. I recovered the first new full and first incremental backup and launched Outlook Express and it successfully recovering more of the emails. I skipped the remaining incremental backups to the last incremental backup and recovered it. I launched Outlook Express and all of the missing emails were now present up to last Friday, Oct. 20, 2006.

I have a nimber of questions if you can assist me.

First, was it ok to skip to the last incremental backup or must I recover each one. I know it was successful for recovering Outlook Express after skipping from the first incremental backup to the last, but for other recoveries in the future, I am not sure.

Next, is there any way to create a custom recovery to recover a series of the incremental backups so that I would not have to do it manually. If I did it manually for each of the skipped ones from July to Oct 21, 2006, it could take have taken hours and hours.

I found the Mount Image program very time consuming, considering I only needed to recover that 1 folder: Inbox.dbx

I started experimenting and found the Recovery tab at the top, cliked on Restore Data Wizard, highlighted the backup to recover a file from, put in my password, restore specified files or folders, to its original location, then found the file I wanted to recover (inbox.dbx) and proceeded. It then recovered the folder. This ran much quicker than the Mount Image approach. Again, I am not sure I was doing the procedure correctly, but it seemed to have worked.

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

First, I admit I didn’t have time to read and comprehend your entire message – my lack of time, not your explanation is at fault.
    When you select any INC in a set to recover from, TI will include that INC, all INCs that came before it and the FULL.
    HTH.

3. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. It answered my question. Restoring incremental backups automatically includes all previous incremental backups and full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.