restored Linux-HD doesn´t boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ingo_Thomas, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingo_Thomas

Ingo_Thomas Registered Member

Hello to all,
    im using ATI9 (Built 3567) on a XP Prof-Machine. I created a bootable CD and made a Image of my server-HD. I´m running Linux10.0 on that machine, hda is containing 3 prtitions (mounted on /boot, swap and /). I´m using grub as boot-manager.
    The image is ok, the check shows no problems.

When I restore the image to another disk (other size, other geometry) in the server, the image is restored without errors. I can change the size of the partitions when restoring, everything works as I expected when doing a desaster recovery (actually it´s a test, therefor no panic ore time-stress)

When booting the machine with this hd, it just stops booting, last promt is "grub"
    When booting from CD, at least the two data-partitions are mountable, the data on it is ok.

I read, that in the MBR is stored the information for grub to work with the partitions, according to cylinders, numbers of head, start an end cylinder of the partitions, etc.
    Is there a possibility within ATI9 to update the MBR with the actual values, created by ATI when resizing the Partitions during restoring?

Thanks
    Ingo

2. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Ingo,

this has been so ever since.

What has always helped here is to boot from a Knoppix live CD with bootparameter 'knoppix 2' to avoid startup of graphic subsystem (saves time). This will log you in as root.

Then

'mount -o dev /dev/hda3'

or wherever your Linux is.
    Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst on that mountpoint if needed. Do a

'chroot /mnt/hda3 grub-install /dev/hda' and reboot.

-Hans

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ingo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, drhanso is right. The boot loader should be re-activated in case you resize partitions while restoring an image of such a hard drive.

Thank you Hans. Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. Ingo_Thomas

Hello Hans, Hello Kirill,

thanks for your advice, but with this I din´t get it.

I have the Problem, that the /boot-Partition on hda is hda1 and the root-Partition is hda3.

I can mount both partitions nearly the way Hans told me to do. I had to specify a target in the mount-command "mount -o dev /dev/hda1 /mnt"

So I mounted hda3 (=/root) to /mnt in the Filesystem of my Rescuesystem (Suse10.1).
    /hda1 is mounted to /mnt/boot.

When using "chroot /mnt grub-install /dev/hda" I get the error that not device /dev/hda is found (or not a block-device)

Whats wrong?

Ingo

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ingo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try to do the following:

- mount /dev/hda3 to /mnt/tmp/
    - mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp/boot and only after that use chroot.

Please let us know your results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Ingo_Thomas

Hello,
    I was off the topic for several weeks.

After downloading Built 3694 :thumb: I tested it with my boot-problem, an everything ist working now.

Even if I resize the Partitions during the restoring session, the MBR is written automaticly and correct on the harddisk. The Grub problem disapeard.

Thanks to all, who tried to help me, namely Hans, Kirill, Tatyana. (and the onknown coder, who solved my problem within the actual built)

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany

Ingo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.