Restore troubles with SCSI and Ide on the original machine.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Doh, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doh

Doh Registered Member

Hi all,
    Forgive me my poor english.
    Also I am an newby with Acronis True Image Server.
    I made an image of an exchange server with an serverraid 5i controller, disk are configured on raid 5 level . It went well, backupfile is created on an USB ide external drive.
    To test the backup I restored it on an other machine with also an Xeon processor and an Ide harddisk (no sata). This works fine, the machine boots and exchange works. YES...
    This is the ultimate test and it works fine, I made several test to be sure all works fine. Conclusion: No problemo.

I must increase the diskspace on the original machine, ecxhange and other applications taking a lot of diskspace.
    When I merged and synchronized the new disk after a reboot the server hangs....
    Then I decide to restore the backup of the exchange server back on the original machine, but..... no result.
    Machine hangs in the w2k startup screen.
    Then I decide to restore it on a IDE drive after booting the machine. You can see an black sreen with an blincking cursor. I tested with an other bootable disk, an regular w2k disk and it boots....

I am confused so the restore works on an other machine but the resore doesn't work on the original machine?

I have tried a lot off things:
    first the settings on the bios, delete the raid configuration and made an new one, raid bios settings, startup sequence,
    repair with W2Kserver cd doesn't work, fdisk /mbr not working and so on and so on.

What does it takes to restore the backup back to the original machine with an increase disk space.

I want to use sysprep but it was not necessary because it works fine on an other machine with an other harddisk device from SCSI raid5 > Ide.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Doh --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your purchase!

1) Please, can you tell me what model of RAID controller are you using and what number and models of drives do you have?

2) Please also try to boot from Windows Recovery disk and in Recovery Console type "boot.cfg /rebuild" and "fdisk /fixmbr"

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. Doh

Doh Registered Member

Hi Anton,

It's a IBM ServerRaid 5i Raid Controller PCI-U320 SCSI 128MB. As mensioned in the first post. And tried partly solution 2. But I shall try option boot.cfg /rebuild.

Hopely it works but, I find it very odd why you cannot restore it on the original machine.

"Then I decide to restore the backup of the exchange server back on the original machine, but..... no result"
    I used the acronis image to restore the partitions.

Sorry Anton to mention this but.
    I do not contact he helpdesk @acronis. In the past I sent an mail with some simple questions and it took almost 2 weeks to get an reply.

But I am very glad we have acronis true image server, it have potention. The only thing is this disturbance with the restore on the raid 5 disk.

I hope and I think you or other members have a sollution for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Doh.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  4. Doh

Doh Registered Member

Nobody......?
    :'(

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Not during the weekend :) No doubt Acronis Support will attend this thread as soon as time permits.

regards.

paul

6. Doh

Doh Registered Member

Thanx Paul,

Let's wait...

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Doh --

Plz see the reason of my absence described in a separate thread :p

Well, did you try the options I provided? Or they didn't work?

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.