Restore to new drive after crash

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sar3195, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sar3195

sar3195 Registered Member

I did an incremental backup of my hard drive "C" yesterday. The only hard drive in my system. This was the third incremental backup of that drive that I have done.
    I used Acronis True Image 10 Home.
    Today my hard drive crashed. I can't read it even on another computer.
    Can I restore the files from my backups to a new hard drive using another computer?
    The other computer already has a hard drive that is a "C" drive.
    I can install the new hard drive as a slave in the working computer. The drive I use as my backups is in an external enclosure and used from a USB port.

I am using Windows XP with service pack 1,2, and3.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

sar3195:

The easiest way to get back up and running is to do this:

1. Remove the old hard disk from the PC
    2. Install a new, blank hard disk in its place (with the same jumper settings if it's an IDE drive)
    3. Boot your PC from the Acronis recovery CD while your external USB disk is attached
    4. Start TI 10 in "Full" mode
    5. Restore the image on the external USB disk to your new, blank, internal hard disk. Browse to the location of and then select the last incremental image file. TI will restore the full followed by all of the incrementals
    6. If the new hard disk is larger than the old, select only the "C" partition (not the entire disk). You will eventually see a screen that will let you resize the image. Make it fill the entire disk.
    7. When the operation completes, reboot your PC

Check any post by GroverH for illustrated guides on how to do this.

3. fungus

fungus Registered Member

You should remove the dead hard disc and install a new hard disc in the same place, just like the dead drive had been installed.

Now connect the USB drive as usual.

Put your Acronis Boot CD in a CD drive that will boot your computer. Boot that CD and then tell Acronis to restore the backup file that is on the USB drive.

Because I don't do incremental backups I'm not sure if you point to the last full backup, or the latest incr backup. I'll bet it doesn't matter.

When the backup image has been restored, you should be able to remove the CD and boot from Windows and be back in business.

If you don't have the boot CD you can use some other computer to download the latest TI 2009 trial version and install it long enough to build a boot CD. Everything you need to restore will be on the CD, except the actual archive that is on the usb drive. Some time ago I also had a need for a boot CD that would work on TI v10, the V-2009 CD did the job.

Perhaps someone else can offer some better ideas.

Fungus

Edit: Oops, Mark has already solved this.

4. sar3195

Thanks for the replies.
    I will try to recover now.

5. sar3195

:) Thanks for the replies.
    I will try to recover now.

6. sar3195

Thanks for the replies, I will do as directed.

7. sar3195

Restore worked just great.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.