Restore to a mirrored drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by curve, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curve

curve Registered Member

Hi,

I've just used Backup and Recovery 11 Compact Edition to backup my data drive before implementing a Windows 7 Mirrored drive setup.

When I went to restore the data, the software told me that it couldn't work with the new mirrored drives. When I went through the restore data dialogue however, un-checking the old drives system volume information and just selecting the user data for the restore, the restoring files process seems to have started OK.

Is this going to be OK, or am I doing something that's going to screw up my new configuration?

Thanks,

Pete

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Pete, Forgive me but could you please explain in a bit more detail.

3. curve

curve Registered Member

Sure, thanks Matt.

I have a machine running windows 7 64 bit. The OS is on an SSD, with the data on a separate standard sata drive.

To improve fault tolerance, I backed up the data drive, and added another sata drive of the same capacity. I then reformatted both of the sata drives in windows, setting them up as a mirrored pair in disk management.

When I went to restore the data drive backup onto the new mirrored pair of disks, Backup and Recovery 11 Compact Edition had a little popup window saying that it couldn't operate with some of my disks, specifically the new mirrored pair. I have managed to proceed through the restore wizard, selecting only the data from the backup, not the system volume folder.

It's still running, and I'm not sure if the warning means that I'm going to screw the new mirrored pair up, or if I'm not going to be able to restore my data with the Backup and Recovery 11 Compact Edition software...

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Gotcha, The warning just means we don't work on the disk level for software raids, because they are dynamic volumes. You can still back up the partitions but the warning just simply lets you know it's not fully supported as such.

5. curve

curve Registered Member

Great. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.