Restore target disk is new!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by littleneil, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleneil

littleneil Registered Member

It's completely backed up but my original hard drive is failing and I'm getting ready to replace it. Is there anything I've got to do differently when resoring to a brand new hard drive? Thank you

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You'll have to use the bootable Rescue cd to do the Restore. And you might have to use the Add New Drive feature depending on which version of True Image you have. Where do you have the Backup?

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

littleneil,
    Are you using TrueImage Home? if yes, what version and is your backup a "disk" backup which includes all partitions on your system drive?

Check line 2 & 3 of my signature below. Perhaps they can help more.

4. littleneil

Thanks for the replies. I use True Image Home v. 11 and use an external hard drive to complete the full disk back up and subsequent incremental back up's. I also made a rescue disk since my hard drive kept crashing requiring restores. So I purchased a replacement hard drive and will install it soon. It has not been taken out of the box yet and I'm uncertain about formatting issues, if any? I also don't know how True Image Home will deal with a brand new drive during the restore operation??

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI will handle a brand new drive, see the 2 replies to your original post.

While you may need to use the add new drive DwnDrtyrefers to so your system sees the drive, you do not have to do anything further about running a format. When your image is restored, the formatting information goes with it so any format you do is overwritten anyway.

Formatting is only the file system structure it does not write exotic sector addressing, timing and other clever stuff like formats of years ago did unless you are doing a true low-level format which nobody really does anymore.

6. littleneil

well then, what a great answer. Thanks

7. littleneil

Well it seems I've failed! After installing the new drive sucessfully, I used my resue disk. I got some questions I didn't know how to respond to. So instead I procedded to reinstallal the original XP operating system. Once installed I attempted to accomplish my complete restore from the external hard drive. Acronis said operation was sucessful. However the PC did not reboot and it appears that my external hard drive has become the C: fixed drive??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.