Restore of OpenSuse 10.2 image fails

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gav28, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gav28

gav28 Registered Member

Hi,

We are evaluating True Image in various scenarios. One restore we cannot get to work is when trying to restore an image of an OpenSuse 10.2 system taken with True Image Server Echo for Linux 8.115. The backup was taken to external USB HDD. When we boot to the True Image Rescue CD, the backup image validates ok. When we then restore the image, the restore appears to work OK, no errors are reported. However, when the server boots, it errors and states "Error Loading Operating System".

Any ideas, suggestions gratefully received!

Gavin

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Gavin:

I can't speak for True Image Server Echo for Linux, but on the Home versions of TI there is an interesting anomaly when restoring ext2 or ext3 partitions. TI Home will zero part of the first sector in the partition, which will zap some of GRUB's code if you have GRUB installed to the Linux partition.

You can fix by reinstalling GRUB from a Linux boot CD.

3. gav28

gav28 Registered Member

Thanks for that. I googled similar issues with OpenSuse and they pointed to a GRUB issue. I reinstalled GRUB and that seems to have resolved my issue, which is great :)

Interesting that Acronis don't recognise this issue anywhere! It's a shame, we are evaluating Acronis, it's a good product, but time and time again I see how shockingly bad the support can be. This is seriously concerning me.

Gavin

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Gavin:

What's interesting is the official explanation for zeroing part of the first sector of an ext2 or ext3 partition, which I've never understood. I believe it has something to do with the requirements of the LILO boot loader, which is nowhere near as common as GRUB anymore, so it would be better if Acronis changed this behavior.

If you frequently restore your OpenSuse partition then you can avoid the issue by creating a separate boot partition to which you install GRUB, or else you can install GRUB to the MBR of the disk.

Acronis support seems to be overwhelmed lately so it may take them a couple of weeks to respond to a forum post. The best way to get support from them is to go to their web site and file a support request. Alternatively, you can get pretty good support here from Acronis users on the forum.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.