Restore individual directories

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob Harris, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Harris

Bob Harris Registered Member

I do understand that an image is a sector by sector copy of partition, warts n' all, as they say. I'm wondering when the image is explored and the virtual drive is created, if a directory or group of files is copied from the virtual drive, would that just be data, without errors that might exist on the original sector?

Just wondering because I'm thinking there may be errors on my drive itself so I would not want to restore the entire image.

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Sincerely, Bob Harris

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Bob,

I think you will find it's a case of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) although I could be wrong.

Open the Windows Command Prompt and type CHKDSK ?: /R /F where ? is the drive you want to check. This will attempt recover data from any bad sectors and prevent them being re-used. If this is successful then create a new backup (quick!) and ditch the suspect drive as soon as possible.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob Harris,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Menorcaman is correct. As always :)

You should check your damaged partition by Windows utility prior to creating an image.

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition on your hard drive.

You will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please note that you can restore this image to the new hard drive without any reasons to worry about the errors, since there is no way to transfer the physical errors by means of the disk imaging process.

However, if you will find any errors on your new hard drive after you will restore the image then please restore it once again resizing the damaged partition a little bit. It should solve the problem.

I recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Bob Harris

Just Data would [is] be copied.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.