Restore IFW Back To Different Size Partition?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DasFox, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

With IFW if I made a backup with the partition one size then later resize it can I restore back to it?

I only have Windows on this hard drive and I wanted to resize it for some empty space and put another partition on it and install Linux to it, but I'm hoping I can do this and then if I need to later restore my saved Windows image back to the different resized image.

THANKS

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

It is my understanding that you can only restore the image if it is restored to a partition that is equal to or greater than the size of the original partition that was imaged. It would be best to E-Mail Terabyte's technical support to be sure.

I recently asked Terabyte's support if I could restore an image of a ~70 GB partition to a 60 GB SSD hard drive. Terabyte's support said "No". I would have to resize down the image on my existing hard drive partition to something lower than 60 GB, then image my existing hard drive partition and use that image to restore to the new 60 GB SSD hard drive. I have not yet performed this operation. The question was for what I would do "if" I purchased a 60 GB SSD hard drive to replace my existing hard drive which contains my System Partition.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I got this reply from them;

IF the target area is smaller than it depends on where the last used area was within the partition. The “Show Information” for IFW or “F1-Details” in IFD/IFL will show you the restore size requirements of a partition. See the appendix for more explanation on how that works.

So it seems like it needs to be placed back on a certain area of the partition?

As far as this appendix is concerned I don't see anything...

4. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.