Restore from DVD not work, why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hanker, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanker

hanker Registered Member

Hello!

I use Acronis True Image Echo 11 Enterprise Server with Universal Restore software for backup my C-harddrive with. Operation system is Windows XP Pro with all hotfix and SP3 enviroment.

I can already do bootable recovery CD and I can also restore data to C-partition if I restore Acronis Backup.tib from another harddisk, no problems.

But I cannot restore data from DVD at all. I try many differen ways like
    UltraISO, INCD an Nero software to burn my working backup.tib file to
    DVD but no lucky yet. Sometimes restore did not find backup.tib or it says
    that file is corrubted. File is not corrubted because validation is OK and
    also other test passed..

I find following good instructions for that job, but it's not work with me or
    ATI version 11...Please help me..

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t381776.html

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The best way to put TI backups on DVDs is to create the backup to a hard drive, but split the backup at 4.7GB. That way you will have several parts each of which can be burned to one DVD. Use your standard DVD burning software and burn each part of the backup to a DVD.

Boot from the TI Recovery CD, select your DVD writer/player as the drive with the backup images, and you should see the .tib file. You can save time by inserting the LAST part of the backup first. After reading it, I will ask for the first part. There's quite a bit of disk swapping, but it's manageable with only three DVDs. It's a pain with more than 3 disks.

If this doesn't work, it's because your DVD drive isn't supported by the Linux drivers on the TI Recovery CD. The only way around that is to install a different drive (and I don't know which one to suggest) or to create a BartPE disk which uses Windows drivers and should communicate with your DVD drive easily.

3. hanker

hanker Registered Member

My DVD-RW drive is Samsung TS-H552U. What you mean Linux drivers? I use Windows XP Pro.

I have also antoher DVD-RW drive NEC 3540. I try next time with this drive to burn my backub.tib to DVD-RW. One question is, How I have to Erase my
    many many time used DVD-RW's? Sometimes I Erase with XP and sometimes
    with Nero..

It is very difficult to understand that why same working backup.tib dos not work from DVD. Only problems is that how I copy it to DVD and what is the
    best burning software for that.. Normally I use Nero 8.2.8.0 Lite software for other burnigs jobs.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hanker,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8076) of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, could you please clarify, did you validate the archive before restoring (i.e., when it's stored on a DVD already)? Was the validation process run from Windows or using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?

Please be aware that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) uses Linux enviromnent to access hardware. Please see this Acronis KB article for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Unless things have changed with TI, you have to use the "direct to dvd" method of creating the Backup if you want to be able to restore from the DVDs. You cannot simply burn the .tib files from a hard drive on to DVDs and then try to restore from those DVDs.

6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

DwnNdrty are you sure about this??
    Unless I am misinterpeting, this seems to be going against the grain. I seem to remember several posts advising to image to a hard drive with 1492 meg compression and then burning 3 of these to DVD disk rather then burning directly to DVD.
    hanker you mention you have "Incd" if I remember properly Incd interfers with True Image.
    He means that the "rescue disk" is a Linux based program with Linux drivers.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is also the environment that gets started even if you do a restore of the active partition from Windows. The program collects the relevant data and then does a reboot into the Linux environment. Windows cannot be running for the active partition to be restored.

8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks for adding that seekforever, I slipped up there!
    Too many senior moments, too little time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.