restore does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by amr, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amr

amr Registered Member

I am trying to restore an Image containing my OS,data,e-mail,etc.which was made with ATI version 8. The Image is on an external drive and I want to restore to a new, formatted, internal drive which is installed along with a new MainBoard and CPU in the old PC case.(The original internal drive and MB in that case failed.) I have both bootable floppies and CDs, made from Version 8 on my other PC. With either the floppies or the CDs, I get to the point where the screen shows Acronis Loader and then the screen goes blank. Nothing happens after that.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Get to another working computer, download the Trial version of version 11, make the bootable Rescue CD and try the Recovery of your version 8 Image from the Rescue CD.

Someone here recently reported that version 11 will restore a version 8 Image.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

TI 8 is probably too old to support your new motherboard.

Use DwnNDrty's suggestion.

4. amr

amr Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I guess I can't use Acronis, version 8, to restore an image made with one MB and hard drive , to a different MB and different hard drive. If that is true, is there a version of Acronis that will let me do so?

5. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You probably have to get Version 11 or # 10 if you can find a copy of that somewhere.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

There are two issues here:

1. TI 8's Rescue CD is too old to have drivers for your new motherboard. That's why you need to use the TI 11 Trial Rescue CD to do the restore.

2. Once you restore the image, the hardware drivers will be for your old motherboard. The system may not even boot. However, you can do a Windows XP "upgrade in place" to have Windows check for the drivers for the new motherboard and get the system booting. Here's a link to instructions on how to do an Upgrade in place:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Once you are able to boot, you can then install any additonal new drivers from the disks that came with the motherboard, video card, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.