Restore CD says newly verified backup is corrupt.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MarkJohnson, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Registered Member

I just tried to restore a Vista backup and get an error stating that, "ATI Home backup archive file is corrupted" and to try to mount if an image and it won't mount and says it is corrupt.

I had just made the backup and validated it (on my eSATA drive) and then I went and made another image from my other computer (on same eSATA drive) so I could use those drives on this computer in a 4 drive raid 0 to make Vista a little faster.

I fired up my Rescue CD and it won't read any of my disks at all. I get a spare HD and use ATI 11 Home and copy my XP drive (that I use to dual boot Vista on this machine for when Vista isn't compatible with some of my programs.)

After I switch boot drives and get RAID 0 setup with my four drives and get into XP and initialize my and format the RAID 0 then I fire up acronis and all of a sudden it gives me this corrupt backup stuff.

I just used all the default settings and the other image is working fine.

I did look at the eSATA drive and it seems to have missing files? here is what it lists:

Vista-P35.tib 34GB
    XPPro Hard Disk.vhd 3.7GB
    XPPro.VMC 12kb
    XPPro-P35.tib 11GB

Now those two other files may be from MS Virtual PC 2007, I'm not sure. could it interfere with ATI 11? or did the second .tib file (Vista) interfere with the first one(XPPro?)

Please tell me there is a way to recover from this? I have a few things I need off the Vista image and didn't backup for a couple of weeks as the ATI verified the image as being good.

-=Mark=-

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you can, try connecting the drive with the Backup Image as an internal drive instead.

I've had a similar problem. I can backup to and external drive (an IDE drive in a ide/sata combo enclosure) but if I try to restore from it I get the "corrupt" message. But I can install the drive as an internal and the restore is successful.

3. MarkJohnson

actually it is already an internal drive. my eSATA case I bought for the drive was bad and wouldn't even come on at all. I just named the drive eSATA when I was pre-formatting it for the eSATA case.

well, I ran disk check on it and it seems fine. I find it strange that is got corrupted so quickly on a new drive and a verified backup. I was hoping there was some obscure setting or something that would allow me to restore it or some trick.

thanks anyway
    -=Mark=-

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Well, that takes care of that idea. :D True Image is full of these idiosyncrasies. You never know when one will turn up so it is best to find a solution that works for you, and the sooner the better.

Personally, I keep a seperate data backup using Windows Explorer to copy those files to an external drive. I use True Image (ver 9) only for whole disk backups.

5. MarkJohnson

Luckily I found a backup CD from a couple weeks ago and it had most everything. All I could think of anyway.

unfortunately I bought this program for my backup solution. I guess I just have back luck/timing.

I too keep backups using explorer/Nero. I just wanted to use this for backing images of complete installs for when virus hits and I can restore on the fly and not spend hours reinstalling windows and the tons of other programs. not to mention getting the theif treatment from MS everytime I have to reactive windows!!

Thanks for the help
    -=Mark=-
    oh yeah, forgot to say I just reinstalled windows and deleted the image file.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MarkJohnson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

Please notice that it is possible that the archive is being declared corrupt because of faulty data transfers. Please run a memory diagnostics such a Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org for a several hours. There should be no errors reported. Please also run Windows chkdsk utility with parameter "/r" on the hard drive the archive is stored at.
    If there are no errors with memory/hard drive reported, please try copying/moving the archive to another location, and validating it again.

Regarding the problem with Acronis Bootable Rescue Media you encountered: please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo26.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.