Resolve Problem - Problem Resolved

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Phil, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Yeah, I already know the subject line is goofy. :rolleyes:

I had mentioned in a different thread I was having a problem getting the Resolve util to work correctly at times. Jason has kindly provided clue on the error of my ways so I thought I should clear the air here because others may do precisely what I did and get the same error.

At times, Resolve would give me "Could not resolve host address" and "Could not find country" on a known good address. What I was doing was a copy/paste from the addy bar of my browser. That of course includes the "http://" part of the address and that part confuses the util and causes the error. So, should you do a copy/paste to locate a web site, delete out the http:// part before you hit the go button and it works like a charm. ;)

HTH
    Phil

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Great Phil, thanks for posting! You got a karma cookie for that!

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Why thank you, Jooske - that's nice of you. I have been wondering what those are. I also noticed I have lost my "newbie" status. Does that mean I can't post stupid stuff any more? :D :D

I forgot to post one other tidbit about the Resolve utility. If the addy ends with something other than "com" (like .org or .net), the util *might* incorrectly ID the site as being in the US. It doesn't do an actual lookup, just makes an assumption based on the resolve. That's no big deal though 'cause you can always go the the Whois util to confirm.

We learn as we go, huh!

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.