Resizing crashes partition - "Non-system disk, press any key..."

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by LittleAlf, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleAlf

LittleAlf Registered Member

Hello,

after successfully using Acronis True Image (last build) for several months I finally bought Acronis DiskDirector for two things:

a) OS Selector to be able to run two copies of Windows 98SE
    b) Resizing of my current partitions.

I have:
    - old HP Vectra VLi8 with one 5.6 GB Quantum Fireball hard disk
    - 1 partition (primary, active) as C: with FAT32

I did the following procedure:
    1) Used the bootable CD to start DiskDirector (build 554) from CD and resized the disk inside DiskDirector: Manual Mode -> Select partition -> Change size: Instead of using the entire 5.6 GB I resized it to use only 3.0 GB.
    2) Executed the change; DiskDirector reported as successfully done. With the unused space I created a second partition; executed the change; DiskDirector reported as successfully done.
    3) Restart of the computer: Blank screen with error message;

Invalid system
    Change media and press any key

No I used the bootable CD to start DiskDirector from CD and looked at info for the first partition:
    a) It reported the partition C: as 100% in use (3,0 GB). This is not true: Only about 500 MB were used before!
    b) It reported this partition to have the following error: "File System Error: Directory damaged."

Let me say it again: This is the very same DiskDirector version and the very same starting procedure, which I used to resize the partition in the first place!

After looking through this forum I learned, that Acronis requires for a bug analysis the Acronis system report "AcronisReport.exe". So I downloaded this tool. Started it, and created a bootable floppy disk.

Unfortunately, even this floppy disk cannot be run successfully on the crashed computer. The following screen messages appear on the HP Vectra after startup from this Acronis Report floppy:

Starting Acronis Loader...
    Processing, please wait...
    Eject floppy then press any key
    Non-system disk, press any key
    MBR Error 3

MBR Error 1
    Press any key to boot from floppy...

MBR Error 2
    Press any key to boot from floppy...

Anybody has any idea, what DiskDirector did to my partition, or my MBR respectively? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

LittleAlf

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LittleAlf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please try to create Acronis Report again:

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Also I can recommend you to boot the computer from a Windows XP Installation CD, start Recovery Console and run fixmbr command or boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command. Please let us know the result.

Thank you
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.