Resize Partition - moves data safely?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by DarkStar, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStar

DarkStar Registered Member

Hi there,

I have an 80GB disc, it has 2 partitions "Recovery" (8GB) and "Local Disk" (72GB). About 20GB of Local Disk is used. (Windows XP Home SP1)

I would like to split the 72GB into 2 partitions, of 36GB each.

I have run Windows Disk Defragmenter and nearly all of the files are now in the first 20Gb of the disc. It shows that there is a batch of data of about 2GB (guessed) about 3/4 of the way along the disc. So there are four areas: (approximately) 20GB mostly used, 30GB unused, 2 GB used, 20 GB unused.

The DD9 User's Guide says use "Create Partition" and select "Use free space of existing partitions". So far so good.

My question is; when I select the new partition to be 36GB, and commit the operation, will DD9 move that 2Gb of data so that it can create the new partition?. If not what can I do?

Alternatively, could I use "Resize Partition" to reduce the partition size from 72GB to 36Gb and afterwards create a new partition in the unallocated space. I have the same question though, does DD9 Resize move data so that it stays inside the new boundaries of the resized partition?

Many thanks for your advice on this.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi DarkStar - the resizing operation knows how to move the data safely around, so that it continues to be part of the (reduced) partition.

But if possible, I recommend that you make a backup of those 20 GB on "Local Disk" and put the backup in a safe place (CD's, DVD's, external disk, a file server) before you start messing with the partion.

Check your XP CD - there is folder called something like Microsoft ValueAdd. Inside that there is a program called NTBackup. Works greate for making backups to disks - but not to CD's and DVD's.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DarkStar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk and Partition Managing Software.

Both ways you described are possible. Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 will be able to handle the data so that it will remain on the decreased partition without corruption. Please note that you will need to reboot the computer to perform the operations after you set them.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. DarkStar

DarkStar Registered Member

Guys, hi there

Many thanks for the confirmation.

I have also got True Image 8, so I will use that for the disc backup onto a Firwire disc before I start. And I wll check that I can boot from the True Image CD and see the Firewire disc, just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.