Resident Shield deactivates itself

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by dazenknights, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juspassinthru

juspassinthru Registered Member

Monday Oct 22nd I called the 800 # because I haven't recieved the CD I ordered with the ewido protection. (Money was taken out of my bank on the 9th of Oct.) I also wanted a license # that I can enter to continue the service after the 1 month trial period, which I never received.

I got a rather nasty e-mail in return that they were AGAIN sending the CD and suggested I print out a copy of the mail. Duh.

While reading the mail, the resident shield once again deactivated.

There is no help at ewido's FAQ, tech support, or here in this forum. Maybe it's time to take my money elsewhere.

2. dazenknights

dazenknights Registered Member

I switched to the free Spyware Terminator. You might want to try it out. I'm fairly impressed.

3. ezywriter

ezywriter Registered Member

I coming to the end of my trial period.

As this problem seems to be un-reproducable, I can understand that a fix is impossible.

But that doesn't give me any comfortable level of protection, so I also will have to look for an alternative while restarting the trial whenever I notice that it has deactivated.

I will revisit the Forum before changing in the hope that there's some breakthrough because I'm impressed with the paid Grisoft AVG Antivirus and firewall. I'll recommend that in my next book about making web-sites, due to be published in December.

But, there's no way I can buy this product or recommend it if it doesn't work for me.

BTW I don't think there's anything regional about this - I'm in Australia and have never heard of any regional problem that causes something like this.

Als, I'm not getting notifications of thread replies either

4. juspassinthru

My situation has been resolved. I was sent my ID # no less that 4 times (I only asked for it twice), and my CD twice in as many days. I have continued with my service and since the paid subscription kicked in, the Resident Shield has remained active.

I will return the 2nd CD.

5. ezywriter

ezywriter Registered Member

I upgraded my AVG Anti-virus and Firewall to the new version with the Anti-Spyware in it.

Some features only work with the latest version of the various Windows operating systems.

I still need to get clarification of how to check some things are actually working.

The the program says everything is (even the stuff I have to upgrade the operating system for, apparently!).

I will get in touch with support but this was not a comfortable time.

I will run another anti-spyware just in case.

6. Rosenkavalier

Rosenkavalier Registered Member

With the one file attachment limit, I'll have to spread this over two posts. Not only have I experienced the problem with the Resident Shield spontaneously closing (although it happened much more often with the previous Ewido version, and less with the new AVG version), but I've experienced an even more confusing problem.

The program will show the icon 'lit', and when I right-click on it, the menu list has the checkmark next to 'Resident Shield'. But when I go to the main program window, the Status tab shows the Resident Shield as Inactive.

I've attached screenshots to demonstrate this. This first one is of the Status tab - - it shows the 'Inactive' Status reported, but the icon 'lit'. Please see the following message for more.

Attached Files:

7. Rosenkavalier

Following up to the previous message, in this screenshot, the Shield stab shows the Resident Shield status as Active. I can switch back and forth between these tabs, and get these different status results reported.

Based on these problems, I'm not expecting to license the software when the trial period expires.

Edit: One more note - - when I'm having this problem, if I 'toggle' the status of the Resident Shield, the color of the 'Active' text on the Shield tab goes from red to green.

Attached Files:

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it seems that this bug still exists in the new AVG Anti-Spyware. anyone else also experience the guard deactivating itself?

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Yep, but only in the trial. Once you enter a license code, it will work without problems. Luckily, we finally found the cause and have fixed it already internally. We are currently working on some other improvements (mainly faster update process) and expect the new version to be released within 1-2 weeks.

10. Rosenkavalier

So the problem I outlined above (icon is 'lit', status is actually inactive, different tabs report different status) definitely goes away when a license code is entered? I'd like to be sure of this before I make up my mind on a final purchase (9 days left on trial). Thanks for replying to the thread.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Post by member greenhorn113 has been moved to a thread of it's own since it concerns AVG Firewall.

This thread---> Testing of AVG Firewall

Bubba

12. juspassinthru

From my previous post: My situation has been resolved. I was sent my ID # no less that 4 times (I only asked for it twice), and my CD twice in as many days. I have continued with my service and since the paid subscription kicked in, the Resident Shield has remained active.

I will return the 2nd CD.

juspassinthru

13. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

I can´t agree. I have the paided version running and I get the information, the Resident Shield is active, but the icon in the taskbar is not shown. In addition, Ewido will not update itself, but I get the information the update should be downloaded automatically.

I did de-install Ewido, delete the folder and was using CCleaner and RegSeeker to clean the registry. The re-installation of Ewido goes very well and the first step, Ewido did update itself by going thru the setup. But now, I have to update manually...

What´s wrong with Ewido?
    The event-log doesn´t show anything related to Ewido. And the service is starting automatically.
    WXP_Pro_SP2 fully patched, NOD32, Sygate and Windows-Defender are running.

Attached Files:

14. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

DevilFrank,

Right click on the ewido icon in the systray and see if "Start with Windows" is check marked. Your problem sounds something like ewido is not starting up on reboot.

I recommend that you update to the latest version of AVG 7.5 Anti-Spyware (V7.5.0.50 plus). It has several enhancements and bug fixes in it over the old ewido named version that you have.

15. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hi,

Yeah Like Silicon said it is highly recommended to switch to AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.50 since there are several bugs fixed. Also some bugfixes regarding the Resident Shield.

Regards,

Vinzenz

16. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

Hi siliconman01,

many thanks. Your tip did help. I did not expect that Ewido did not start with Windows but the service was started (WXP_services).

Hi Vinzenz
    Is the switch essential or recommended. I have a axiom: Never stop a running system...

17. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Peter,

Is it in the final stage of beta testing?

18. souwalker

souwalker Registered Member

Hi
    What's the point if the resident shield in trial version does not work. It's during that trial period you decide whether you'd want to pay for it. I had similar issues for a month with no resolution and I was not going to pay for something which does not work for the trial period but apparantly would for the paid version...their was no guarantee from what I've read from the post above :)
    Anyway, I've since trialed Superantispyware for a month and now paid for 3 lifetime licence too.
    Rgds
    pat

19. Michae

Michae Registered Member

look ,thank you!

20. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

The HDD on my new computer failed in some way, so I took it back to the manufactures service and repair office, They informed that the HDD was corrupted ..?
    And they could back up some files but not all. And had to reload the OS (Windows XP Pro Media Edition)
    They managed to keep my AVG Anti-Spyware Version 7.5.0.50 (Paid)

When I reloaded the AVG Anti-Spyware program and entered my serial key number, then I installed the up dates, every thing worked fine until I noticed that the Resident Shield was shown as
    inactive….

I then clicked the change state sign on the resident Shield, and then a notice with a large red cross came on screen and in the sign box it said Error …. Failed to Activate Resident Shield

Can any one please advise how I can get the resident Shield to work..?

Thanks……. Mypenry

21. Elliven

Elliven Registered Member

Having looked at the registry entries fror Ewido & Grisoft it seems like the Ewido coders have gone to great lengths to make it difficult for a crack to be developed so that the 30 day trial version does not expireo_O

This could explain the problems?

Also malware writers could be targeting this app.
    That would meen that the consider it a serious threat.
    Which would imply that it is a very good program that they want to sabotage.

Then again I could be talking utter BS! :)

I have an Ewido reg entry that changes at each booto_O
    Shouldnt even be there as I have updateed to AVGASo_O
    Need to do some more research...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.